off road diesel

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
I would believe excessive smoke could lead to PC to check your tank if it's known that off road diesel causes the condition. But a broken tail light? I don't think so. That's just enough for a stop.

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have ran dyed diesel for 95% of my trucks 220,000kms. including 5 11 second runs with no illi effect. In Alberta farm registered vehicles are legal to run it. It does not smoke more than normal fuel. It will turn your fuel filter red.

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
Locking fuel cap means nothing. If an officer has true probable cause he can break off a fuel cap if need be to discover further evidence of anything illegal. Diesel fuel is no different than 10 kilos of cocaine in your spare tire. If it's in the there then he has to have some real probable cause to look in the tire such as a dope dog alerting on the tire. An officer stopping you for a minor traffic infraction and dipping in your tank with nothing else to go on other than the small traffic infraction is an illegal seach.

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
Locking fuel cap means nothing. If an officer has true probable cause he can break off a fuel cap if need be to discover further evidence of anything illegal. Diesel fuel is no different than 10 kilos of cocaine in your spare tire. If it's in the there then he has to have some real probable cause to look in the tire such as a dope dog alerting on the tire. An officer stopping you for a minor traffic infraction and dipping in your tank with nothing else to go on other than the small traffic infraction is an illegal seach.

In Pa there is something about needing a warrent for locked items such as trunks and locking glove boxes. That class was years ago I dont remember much but I remember the guidlines for probable cause on locked items was a much higher standard.

Now I'm curious and will have to ask my friend

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

I think i would rather be caught with dyed fuel than 10 kilos of coke:D

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
The way I understand it is the officer has to ask to search a vehicle in Pa during a routine traffic stop. If the item is locked (trunk, glovebox, etc) or if you refuse when asked, they need a warrant stating probable cause.

Also I don't know anyone that has been caught running red fuel, although I hear the fine here is $10K per gallon used. Since they have no way of determining how much is used, they supposedly get you for the capacity of the tank. Don't know if that is in fact true, but its not worth the risk to me.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
The way I understand it is the officer has to ask to search a vehicle in Pa during a routine traffic stop. If the item is locked (trunk, glovebox, etc) or if you refuse when asked, they need a warrant stating probable cause.

Also I don't know anyone that has been caught running red fuel, although I hear the fine here is $10K per gallon used. Since they have no way of determining how much is used, they supposedly get you for the capacity of the tank. Don't know if that is in fact true, but its not worth the risk to me.

sounds about right

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
I am not sure of the law outside TX. Just because an officer stops you for a minor traffic offense does not mean he or she has a right to even ask to search your vehicle. If there is no reasonable suspicion to even look further evicence of a crime then the officer writes you a ticket or lets you off with a warning. Reasable suspicion would be like this: You get stopped for speeding. The officer walks up to your vehicle and sees in plain view in the bed of your truck a white rag that is stained red and smells of diesel. That's reasonable suspicion that you might be running off road diesel in your truck but it's not enough to search your vehicle without your permission. This is probable cause: You get stopped again, same reason. The officer walks up and notices red colored diesel that ran down the side of your truck under your gas cap when your were filling it up. Thats reasonable suspicion. The officer will not need your permission or a search warrant to look in your tank. Sometimes officers will ask for your permission anyways even though they do not need it because it always looks better in court if you give the person a choice. Thats how it works in TX.

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Just a little FYI....

I researched the laws here in nevada. ;)

It would run you about $3k if you get caught with it in your tank. its like # of gallons x tax x 10% and a 2,500 max admin fee. and suspend license for not more than 30 days

second offense in 4 years is a $5k max admin. fee and suspend license for not more than 60 days

third offense or more in 4 years is a $10k max admin fee. and revoke license

The suspended license will be dertimed case by case depending on the amount of admin fee charged...

Also, metro does not carry equipment to test for dyed fuel.

Highway patrol can check for died fuel and carries equipment.

They test over a hundred vehicles a month...and rarely have a citation issued.

They are not allowed to stop you and check for dyed fuel unless you are seen using it, or you are stopped for another violation. Also, you can be checked at weigh stations and safety check points.

Procedure for checking is:
drawing fuel with a tube for a visual check, if it appears to be dyed, they take the sample and send it to the lab to determine if it has dye in it. (a min. ppm of dye that I dont know.)

MMLMM

Tunergeek
Mar 2, 2008
Reno, NV
www.dyncal.com
Police are trained to ask you questions they already know the answer to, that dertimnes how they will deal with you violations and deal with there saftey. ;)

Jun 28, 2007
NE Pa
I researched the laws here in nevada. ;)

It would run you about $3k if you get caught with it in your tank. its like # of gallons x tax x 10% and a 2,500 max admin fee. and suspend license for not more than 30 days

second offense in 4 years is a $5k max admin. fee and suspend license for not more than 60 days

third offense or more in 4 years is a $10k max admin fee. and revoke license

The suspended license will be dertimed case by case depending on the amount of admin fee charged...

Also, metro does not carry equipment to test for dyed fuel.

Highway patrol can check for died fuel and carries equipment.

They test over a hundred vehicles a month...and rarely have a citation issued.

They are not allowed to stop you and check for dyed fuel unless you are seen using it, or you are stopped for another violation. Also, you can be checked at weigh stations and safety check points.

Procedure for checking is:
drawing fuel with a tube for a visual check, if it appears to be dyed, they take the sample and send it to the lab to determine if it has dye in it. (a min. ppm of dye that I dont know.)

Of the over 100 they check a month, I bet almost all are comercial

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
A close friend of mine got caught in CO running red. He took it to court and showed the judge some marvel mystery oil and some info on how trans fluid can be used as a fuel in a diesel..... The judge asked the cop to prove he had dyed fuel in the tank and not one of these fluids my friend spoke of. The officer could not prove my friend was wrong so the judge dropped the case. All happened in a matter of minutes.:D

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
When weigh stations and saftey check points are mentioned this is for commercial vehicles which mean that most normal everyday drivers are exempt. DOT officers have different guidelines as to how and who they stop. TX Highway Patrol does not need any reason to stop a commercial vehicle. They can stop and check a commercial vehicle anytime.

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Just the color thats it, excavator around here got caught running off road in his fleet for the second time, He's now out of business cause he cant pay fines.

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
they do spot checks on farm related events and vehicles(which they consider as commercial vehicles, so some waiver is accepted by vehicle status). same principle applies as DUI/safety checkpoints, if they do one they have to do all. i like cops that think refusing to allow search is probable cause(NOT), boneheads. i know Kentucky dips fuel at out of the way comm. inspection stations. if you truck is older than after katrina feds gave exemption to run dyed fuel, so that can account for "some" trace of dye, if you get caught and fight it.

paintismotion

Mar 25, 2009
Burning coolored diesel in a 2005 duramax engine

I have a 2005 Chev dually diesel 4x4 with the 6.6 L duramax engine. I was told by my dealer that should i try to use colored diesel in the engine the engine would sense my use and shut it down. they also told me there would be a repair cost to replace the sensor and that i could ruin my engine and void my warranty. Has anyone used colored diesel in their 2005 or later engine? Is there really a sensor that will shit it down? can this sensor be bypassed

paintismotion

Mar 25, 2009
thanks

i found another thread here called red fuel and another guy with an o5 lly runs it with no problems. why would the BS me like that! Sheeple! I might try it. Red is 50 cents a liter for me - clear is 80 cents! i think i just reduced my fuel costs by 37.5%!