Pitman arm

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
What are you guys running for pitmans?

I'm needing another already. I thought the steering box had play but it's the pitman arm again. This one made it 12k miles.

I've ran GM, moog, and now I have a duralast in because of the lifetime warranty, but they are by far junk.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
X2 on the Rare Parts pitman. I use that, the Highroller idler arm and Cognito centerlink and tie-rod package - steers wonderfully and launches straight every time.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
im still running high end moog but my centerlink doesnt allow any rotation so they damn near never wear out.

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
Moog problem solver is what I'm currently running and haven't had any issues yet

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I use rare parts for pitman/idler/idler support and tie rods. Very happy with them thus far though the tie rods do like to shed grease. I am not a vendor here, though I do have a wholesale account with them if you want to PM me. I'm sure there are vendors on here that have an account with them so by all means ask them first. For about the same cost as OEM, it was a no brainer when I built my front end. rare parts idlersupport is the same as the supersteer, deathgrip and has a weld in gusset

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
im still running high end moog but my centerlink doesnt allow any rotation so they damn near never wear out.

Can you shed some light on what you've done? Or is it secret squirrel stuff? Not trying to get free information, but if it's something you'd share that'd be awesome.

Reger, I've been running the cognito braces on both my trucks, they do seem to help a lot with wear IMO.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Can you shed some light on what you've done? Or is it secret squirrel stuff? Not trying to get free information, but if it's something you'd share that'd be awesome.

Reger, I've been running the cognito braces on both my trucks, they do seem to help a lot with wear IMO.

no its no biggy, you just cant get the kit anymore. its the EXAXT kit that was being sold back in 2008-2009 for these trucks. uses a 1/2" billet brace that connects on the idler arm end only like the cognito braces do. worked so well i actually bent the shaft of the idler arm support in late 2009 while testing it lol.

had 125k on the truck when i installed it, now i have 212k. idler arm has not been replaced since and has 0 play. pitman arm was replaced at 170k iirc with only in and out play (like a ball joint), 0 back and forth play that we normally see from a worn out idler/pitman arm. new one is still going strong. i was hesitant to put a Moog on as it was about 1 year after all the issues with the shaft breaking started. hasnt let me down (knock on wood).

the biggest advantage to this kit is the size of the brace, no undo stress on the pitman arm from a double sheer not being 100% correct, and the leverage where the inner tie rod connects is 1/2 that of a stock center link but still keeps ackermann angle decent.

bmc1025

Jan 25, 2013
Big Bone, KY
That "diesel wanna be" guy over at DP who made the "high roller" let Dmax Store have his design from the looks of things. Oops. Went out of business (got disgusted with knockoffs, in other words) back in March or so.

The Kryptonite "deathgrip" arm is essentially the same thing now, I guess. http://dmaxstore.com/products/?rout...re-kryptonite-high-roller-ultimate-idler.html

I was afraid of that. It was a nice piece for only 125.00.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I ran the cognitos on my LLY until I went to a straight centerlink.

I'm thinking I ****ed up putting a straight centerlink on this truck. It's def not saving on anything parts wise, plus my steering blows.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
ive wondered if the supersteer idler arm and pitman arm are any good, the supersteer idler pivot is incredibly beefy so i would assume their idler and pitman would be too?

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I'm running the rare pitman now for like 2 years maybe. Seems ok so far. I actually rolled my centerlink and that pitman survived.

I'm also running the high roller idler arm - I bought spare pins when he went out of business, in case I bend one again!

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I will say though rig, that even with the full rare parts front end, steering still isn't all that sexy. It's better for sure, but still wanders some and has some minor issues. I still have the stock centerlink, leaky HB line and stock box fwiw. Have stainless HB lines going in this week but i doubt it'll do much,

J_Stone06

Wasn't me...🥴
Oct 13, 2012
Nowhere, KS
I am still having a grabbing action occur when I turn left at low speeds. I have kryptonite front end. I still can't seem to figure out when it's coming from. There is an audible clunk as well as feeling it in the steering wheel. Any ideas gents?

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
I put Moog HD on pitman and idler, got 8k on them and so far so good.

I would venture a guess that your intermediate shaft is shot, could be your box as well but my upper section of that shaft is bad and mine clunks and has a little play, keep forgetting to order one. Nothing better to do I'll do it now.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
I am still having a grabbing action occur when I turn left at low speeds. I have kryptonite front end. I still can't seem to figure out when it's coming from. There is an audible clunk as well as feeling it in the steering wheel. Any ideas gents?

Is it just a tight kinda grab or do you literally have no steering like it hits a physical stop for a second?