Piston options

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Unfortunately, the Duramax monotherm piston is no longer under development. So, yep you can forget about it.

I tested a set of the monotherms in one of my SoCal race engines. These were one of the first sets of one off pistons basically made by hand, from what I heard from the Mahle rep IIRC. I think the only set that made it into a running engine.

They weren't perfect but I'd be surprised if the program is scrapped. I do not have inside info on their program though, so just a guess.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Oval Race cast ftw in my book. Only time I use the forged version is when we go below 15.1 Comp because we are limited to 15.25:1 Comp with the Race cast without loosing a bunch of the quench area. Other than that I see no reason to run forged pistons in a street truck let alone race trucks. Brett's truck has been the best abuse test motor for these pistons and they have shined and then some. I'm hoping to see 2000hp at the crank with a set of the cast ovals in the future. 1763hp 2450ftlbs is still absolutely stupid on them so if we can see 2K hp out of them then what more do you want, right? I don't see any need for monotherms at this point in time. :thumb:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Oval Race cast ftw in my book. Only time I use the forged version is when we go below 15.1 Comp because we are limited to 15.25:1 Comp with the Race cast without loosing a bunch of the quench area. Other than that I see no reason to run forged pistons in a street truck let alone race trucks. Brett's truck has been the best abuse test motor for these pistons and they have shined and then some. I'm hoping to see 2000hp at the crank with a set of the cast ovals in the future. 1763hp 2450ftlbs is still absolutely stupid on them so if we can see 2K hp out of them then what more do you want, right? I don't see any need for monotherms at this point in time. :thumb:

Glad I snagged a set of cast ovals:thumb:

PACougar

Jun 27, 2012
El Dorado Hills, Ca

Mark, what do you think about running the cast pistons for an extended period at those power levels? Perhaps running the mile or for land speed racing.

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
This kind of seems like a no brainer to me now after researching. Back when I ran arias forged it was simply because it was that or mahle cast. Mahle cast would not hold up to 1700hp. The motor I'm working on has one cracked across the center and all 7 of the other starting to crack in the exact same place. I'm going back with fingers pistons.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Yes I see that. But with forged in mind it would be nice to see fingers take the record for highest recorded hp.

So a guy as knowledgeable as mark basically says forged are a waste of time and the fingers pistons are the way to go and you still aren't convinced...

Highest recorded HP... Who cares, Brett already took the championship thats more then enough reason for anyone to go with fingers pistons

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Highest hp I believe belongs to Wiseco and Ngm. 2100+ hp and 2200+egt. From early this year. Extremely light. Quite a few are using them now. Lots of testing went into them over the last few years. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure it out.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Highest hp I believe belongs to Wiseco and Ngm. 2100+ hp and 2200+egt. From early this year. Extremely light. Quite a few are using them now. Lots of testing went into them over the last few years. I'll try to post a picture if I can figure it out.

Who made 2100+ HP with them?

Cknight199

Aug 23, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
So a guy as knowledgeable as mark basically says forged are a waste of time and the fingers pistons are the way to go and you still aren't convinced...

Highest recorded HP... Who cares, Brett already took the championship thats more then enough reason for anyone to go with fingers pistons

No. But if I were looking at only cast options, I would go with fingers. But I'm looking at an entire new piston as well with a new design.