off road diesel

Vrabel

TOYAHOLIC
May 22, 2008
Hewitt, NJ
Its the same fuel. Okay, order 2 shots of Absolute at the bar.Have the bartender put 2 drops of red food coloring in one of them. Close you eyes and slug them down. Could you tell between? Now give the bartender an extra buck for the red dye. There ya go. And if your pissed off for having a red tongue now, well just reading this should've been enough.:rofl:

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I have a 2005 Chev dually diesel 4x4 with the 6.6 L duramax engine. I was told by my dealer that should i try to use colored diesel in the engine the engine would sense my use and shut it down. they also told me there would be a repair cost to replace the sensor and that i could ruin my engine and void my warranty. Has anyone used colored diesel in their 2005 or later engine? Is there really a sensor that will shit it down? can this sensor be bypassed

I've got al LBZ. All it is run on is marked diesel. no problems. We are legal to run it where i live.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A big problem with off-road (dyed) diesel is fuel quality. Unless you are sure of your source, be careful about filling at farm tanks or construction site tanks. Always try and refuel at busy locations. Diesel collects water, algae, and in old farm tanks, rust.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Its the same fuel. Okay, order 2 shots of Absolute at the bar.Have the bartender put 2 drops of red food coloring in one of them. Close you eyes and slug them down. Could you tell between? Now give the bartender an extra buck for the red dye. There ya go. And if your pissed off for having a red tongue now, well just reading this should've been enough.:rofl:

Actually you would give the bartender the extra buck for the one without the dye. ;):D

Marked fuels are cheaper as there is no highway tax. That is the only difference between the two-at least in Canada.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
I have a habit of dumping ATF in my Benz fuel tank. Lil extra lube for the old injection pump that was never meant for ULSD. Fact, few bottles in the trunk. That will make clear, red. As Newly said, how they gonna prove it? I doubt they'll sent it to a chemist to see "what" made it red, dye ot ATF...... Hypothetically speaking, if i bought off-road, i'd by it from a non-attended station and just fill up jugs, not the vehicle, and fill it up in the privacy of your own place. But thats all hypothetically speaking of course!. I know around kansas, K-DOT likes to go to ex:// rodeo's, auctions, events of the country folk variety and dip tanks while everyones busy:eek:

If a guy wanted to be real sneaky, make a false filler tube with a small amount of clear diesel in it:D

I doubt a diesel benz would get much attention:angel:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I found a place online that you can dye your fuel blue, yellow, green what ever you want,Companys buy it to see who is stealing from them.