Piston Bowls

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Stupid question. What's the compression ratio with these pistons. I'm starting to look into rebuilding and I want to move up to 17.5:1 but delipping stock pistons will sink that to 16.8-16.5:1.

I have not standardized the compression ratio yet. Each set is custom at this point.

Odyssey25013

DF Regect
Nov 9, 2010
CT
Any way you can make them higher? Say an 18:1? I hate the feel of a low compression motor. I won't be racing it or pulling so I don't need to worry about spinning it over to fast.

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
Any way you can make them higher? Say an 18:1? I hate the feel of a low compression motor. I won't be racing it or pulling so I don't need to worry about spinning it over to fast.

I would make sure your block does not need decked before going to high. Talk with John aka Fingers or Guy @ SoCal first. The normal cast race piston is in the hole .005 without decking. Evan had his block decked .005 and these pistons were out around .016 to .018 area to be safe he used grade D head gaskets to have enough valve to piston clearence.

Last edited:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

Higher is easier than lower. I don't have to dodge the oil gallery with the higher compressions.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
FWIW, stock pistons, or for that matter ANY piston that has had a chamber in it can not be used as a blank to make these oval chambers.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
im sure it has been answered, maybe even a few times but 25+ pages is alot to scan through, what model years are these being made for? and whats the price for a set? std and the new 20 overs?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Available for any Dmax. Std, 0.020" over , and 0.040" over bores. I will be stocking 0.020" overs when my order get in.

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Available for any Dmax. Std, 0.020" over , and 0.040" over bores. I will be stocking 0.020" overs when my order get in.

what do the .020 and .040 overs run? not sure how much the block i got needs over to clean up

JRODS*LB7

Feb 1, 2012
SE Massachusetts
FWIW here is a rendering of what I ended up with for the piston top.

attachment.php

Isnt this similar to the drawing i quickly made on the 2 or third page?:D Oh wait you deleted it ? But i remember sending you a drawing pretty similar to this design and you said iyou werent sure what i was getting at? I guess you understand now

Last edited:

TRUBBS

Jul 6, 2011
Isnt this similar to the drawing i quickly made on the 2 or third page?:D Oh wait you deleted it ? But i remember sending you a drawing pretty similar to this design and you said iyou werent sure what i was getting at? I guess you understand now

Your drawing is still posted up on page 23

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Someone asked recently what I thought I know about these pistons that GM and Mahle didn't.

Actually, I think we both know the same thing. Cutting a chamber into the top of piston requires the piston to contain the explosion radially (outward) as well as in the downward direction. The forces are not unlike throwing a fire-cracker into a paper cup.

I know they knew because they embedded two steel rings into the castings to help retain the force. One is the steel fire ring grove, the other is just below the oil gallery. Without these rings, the pistons would crack on a regular basis even in a stock configuration.