Ordering a new 2020??

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I’m not sold on the new trans. It’s not an Allison, just approved by them. Although, knowing that ford had a hand in it gives me a bit of hope. Their trans have proven to be very strong in stock form. I guess only time will tell. Now you guys can bash me.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I’m not sold on the new trans. It’s not an Allison, just approved by them. Although, knowing that ford had a hand in it gives me a bit of hope. Their trans have proven to be very strong in stock form. I guess only time will tell. Now you guys can bash me.

“Allison” trannys haven’t really been an Allison tranny for years then according to your logic. And Ford did not have any hand in the development of the 10 speed Tranny that will be behind the 2020 Duramax.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
ha! thats what i was thinking with my daughter or son in 14-16 years :roflmao: but honestly, i dont see them wanting to drive a cc/lb to school and i probably wouldnt want them to drive it. Ive just got too many memories, blood, sweat and tears in it to give up. i literally could sell everything else i have without a second thought. No idea wtf it is about this truck, its stupid but cant help it. See what the years bring, may change at some point but who knows.

I thought the same thing for years about my lbz and then one day I woke up, added up the tab for all the things that needed to be done to it over the next 6 months and was quickly over it and into a 1 y/o lml.

So far I’m not regretting my choice and looking at the new trucks and their prices, this may be the last 3/4 or 1 ton duramax I ever buy. Hopefully I get 10 years out of this one like I did the last too.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
“Allison” trannys haven’t really been an Allison tranny for years then according to your logic. And Ford did not have any hand in the development of the 10 speed Tranny that will be behind the 2020 Duramax.

Your statement is way off, your wrong on both parts...:thumb:

The Allison 1000 was developed by Allison for busses, and the new 10 speed is a collaboration between ford and GM...

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
ha! thats what i was thinking with my daughter or son in 14-16 years :roflmao: but honestly, i dont see them wanting to drive a cc/lb to school and i probably wouldnt want them to drive it. Ive just got too many memories, blood, sweat and tears in it to give up. i literally could sell everything else i have without a second thought. No idea wtf it is about this truck, its stupid but cant help it. See what the years bring, may change at some point but who knows.

I know what you mean, I was in the same boat with my LB7_Z. We talked about it here;
https://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79195

In the end the best I could do was put humpty dumpty back together again, in the hopes it would live on with another family.

It went to my wife's best friend from childhood (400 miles away from us), my wife saw it a few months back, it was filthy, they weren't really taking care of it. Kind of makes me sad, but hey, it's their truck now.

I love my LML, only concern I have for making the move is if deleting the LML comes back to bite me. I did the CP3 as well, so there's no "plugging everything back in" just to pass inspection. I built it from a wreck, so no warranty on the emissions stuff, the P21DD was really pissing me off, especially after I swapped out the DEF tank. So it all went in the scrap.

The old truck was a federal emissions LB7, that I put a LBZ in. So as per the VIN, it never had a EGR. After the swap it had the LBZ / six speed, but no fear of ever failing any inspections.

But I got the itch for a new one. Time will tell I guess.

The world we live in is changing, the days of being able to modify your own personal vehicle are disappearing.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
I knew ford and gm developed a 10 speed together. But thought it was for the camaro, corvette and mustangs along with some half ton trucks. It’s not something that’s going to keep me from getting a new Denali. I’m very interested to see how it does. Really wish mike or someone else could give us some more insight on it.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Larsen, Wisconsin
anything that ford has a hand in makes me nervous, you've seen their track record

The 5R110 and 6R140 have proven to be loads better than any Allison at holding power (stock for stock). I'm not saying it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread but I don't think that should give you any reason to be nervous.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The 5R110 and 6R140 have proven to be loads better than any Allison at holding power (stock for stock). I'm not saying it's going to be the best thing since sliced bread but I don't think that should give you any reason to be nervous.

You must have read this crap on the internet.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
you guys realize that the trans being a "re-badged joint venture trans" is currently hear-say, right??

and honestly, im not worried about it at all. If i have issues and Gm cant fix it, its going to mike. This isnt a 68rfe we are talking about here :roflmao:

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
you guys realize that the trans being a "re-badged joint venture trans" is currently hear-say, right??

and honestly, im not worried about it at all. If i have issues and Gm cant fix it, its going to mike. This isnt a 68rfe we are talking about here :roflmao:

I could have sworn I watched a video on YouTube where they toured the GM plant and said this, at least about it being developed then approved by Allison, but I could be mistaken. Either way new things worry me cause change stresses me lol but I like the direction GM is going with this. And I hope it works well for you James. Never imagined you driving anything but the limo. Oh and if you sell, dibs.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
He's saying the re-badged joint venture trans is hearsay. He isn't arguing that it wasn't developed by GM and approved by Allison.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

they also built the 6.0 and 6.4 so your argument is invalid :roflmao:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm getting very good reports on this new 10 speed. Allison spent a lot of time validating this transmission. Claim is, it's just as strong if not stronger than the A1000.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Your statement is way off, your wrong on both parts...:thumb:

The Allison 1000 was developed by Allison for busses, and the new 10 speed is a collaboration between ford and GM...

I was referring to the fact that the Allison is currently manufactured by GM, not Allison. But yes, it was, as you stated, developed by “Allison” while being owned by GM. So if it has had changes and improvements made over the years while being built by GM, is it truly an Allison now? It’s all semantics.

And check your facts, it was not developed with Ford.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I'm getting very good reports on this new 10 speed. Allison spent a lot of time validating this transmission. Claim is, it's just as strong if not stronger than the A1000.

I’m hoping it’s a lot stronger than the A1000 because that can’t even hold the power of the L5P now :eek: