LLY: Possible reasons for updated/studded HG failure?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Seems as though my head gaskets have failed again. I did them about 10k miles ago, used the updated OEM gaskets and studs. I read in another one of my threads that there may be a correlation between water pump replacement and HG failure? I just did my water pump about 2 months ago. Installed a new Bosch unit. When I did my HG's I did not have them machined. I checked flatness with a straight edge and feeler gauges and didn't see a problem. Ideas?

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Nope. I checked them with a straightedge and a feeler gauge. They looked ok to me so I cleaned them up and reinstalled.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Just how would running a new water pump make headgaskets go bad? That doesnt make any sense.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Just how would running a new water pump make headgaskets go bad? That doesnt make any sense.
I think it's coincidence more than anything. A water pump starts leaking, people assume from general wear but in some cases from the added pressure on the cooling system from head gasket failure. They replace the pump, pressure now has nowhere to bleed off and it moves to the next weakest link.

I did the pump on my lly 30k+ miles ago and my head gaskets are fine. I have also done pumps on other trucks without head gasket failure

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
You going to have the heads done this time just to be sure?

Yes, I'll definitely have them done this time.

I think it's coincidence more than anything. A water pump starts leaking, people assume from general wear but in some cases from the added pressure on the cooling system from head gasket failure. They replace the pump, pressure now has nowhere to bleed off and it moves to the next weakest link.

This kinda make sense I guess...

I have done many head jobs at the dealer, and they never pay to have the heads checked. Never had any issues. But also on stock trucks.

Yeah I couldn't understand what could happen to make heads warp, but who knows. I am far from an expert in those kinds of things.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
6.0 heads YES they have to be checked as they will warp. They actually blow at the fire rings on the gaskets. The blue material is usually gone. Iv also done many of them, and some of them are pretty far out. the alum will flex pretty easy when torqued on on the duramax though.. Cleanliness is most important.

Almost all of the heads iv pulled off, had headgaskets that looked like this, which indicates a manufacture failure. Not necesarily from high boost or heat. just simple bad batch. Probably why gm switched from crimped gaskets to riveted

Attachments

• headg.jpg
    headg.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 86

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
These are the updated riveted gaskets though, with studs...that's what I am confused about. Going to be a few weeks before I have a chance to start tearing into it, but I'll definitely post pics of what I find.

I think I'm going to try and lift the cab this time, hopefully will make things easier.

Cheapskate207

Oct 3, 2014
I wasn't going to bring my heads to the machine shop but at the last second decided to... they ended up taking .008 off. I had never overheated the truck, headgaskets let go and I didn't drive anymore. I know you said you checked the heads but is it possible they were still a warped a little? Other causes could be the gasket was damaged when you were setting the head on or head/block wasn't cleaned completely. Regardless they let go again, and that sucks man cause it's a total suckjob.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Decided to pull it. Oil pan has been seeping for awhile, so I'll fix that while the motor is out.

IMAG0230_zpsjtfgnwpt.jpg

IMAG0231_zpsafs4rrpo.jpg

IMAG0232_zpsznhceac0.jpg

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Man, your wife must be sitting there just shaking her head, wondering WTF you're doing. :roflmao:

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Dont worry. My wife has for a long while. I think its normal for them. :roflmao:

SilveradoTwins02

Hopefully twins soon
Aug 5, 2014
Hanover PA
6.0 heads YES they have to be checked as they will warp. They actually blow at the fire rings on the gaskets. The blue material is usually gone. Iv also done many of them, and some of them are pretty far out. the alum will flex pretty easy when torqued on on the duramax though.. Cleanliness is most important.

Almost all of the heads iv pulled off, had headgaskets that looked like this, which indicates a manufacture failure. Not necesarily from high boost or heat. just simple bad batch. Probably why gm switched from crimped gaskets to riveted

Yes. That looks familiar!! Both sides on my motor blew at that exact spot too!
Passenger rear and drivers front corner