off road diesel

02duramatic

Feb 5, 2009
has anyone been using off road diesel? what could potentally be harmful, other than high emission output.

EatSoot

diesel idiot
Aug 12, 2008
Florida
off-road diesel makes more smoke. Home heating oil is my fav.:coal:

For off road purposes, of course.

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Offorad diesel is no diferent from highway diesel except for the red di. There should not be more smoke at all from off road diesel and it should not harm DPF trucks anymore than stright No #2. We have run it for years from way back when my dad ran the old 6.9 and 7.3 IDI fords.

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
Offorad diesel is no diferent from highway diesel except for the red di. There should not be more smoke at all from off road diesel and it should not harm DPF trucks anymore than stright No #2. We have run it for years from way back when my dad ran the old 6.9 and 7.3 IDI fords.

Depends on the fuel company, on road diesel is ULS but offroad could be dyed ULS or LS. I can get both here, LS is alittle cheaper(probably less refining) so I might set up a oil tank or 2 with a pump.

deeretracks

You Cant Fix Stupid!!!
Feb 4, 2009
Arkansas
We run off road in are new trucks at work. they all have DPF and it had not caused any probs and we have close to 10 thou. miles on them.

bighawg

Proud American Infidel
May 12, 2008
Carnesville, Georgia
Not all off road diesel is ulsd. If you run it in a new truck you of course can have warranty problems if they find out.

In Georgia the Dot enforcement officers have been know to stop by locations where lots of farmers and ranchers hang out, such as cattle sales, livestock auctions and farmers markets. They go around to every diesel powered vehicle in the parking lot checking for dyed fuel.

Here it's about a $10,000 fine and then they sic the IRS on your ass. Not a pretty sight. I just don't chance it.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
LS is just oilier we have run it with no problems as well, We did get dipped in COL. about 10 years ago but I was like 12 and dad just told him that our primary truck broke down and we were useing the farm truck and once the 500galons of dye was out of the tank we would run highway #2. It worked for us may have been more luck than anything.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Not all off road diesel is ulsd. If you run it in a new truck you of course can have warranty problems if they find out.

In Georgia the Dot enforcement officers have been know to stop by locations where lots of farmers and ranchers hang out, such as cattle sales, livestock auctions and farmers markets. They go around to every diesel powered vehicle in the parking lot checking for dyed fuel.

Here it's about a $10,000 fine and then they sic the IRS on your ass. Not a pretty sight. I just don't chance it.

One of our members got caught here and he said it wasn't pretty :(

jheyob

Jan 30, 2009
Okeana OH/West Lafayette IN
Offorad diesel is no diferent from highway diesel except for the red di. There should not be more smoke at all from off road diesel and it should not harm DPF trucks anymore than stright No #2.

X2....about the only place that you can get 500ppm+ (off road high sulfur dyed) is alaska...most oil terminals across america have already stopped carrying the 500ppm (low sulfur dyed) stuff even, they are trying to simplify what product range they hold. Some places (wikipedia lol) say 80% of diesel made is ULSD (15ppm). After being in a family oil distributing business my entire life I feel that numbers probably closer to 90%+ with the bulk of the 10% being in alaska. Any fuel within a 100 mile radius of cincinnati is going to be ULSD, dyed or undyed.

s3gulit

Teh Farmer
Dec 6, 2008
Illinois
Fuel guy here still gets custom blends diesel, but its a premium price for it. Farm fuel is mandatory ULS in 2010, so you better get your storage tanks out if your planning to run any.

Most places like said, just dye clear ULS fuel accordingly to what its going to be used for.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
GM doesnt have any problem running offroad diesel in any of the duramax's.

Ben I agree it wont cause probloms ive ran in it all my chevy diesels 6.2 6.5, lb7 and LLY

On my 6.5 i went through about 6 injector pumps and they where trying to blame it on died fuel......Point is you know GM and how they will try and get out of it:)

BigLar368

Feb 14, 2009
Southeast TX
If you are not running DOT I would like to know what probable cause a police officer has by probing your tank for off raod diesel? By doing so that constitutes an illegal search and therefore would a violation of your civil rights. I get paid to know these thing...:eek:)

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
We got stopped for blown tail ight on the trailer and excesive smoke, it was a N/A diesel in high altitude, what did he expect? He let us off, I beleive the old man was callin BS on his reason for the smokein