Pipeline problems on east coast again

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
This^^^

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

There is a happy medium for all. It's seems to be around 80-90 per barrel.

Idk, what's about to happen, but we are beyond busy (like insane never had this many orders at once). We are directly tied to oil and gas production. And although we are in AL, none of our business is local. This is a shop with 40 employees. Something big is on the horizon IMO. I don't understand the complexities of this market, but I've never seen our customers in such a frenzy over nitrogen systems, drilling equipment, and production support systems.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Pure ignorance.

How is $4.00 a gallon good for any blue collar worker that isnt in the oil industry...

With oil cost low people have money to spend elsewhere thus helping local markets. Businesses go under when people only spend money on fuel and nothing else.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I didn't say 4.00 per gallon fuel is good for everybody. I said your statement was ignorant because it affects way more than just "rig workers". Tens of millions of jobs are tied to the oil industry. That is fact. Like I said I don't understand this complex economy, but there IS and happy medium where growth isn't hindered (stonewalled) and the average joe can still afford a tank of fuel... Joe doesn't realize it, but having higher fuel prices has more than likely increased his wages also.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
My wife works for the state of wyoming and nobody got raises and everyone got budget cuts since the economy tanked. Had oil and coal not done that they'd be in a different spot. Same with jobs around here. Not many places hiring in any field. Hvac, plumbing, electrical, construction...it's all slowed because the bust reached further than "rig workers"

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
My wife works for the state of wyoming and nobody got raises and everyone got budget cuts since the economy tanked. Had oil and coal not done that they'd be in a different spot. Same with jobs around here. Not many places hiring in any field. Hvac, plumbing, electrical, construction...it's all slowed because the bust reached further than "rig workers"

and yet we cant hire decent laborers to save our necks.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I wish I could get hired bit I've had no such luck...this state is in the balance and this election is not helping it any. Not saying we have good options as a country but I know wyoming stands a better chance as a whole if she doesn't get in

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I didn't say 4.00 per gallon fuel is good for everybody. I said your statement was ignorant because it affects way more than just "rig workers". Tens of millions of jobs are tied to the oil industry. That is fact. Like I said I don't understand this complex economy, but there IS and happy medium where growth isn't hindered (stonewalled) and the average joe can still afford a tank of fuel... Joe doesn't realize it, but having higher fuel prices has more than likely increased his wages also.

Tens of millions? Fact? I'll assume you're talking world wide then? Otherwise, I'd like to see the breadth of reach used to get a number of employees in the oil & gas industry in the US anywhere near the "tens of millions" range. If that's for the US, that is bound to be grossly far reaching. Can you site something that says how they estimate it to be that high if its for the US?

And I'd love to hear how you backed into your last sentence too.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Every single job can be effected by the price of fuel at the pump. Every last one because there isn't one business that doesn't have it's bottom line effected by fuel prices at the pump. Not a one.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Tens of millions? Fact? I'll assume you're talking world wide then? Otherwise, I'd like to see the breadth of reach used to get a number of employees in the oil & gas industry in the US anywhere near the "tens of millions" range. If that's for the US, that is bound to be grossly far reaching. Can you site something that says how they estimate it to be that high if its for the US?

Mitch do your own research. Yes millions of jobs are tied to oil industry. There is roughly 9.8 million jobs Directly tied to oil and gas in the US. That does not include people like me (support shops who also work for other industries as well). I would like for you to take a step back and think about how far reaching oil is. I'm not here to defend crazy high prices or any nonsense... if oil production just completely stopped right now, how many people would be out of work? How about you? That's the point I'm making. This stuff doesn't just affect "rig workers" it affects everyone of us. With that said, I'm not here to argue, I shouldn't have even responded to that post but I had to correct it. I don't enjoy arguements and you obviously have your opinion and I have mine. Have yourself a nice evening.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Intelligent, trainable people are like gold these days lol.

they dont even need to be that! i have ranged ads from 12 bucks an hour to 20 bucks an hour to see what kind of people we can get. they come in, work a half day to 2 weeks and are gone. its a repetitious job that involves actual work on your end. been looking for a quality guy for 2 months now and cant get squat.

on the otherside of it, its caused me to really look at how production is ran and make lots of little improvements that has helped the guys tremendously while making the company more money. i may be a millennial but i dont make excuses, i look for solutions :D

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
they dont even need to be that! i have ranged ads from 12 bucks an hour to 20 bucks an hour to see what kind of people we can get. they come in, work a half day to 2 weeks and are gone. its a repetitious job that involves actual work on your end. been looking for a quality guy for 2 months now and cant get squat.

on the otherside of it, its caused me to really look at how production is ran and make lots of little improvements that has helped the guys tremendously while making the company more money. i may be a millennial but i dont make excuses, i look for solutions :D

I'll do about anything for $20 an hour.. And I'm burnt out on Missouri

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Oil pricing also affects avgas which means another crappy quarter for aviation, which means, crappy quarter for me.

Not just diesel/gas, other markets def ride the wave of crazy ass pricing for oil

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
$3.00 gallon is 50% increase to my overhead, $4.00 is a 100% increase to my overhead that's at a 10mpg avg, it's worse on the big truck guys getting 5-6mpg

:mad:
Course boss just talked to me about run up to Mass with two stops in central NY

akdmaxx

Jul 12, 2015
I am in the oil and gas industry. I feel some points are not being made. I don't care for how it operates but it puts food on the table and a comfortable roof over my family's head. I have been lucky enough to keep my job though this but at the expense of a 30% cut in pay. Diesel in Alaska is 2.44 a gallon. Increase the price to 3.00 that's 0.56 a gallon more. If you have a 35 gallon tank that 19.60 a tank more. Two tanks a week? 40 dollar a week increase. 160 in a month. 1920 in a year. Is that a lot of money? To most on this site I would imagine not. For someone working at Mcdonald's yes, but that person ought not be driving a diesel and they better be car pooling or riding a damn bike! If you cant change your budget for the 160 a month you got bigger issues. I am by no means justifying $3-$4/gallon price I don't like it paying for it. The oil and gas industry plays a huge part in the American economy more than most like to admit, but as for a number of people it effects who knows I'm sure the number would be shocking. It has affected the government (which are a big worthless pile of over spending dildos) and most jobs in this state as it is all tied together. As for the people who make a living farming or transporting just like me that is the profession you chose just as I have chose to work in this volatile industry and have to live with it. At the end of the day though fuel is a tax write off or expense that gets passed to the customer. What I don't get is how with the drop in oil price how has the price of fuel stayed so high? There is a happy medium but its seems with greed and ignorance that there cant be. Sorry for my rant probably doesn't even make sense as I am just an uneducated piece of oil field trash, but it makes sense in my head.

blue09dmaxx

Too broke for this shit
Jan 15, 2012
The south
$3.00 gallon is 50% increase to my overhead, $4.00 is a 100% increase to my overhead that's at a 10mpg avg, it's worse on the big truck guys getting 5-6mpg

:mad:
Course boss just talked to me about run up to Mass with two stops in central NY

But it's better for freight and fuel surcharge

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

I respectfully disagree with you Mitch.:hug: Tens of millions is easy to see, IMO.

You just think about it for a moment, and take the actual rig hands out of the equation.

The supply business for the oilfield alone is greatly affected, This includes the people that bring water to the rigs, supply food, have a corner gas station that no longer has 100s of people stopping at every day. It effect Mary's sewing shop that fixed coveralls for workers. It effect Bob's burgers shop. Tim's Tire shop because he isn't replacing tires as often. Then he has to let go 3 mechanics because business is slow. Doug is going out on Fridays anymore because of the crunch, Now the local pub lets go of 2 workers. Sheila isn't buying her new shoes now. And Russ isn't buying his new quad. Peter isn't buying that new deep fryer for his restaurant, Doug isn't building that new home. The mill is met its quota because less houses are being built. Henry isn't selling his new cars, and looses his job. Steve isn't going on that trip to Vegas, now the stripper doesn't get her usual tips, and doesn't by that Louis Viton purse. The hotels are not full, the maids are let go. On and on and on.........

You see, its a ripple affect;):( And its world wide! I am unfortunate to see it, Ive taken a 40% pay cut.......And all I here from management is " your fortunate to be working" Yes, I am but ive been working oil and gas for 20 years, my experience isn't less, So why am I getting less money? Simple Supply and demand:(

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
But it's better for freight and fuel surcharge

Freight rate doesn't change as fast as fuel prices

Just means I'm rolling more money through my hand to make the same amount,

Whether I'm rolling $10 of $15 or $100 of $105, it's still $5 profit, and the later means more paperwork,

Run fuel prices up kills my tax shelter