Pause between gears LBZ

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
I am currently running a 100hp tune from Steve at ssdiesel and have had no problems at all. Trans shifts quick at low or full throttle. A few weeks ago I get in the truck and it shifted fine into gear and no slipping taking off but there is a pause between gears 1-2, 2-3 and 3-4 of about a second or so. Turned the tune down to tow and no problems. I have around 3500 miles on a transgo jr and new spin on filter. Did use Supertech Dexron VI on the refill as I was assured that Dexron VI is Dexron VI. I really don't want to put the $$ into a full trans rebuild at this time if I can help it.

Any ideas?

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
It's defueling upon shifts like stated above. Helps your stock tranny hold up for longer for the added power and is completely normal!

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
Why would it start doing this after 3k miles on the tune? I understand the defuel but this seems excessive.

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
Why would it start doing this after 3k miles on the tune? I understand the defuel but this seems excessive.

It is worse when you switch back and fourth from tune to tune. Every time you switch tunes the trans has to re-learn the new power curve. It takes several start/stop cycles for the trans to settle down.

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
I have switched back and for several times having to tow around 13k lbs and I will drive slowly and then work the throttle up to allow the trans to relearn. This transition is very different than that. It also happened while it was on 100hp for weeks without changing.

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
To me the pause you are getting sounds normal....... Hard to really tell without being able to experience it first hand really...

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
pullsanything - I can understand it being hard to know without experiencing. It would rip through the gears before and now it doesn't. The sudden change is what has me wondering. Thanks

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
I feel your frustration, believe me! Hopefully you can get some good info on here and get it figured out. Good luck!

ryan415

Oct 24, 2012
Mine does the same on Rob's stock trans tuning. Sometimes it shifts great and others its pretty bad. Makes the truck feel incredibly slow lol. Just assumed it was the defueling.

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
After reading some of the posts on trans fluid I was a little afraid that the dexron vi was inferior and the clutches may be slipping but once in gear it pulls great.

Fatboy

I need a $$ tree!!
Feb 15, 2013
Newnan, GA
S Phinney - It does it all the time. Once it did it a few times I turned it down to tow. I have tried to switch back over and it repeats.

pullsanything

Enthusiast
Oct 7, 2013
Iowa
150 isn't safe at all if you are putting the power to the ground and its stock. If all you do is spin, it might live for a while....