Nitto Terra Grappler review

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I put some Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck at the end of the summer last year, and I thought I would give a little review of them to share my thoughts about them. The size I got is the 285/55R20 load range E tire. I currently have a little over 20k miles on the tires, and they are wearing very well. I just measured the tread depth, and they are all right at 10/32 of tread depth and wearing very evenly. Nitto lists the tread depth of this tire as 15.6/32 when new. That puts the wear at about 65%. Neither of the two previous sets of 20" tires I had made it past 25k miles (Cooper Zeon and Nitto 420S, both in 305/50), but these are on track to make it to 40k or more. They are a smooth running and quiet tire but a little harsher on bumps than previous tires, most likely due to the higher load rating. I haven't run into any problems with them in any conditions (even drove in a little snow/sleet mix stuff during the winter). So far, I'd have to say I will be buying these again, and I will recommend them to anyone else.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I ran a set of these in 265/75-16 E and I also liked them. They were very good in rain, freezing rain, snow and on gravel. I never had them in any serious mud or anything. They were also very durable, the tread caught alot of nails and screws with out leaking. I even hit a wooden pallet at 80 mph and took a chunk out the side wall but still never lost any air. Put about 30 000 miles on them, then put new wheels/tires on my truck. Gave them and a set of PYO's to my Dad and he still runs them. I will be going back to these in a 285/65-18 E this summer.

05smoker

I'm officially done!
Mar 30, 2007
Lebanon, OH
I just bought a set of 285/50/20 Cooper Zeons to replace my 18s. My 18s have 40k on them and still have life left on them.

bartman432

Nov 4, 2011
I had a set of the Nitto Terra Grapplers. They were very quiet on the street/hwy, rode nice and seemed to wear evenly. I rotated them every 5-6K.

Big Chris

2 Duramaxes> 1 Duramax
Mar 30, 2010
Rives Junction MI
I had a set of 265/70/17E on my H2 wheels and they did well. I got about 50k out of them. I never took them in the mud but they worked well on pavement and dirt roads. Quiet. Smooth ride and don't pick up rocks like BFG AT"s. I'd buy them again.

matt78

Finally boosted launches
Sep 10, 2012
texas
Have 23000 on mine, towed 10000# with them, still holding up. They get rotated alot at the track, imagine that.

408.Luke

Joined the DARKSIDE
Sep 19, 2009
Houston
I had them on my 06 F-350 service truck (dually). They lasted over 60k miles and I never rotated them. Truck weighed in around 12,000lbs if I remember right and the nittos still had some life when the motor blew up at 210K miles. Hands down my favorite all terain tier, about to replace my Mickey atz's with some on the dmax

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I have gotten over 70k on three sets now. They are a good tire but this last set I bought was a Cooper ATP that was much better in cost and I think that I will get as good or better on mileage out of them.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I don't care much for them, but I like mud tires. My old KMs had better traction on dry pavement. In the mud I have to put my truck in 4WD to get through stuff our 2WD cummins are going through. Granted they have a lot of weight on me and are gunning the hell out of there trucks.

They wear pretty good though and are very quite. Did good in the snow and ice for me too.

js05sierrahd

May 25, 2010
Highland Lakes, NJ
I put some Nitto Terra Grapplers on my truck at the end of the summer last year, and I thought I would give a little review of them to share my thoughts about them. The size I got is the 285/55R20 load range E tire. I currently have a little over 20k miles on the tires, and they are wearing very well. I just measured the tread depth, and they are all right at 10/32 of tread depth and wearing very evenly. Nitto lists the tread depth of this tire as 15.6/32 when new. That puts the wear at about 65%. Neither of the two previous sets of 20" tires I had made it past 25k miles (Cooper Zeon and Nitto 420S, both in 305/50), but these are on track to make it to 40k or more. They are a smooth running and quiet tire but a little harsher on bumps than previous tires, most likely due to the higher load rating. I haven't run into any problems with them in any conditions (even drove in a little snow/sleet mix stuff during the winter). So far, I'd have to say I will be buying these again, and I will recommend them to anyone else.

What pressure are you running on the 285/55R20? I just go a set on 20" XD Hoss and they came filled with 50psi all around from Discount. They ride real well I'm just wondering if I should add some air or leave them there. My Duramax is my DD.

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
I had a set of load range D 285/75 on pyo's and got 55k out of them

After running load "D" and "E" towing the same loads around for multiple years, I suggest saving the $ and buying Ds. They got me WAY better life than the Es. The Es only lasted 20-22k on my truck with regular rotations and NOT maxing out the PSI unless towing. Even my Nitto 420s have lasted longer than those overpriced A/Ts! I was severely dissapointed with the E rated series. I suppose if you tow heavy, you should go with them though.

other than the life of them I liked them, only got 30K out of them with 2 sets

Pretty much what I thought..didn't make a difference if it was BFG or Nitto TGs... They just didnt last.

Glad you got your money's worth though Josh! The tires that have seriously surprised me are the Hankook Dynapros. We have already gotten 46k miles on our Tahoe with them and they still have quite a bit of tread on em! A few buddies reccomended them to me and I'm glad I listened.

04D_MAX

force fed
Sep 10, 2012
SOUTH GA
I've got d's on mine, but I don't tow that much. I thought it wasn't a good idea to tow on a regular basis with d's on any hd truck??

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
What pressure are you running on the 285/55R20? I just go a set on 20" XD Hoss and they came filled with 50psi all around from Discount. They ride real well I'm just wondering if I should add some air or leave them there. My Duramax is my DD.
I run about 55 in the front and about 40 in the back.

I did some heavy towing with them today (overloaded by quite a bit to be honest :eek:), and they handled the weight just fine. Still very happy with the tires.

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I ended up going with 285/55-20 E Terra Grapplers. I only have about 60 miles on them so far. I'm running about 54 psi front and back. Did anyone else's Terra's take a bit of weight to balance? My old 265's did and so did these.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I am now past 40k miles on these tires, and they are still wearing very well. I don't think it'll be any problem to make it to 45k miles and maybe even 50k. Now that they're worn, they seem to spin a lot easier on wet roads, but I would definitely recommend these tires.

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Now that they're worn, they seem to spin a lot easier on wet roads, but I would definitely recommend these tires.
This is my opinion exactly. I bought mine used, no idea how many miles are on them but they have another 5-10k in then before they're to the wear bars. But they do spin super easy on wet roads. Even loaded with a trailer I spin going over the white lines taking off from red lights. I usually just kick it into 4wd if I'm in red light to red light traffic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk