LLY: Possible reasons for updated/studded HG failure?

Redneckzombie21

Feb 28, 2013
Get the heads checked they may look flat but I have done over 40 head gaskets on them and have always had to shave 5 or more off

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
Someone corect me if Im wrong but I thought the preffered head gaskets for our truck were the ones that were covered solid with the black sealant.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I thought these gold looking ones were the most current lml ones. I just bought head gaskets from XDP and they were the solid black covered ones.

JDT4430

Jul 29, 2014
I thought these gold looking ones were the most current lml ones. I just bought head gaskets from XDP and they were the solid black covered ones.

I think you are correct that those are the ones used in the LML's but I was told when I did mine that the solid black ones were the way to go.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Plot twist....

Finally took the water pump housing off and found a spun water pump impeller.

So...what does this mean? Impeller spun off while I was making a WOT pass, engine overheated and popped the head gaskets? What all do I need to have checked now? Did this just become significantly more expensive?

Engine started and ran fine afterwards, no strange sounds or anything.

Last edited:

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Yes I did, thank you! I think it was delivered yesterday, been locked out of our mailbox due to a bad lock for a few days. Finally got tired of waiting for the post office and drilled the lock this afternoon.

onebaddmaxxx

Feb 22, 2009
Cecil County Md
Well going back to the beginning. You said looks like they failed again....let me ask this.....why did u think they failed? Pushed water one time? Hell you could a broke your water pump and it could a just boiled over and that have been it. How firm are your shifts? Seems to me built trans trucks eat water pumps like cake.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Pushed coolant out of the tank and all down the side of the truck, and exhaust/soot in all of the water lines. Significant amount. Overflow tank is black, and as I've been removing parts and washing them out it's nasty in there. Tons of black soot in the coolant. I was not able to find an obvious failure point on the gaskets.

Trans doesn't seem too bad, the shifts are solid but I honestly can't say that I feel them. I am definitely kicking myself for not getting the pinned pump a couple months ago when I replaced it.

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Here is what the coolant looked like when I pulled the lower radiator hose.

IMAG0225_zpswtsngw5j.jpg

IMAG0226_zpspyp3q4i9.jpg

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I happened to be logging when the overheat happened too. ECT when I let off the throttle was only 225, and ran the rest of the way up to 262 as I coasted down. Hopefully since it wasn't under load and only lasted a short time everything is ok. I did start the truck up to move it around the driveway a few times afterwards and everything sounded and felt ok.