Oil pressure seems low at idle

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Is this normal for a diesel or doni have an issue I run synthetic fluids and at idle seems low to me
uvyme8u4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weazel

Oct 5, 2011
Mason, TX
Subscribing... I noticed the oil pressure in our 05 was on the low side idling too... But while driving, it's up close to 60psi like usual..

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Get a reading from a scan tool if possible. Oil pressure and temp gauges are not known for being the most accurate on our trucks. If it's an lb7 make sure you don't have oil dilution from a cracked injector. But it's likely the gauge. You have a low oil pressure warning if it really does get too low

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Subscribing... I noticed the oil pressure in our 05 was on the low side idling too... But while driving, it's up close to 60psi like usual..

Weazel that's how mine is as we'll and other poster it's a 05 (lly)

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
I might be wrong but do scan tools work if it's not throwing a code ??

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Okay my little efi live tool thingy shows maf boost would it show oil pressure I wonder ? And also would the synthetic fluid cause this ? I live where it's 115 outside this time of year

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
Update oil pressure in the morning (cold ) is almost 90 and sustained at 60 all the way to work which is 50 hwy miles . And it was around 78 degrees out wondering why it's only around 22 in the evening ? Anyone have insight

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
20-25 isn't bad idle oil pressure for an LLY. If it's the 05 in your sig, chances are the stepper motor in your cluster is going out. It is a VERY common problem with 03-05 trucks for the steppers in the cluster to start reading off, or just go one way or the other.

Parker_

I'm a torque addict !!
May 13, 2014
Blythe ca
20-25 isn't bad idle oil pressure for an LLY. If it's the 05 in your sig, chances are the stepper motor in your cluster is going out. It is a VERY common problem with 03-05 trucks for the steppers in the cluster to start reading off, or just go one way or the other.

What's action needed to get a replacement ? Whole gauge assembly?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
You can send the dash off to get the motors replaced. You can also buy the kit and replace them yourself, but you better be comfortable with a soldering iron.

For what it is worth, my 03 shows the same oil pressure and has for the last 100k miles. I idle at 14-16 PSI hot, but it gets up toward 30 PSI on the highway.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
If your gauge is correct that is not normal. Check it with a mechanical gauge to know what you actually have for pressure. If it is the cluster it could be fixed by a certified business for 200 bucks. Some places will replace stepper motors for less as well. Just find out for sure what you have for pressure and address that.