"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Yeah, but the way decibels work, 3dB is actually twice the energy. So it may not sound like a big difference (because we can hear such a large range of volumes), but it adds up over time.

I wish I had a real dB meter, because I'm curious how loud my truck is even with the muffler. But phones aren't accurate or consistent dB meters, and that's all I have.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Even real dB meter are pretty subjective and easy to manipulate. I got some sound deadening on the way. Just going to do the doors and back wall. If I can get it a little bit quieter than my work truck I’ll be really happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana
Put a muffler on my 4" dual Diamond Eye exhaust. It is SO MUCH BETTER!!! I can't believe I didn't do this sooner. I normally put my volume at 32 to hear all my music clearly, but today I thought it was a bit loud. I went to turn it down and realized it was on 28. There are so many more benefits and if you want me to list them I will.

Maybe I'm too old.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why would you want to put a muffler on and cover up the sound of a beautiful Diesel engine , I guess everybody has their preference I'm not old yet I'm only 33 and it's music to my ears

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Why would you want to put a muffler on and cover up the sound of a beautiful Diesel engine , I guess everybody has their preference I'm not old yet I'm only 33 and it's music to my ears

because hearing a quiet truck pull up, then taking off and only hearing the loud scream of twins come out from under the hood is quite magical to me :roflmao:. im very much about the "sleeper" setup

thats about the only thing i miss from my 475. that damn thing would whistle so loud it would cause people to roll their windows up if i was towing heavy. i had a lot of fun watching people cringe when i would start to pass them up a hill :D. the 480 was super quiet and the 483 has more whistle to it but not near as loud as the 475.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm exactly the opposite lol

I got rid of my S366 because it whistled so loud I wanted to kill myself. My S371 doesn't whistle at all, just a quiet whooshing noise you can just hear over the exhaust note. Barely made it 1000 miles on the 366 before I removed it.

I hate screetching turbos (and therefore most PowerStrokes) with a passion. Not a pleasant sound to have to listen to for 5 minutes, let alone 5 hours.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

I got rid of my S366 because it whistled so loud I wanted to kill myself. My S371 doesn't whistle at all, just a quiet whooshing noise you can just hear over the exhaust note. Barely made it 1000 miles on the 366 before I removed it.

I hate screetching turbos (and therefore most PowerStrokes) with a passion. Not a pleasant sound to have to listen to for 5 minutes, let alone 5 hours.

there are two different turbo whistles to me, one i like and other i dont care for but dont hate. i dont care for the exhaust/turbine whistle cause its always there even under cruise. plus you know its a variable vane every time. Now a compressor side whistle is my fav. quiet while you are cruising along but start rolling into it and you start hearing POWA!

now if its a gasser, i wanna hear the exhaust some and a lope at idle from a cam. i mean, i had a turboed lopey samurai 1.3 that made 140hp. it was no rocket but it made cool noises! i still miss having it and driving with just a down pipe on it.

[YOUTUBE]01jNdPSBacM[/YOUTUBE]

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
there are two different turbo whistles to me, one i like and other i dont care for but dont hate. i dont care for the exhaust/turbine whistle cause its always there even under cruise. plus you know its a variable vane every time. Now a compressor side whistle is my fav. quiet while you are cruising along but start rolling into it and you start hearing POWA!

now if its a gasser, i wanna hear the exhaust some and a lope at idle from a cam. i mean, i had a turboed lopey samurai 1.3 that made 140hp. it was no rocket but it made cool noises! i still miss having it and driving with just a down pipe on it.
Fair enough. I just don't like the compressor side whistle either if it is too loud or too screechy. But it can sound good in moderation.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

Between my turbo and my mud tires I can’t talk on the phone while driving. Other than that I don’t have a problem with it. My wife gets a big grin on her face every time I go through a tunnel because she knows what’s about to happen.

TerryRH

Jan 23, 2017
MO

Between my turbo and my mud tires I can’t talk on the phone while driving. Other than that I don’t have a problem with it. My wife gets a big grin on her face every time I go through a tunnel because she knows what’s about to happen.

Driving long distances made it quite annoying, especially when towing. I did get the best out of the sound before I muffled it though. If it we're one just to drive from time to time it probably wouldn't bother me so much, but thousands of miles a month some months and it got old. Tunnels were great though and opening it up for people that wouldn't move and making it scream in their windows....that, my friend, I will certainly miss.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana

Yea some turbos just absolutely scream would not know I'm still on my stock turbo but the lbz still whistles good

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana

Lol haha I know what you mean my wife does the same , mud tires and turbo screaming that's pretty ridiculous, a little hum wouldn't bother me tho

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Been having a bit of a cold weather streak for the last few weeks, lows in the -20 to -30F, front output seal of the T case decided it was done, puking and whipping fluid everywhere, finally got it changed out, also bought a welding setup finally

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
did your downpipe crack after the V band? Mine cracked there and rusted out at all the crappy clamps. I will never put those crap steel clamps on a aluminum exhaust ever again.

No it snapped after the downpipe right by the hangar for the trans. It’s where the 4” flex pipe connects the downpipe and the short section of 4” before the adapter. I have the large stainless steel band clamps for tractor trailers. No rust on them at all.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Started it for first time in 6 weeks. Hit high idle...man I love that sound. Then went to store with the boys. Then went to the interstate. 0-110 with alot of on ramp left. This thing is such much more responsive than this 15 work truck is. I'd have to see an equally done up lml or l5p to even think about switching

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Started it for first time in 6 weeks. Hit high idle...man I love that sound. Then went to store with the boys. Then went to the interstate. 0-110 with alot of on ramp left. This thing is such much more responsive than this 15 work truck is. I'd have to see an equally done up lml or l5p to even think about switching

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deleted max effort with solenoid mod they are quite nasty...:thumb:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I think mines hurt and I have the solenoid mod, mines not even max effort. It's max on the factory fuel system with no lift pump. 2nd-4th lots of rpm with not a whole lot of go anymore and that's in tow haul with the converter locked, at least I think I need to get some logs to double check maybe the converters hurt to :(.
Without tow haul it blasts through the converter high revy no go :baby: