Possible Triples Setup, will it work?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
This lol

Let's discuss the exhaust side of the spectrum. I'm going to assume that, ideally, a person would want the turbine/AR of the secondary to be larger than that of the primaries??

Turbine aspect ratios and wheel trims, like Evan said, usually look great on paper and then perform much differently real world, and are dependent on motor specs, fuel available, and tuning as well. I learned this painfully frustrating lesson with my truck this last year and a half. Basically, instead of theorizing what could work for weeks, theorize for a day. Buy it, build it, tweak if necessary, and learn from it. There is more complication to compounding air with turbos than the turbo specs themselves. You could make damn near any combo work well enough to impress yourself, as long as the overall design was correct. That design part is why the fabricators make their money and have their reputations.... why would they make that knowledge public? Same reason Mike or George or Brad doesn't sell mass kits to just anyone. The average person would buy a triple kit, be completely confused as to how it works and why, in general, and not even question certain design elements of it so there is hardly a problem in that aspect.

But I would be willing to say that as a rule of thumb, with either triples or twins, when you are using the stock charger, especially a Lbz/lmm, you would not want to push the total power output much past what they are capable of alone without gating them at a minimum. Drive pressure needs to be monitered if you are trying things for the first time..

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Turbine aspect ratios and wheel trims, like Evan said, usually look great on paper and then perform much differently real world, and are dependent on motor specs, fuel available, and tuning as well. I learned this painfully frustrating lesson with my truck this last year and a half. Basically, instead of theorizing what could work for weeks, theorize for a day. Buy it, build it, tweak if necessary, and learn from it. There is more complication to compounding air with turbos than the turbo specs themselves. You could make damn near any combo work well enough to impress yourself, as long as the overall design was correct. That design part is why the fabricators make their money and have their reputations.... why would they make that knowledge public? Same reason Mike or George or Brad doesn't sell mass kits to just anyone. The average person would buy a triple kit, be completely confused as to how it works and why, in general, and not even question certain design elements of it so there is hardly a problem in that aspect.

But I would be willing to say that as a rule of thumb, with either triples or twins, when you are using the stock charger, especially a Lbz/lmm, you would not want to push the total power output much past what they are capable of alone without gating them at a minimum. Drive pressure needs to be monitered if you are trying things for the first time..

Me and Tim work on trucks everyday from turbo kits and motors to injectors. We have a heated discussion at least once a
day and we hardly ever agree on turbo setups. The good thing is he never tries what I would and and I would never try what he does. In the end it works out great as it saves us thousands in uhhhh nope that doesn't work so don't try that lol.

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
what is everyone doing about the AC Lines when doing trip's?

Bend that shat out of them. It will work.

next question for anyone that might know.
what all is needed for the new coolant bottle as far as fittings?
i plan to build my own out of 5" aluminum pipe

what psi does the cap need to be and where to buy one with an aluminum neck to weld on?
what size hose fittings are they? (im to lazy to go out and look and guess-timate)
i wanna keep the low fluid sensor, is that screw in deal?

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com

what psi does the cap need to be and where to buy one with an aluminum neck to weld on?
what size hose fittings are they? (im to lazy to go out and look and guess-timate)

http://www.merchant-automotive.com/coolanttankpartskit.aspx

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
what is everyone doing about the AC Lines when doing trip's?

I have too wondered this. They either bend them or find some extension for them?

Bend that shat out of them. It will work.

Anyone happen to have pictures of how they did this?
(I'm slowly prepping my truck for twin/trip install and kinda doing things piece by piece as i can {like one step will be to build battery reloacting bracket and new cabels, next will be to build my puketank ect})

but for right now im doing the fuel system first since i finally bought LP's

Thanks, Thats a little more then i want to spend, i already got the cap and neck now i just need to see if i can find Aluminum Bungs to weld into my can, got an LLY so im going to use a 6" pipe to keep as much coolant as i can.
looks like one is 1/2" hose & the other is 3/4" can anyone confirm or correct this?

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
What you have to do to the AC lines is dependent on where you put your charger/chargers. There is plenty of room to just have to bend them out of the way a little bit if you put them in the right spot. It will be obvious to you once you start building the twins/triples what you have to do to make it work it doesn't take much.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
For the A/C lines, contact Merchant. They made new lines which routed around the outside of the engine compartment when they did a triples build.

Utahski

Oct 20, 2008
Northern Utah
Anyone happen to have pictures of how they did this?
(I'm slowly prepping my truck for twin/trip install and kinda doing things piece by piece as i can {like one step will be to build battery reloacting bracket and new cabels, next will be to build my puketank ect})

but for right now im doing the fuel system first since i finally bought LP's

Thanks, Thats a little more then i want to spend, i already got the cap and neck now i just need to see if i can find Aluminum Bungs to weld into my can, got an LLY so im going to use a 6" pipe to keep as much coolant as i can.
looks like one is 1/2" hose & the other is 3/4" can anyone confirm or correct this?

Most coolant is in the system and there's a lot of it. The reservoir is for overflow and doesn't really need to be huge. Mine is a 3" tube 12" long and holds plenty enough. It doesn't have a low coolant indicator but I keep an eye on things and there are no problems. In my avatar picture it hadn't been installed yet, but it's mounted on the fan shroud which makes less going on back where the turbos are and less plumbing......the hoses are very short. Being not large diameter it doesn't take up a lot of space. It's been a good solution.

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Most coolant is in the system and there's a lot of it. The reservoir is for overflow and doesn't really need to be huge. Mine is a 3" tube 12" long and holds plenty enough. It doesn't have a low coolant indicator but I keep an eye on things and there are no problems. In my avatar picture it hadn't been installed yet, but it's mounted on the fan shroud which makes less going on back where the turbos are and less plumbing......the hoses are very short. Being not large diameter it doesn't take up a lot of space. It's been a good solution.

Did you bend your a/c lines for the triples to work, or buy merchants?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
Okay after all the BS in this thread, I am think about using HX40's with the S366. But I am not sure how small of a exhaust housing I can get. If someone can get me a line a set of matching HX35 or HX40, cheap I am willing to build a set to put this theory.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
Okay after all the BS in this thread, I am think about using HX40's with the S366. But I am not sure how small of a exhaust housing I can get. If someone can get me a line a set of matching HX35 or HX40, cheap I am willing to build a set to put this theory.

I would search the Cummins forum's or CompD for HX35 and HX40 turbo's.

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I would search the Cummins forum's or CompD for HX35 and HX40 turbo's.

Ya I have been watching comp. How do you compare AR with CM? The smallest housing for the HX40's a 12cm vs a 9cm the HX35. I an not sure if that is to big and have now way of comparing it to a S360, which I know will work