New turbo! Couple questions...

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Just put on my danville 68mm stg2r and ppe manifolds and up pipes to compliment it. Turbo sounds wicked btw! Anyhow iv got a couple questions. Tony from ridge runner sent me new tuning and he included two tune files. One is vanes more closed for a hiss noise and one more open for a rumble noise at idle. He said just personal preference but i cant decide which i like better haha, so to persuade me is there any sort of benefit from one to the other? Or strictly for idle sound? Also my mbrp down pipe is totally against the ppe up-pipe to get it to line up with the exhaust and even yet i have to pry the exhaust flange over to get it to line up and get the clamp on. And i noticed a bit of air coming out of this connection. I tightened the v-band really tight trying to stop the leak. Any recommendations? Will a little leak hurt anything? Over all really happy with this charger. Still going easy on it but i can tell its going to really pull. Got levi's blankets coming also! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
https://vimeo.com/144937598
dc4a758e9f14e21be82c184698039579.jpg
44f15e1f25ecb9503a382979360f9596.jpg

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Congrats on the new turbo! Looks like you have quite a few goodies under the hood :thumb:
As far as fitting the downpipe and all, I had to leave the connections loose all the way back to the mid-pipe...my big gap was at the downpipe to mid pipe and at one point I actually broke the bolt of a band clamp trying to close it up...talk about being a stubborn Norwegian man...lol

My downpipe has about 1/32" clearance between the uppipe ;)

The tuning thing is interesting, I've never had/done a back to back like you have, bit I would think off idle and possibly off "tip throttle" response would be better with the tuning that has tighter vane position...just my hunch

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Congrats on the turbo!
Congrats on the new turbo! Looks like you have quite a few goodies under the hood :thumb:
As far as fitting the downpipe and all, I had to leave the connections loose all the way back to the mid-pipe...my big gap was at the downpipe to mid pipe and at one point I actually broke the bolt of a band clamp trying to close it up...talk about being a stubborn Norwegian man...lol

The tuning thing is interesting, I've never had/done a back to back like you have, bit I would think off idle and possibly off "tip throttle" response would be better with the tuning that has tighter vane position...just my hunch
Hmm, I didn't think framers knew what a 32nd is :hug:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Congrats on the turbo!

Hmm, I didn't think framers knew what a 32nd is :hug:

LMFAO!
OMG...that just made my day
:roflmao:

I guess you never met a framer like me... :thumb:
It's whin my welder brother starts talking about being within 1mm over 45-60' runs I get worried:joker:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
LMFAO!
OMG...that just made my day

I guess you never met a framer like me... :thumb:
It's whin my welder brother starts talking about being within 1mm over 45-60' runs I get worried:joker:

What the hell was he welding? That is worry some haha

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Hey thanks guys! Yea thats what i was thinking because the hiss tuning it idles right where the vanes kick in when i throttle up in the rumble tuning. Yea i think ill have to start farther back on the exhaust and work my way up or something. Did you oeave the down pipe seated though at the turbo?

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl

There would be no benefit with the hiss idle vs rumble AKA lb7 idle. The vanes change as soon as you touch the throttle so one should run every bit as good as the other. I personally prefer the lb7 idle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Ok so just preference, yea i cant decide which i like yet! Haha but figured id ask to see if one was more beneficial than the other

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Hey. Did you leave the down pipe seated though at the turbo?

I had to loosen everything back to (and including) the midpipde to get both flanges on the downpipe in the V-bands and when I got the alignment dialed in on everything I started tightening everything turbo first

Guess Phinney says vein position doesn't matter so much, I figured as much but sometimes it's just getting over what your mind "thinks" I couldn't tell you what Mark has in my tuning...actually, this thread has jogged my memory and come to think about it, I do remember him asking what idle style I wanted and I said the rumble idle, OF COURSE! LOL

I'm satisfied with it, fer sure. Can't say enough good things about Mark Broviak, out of all the tuners I've used Marks tuning meets my standards and actually he has changed them...

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I like my vanes with the R turbo around 55% at idle. Little rumble with a slight hiss. The only actaully benefit to having them closed is that it will heat the engine up faster due to back pressure.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio
Thanks y'all! Im liking it so far. Ill let you all know what its like when i really can get on it. Im sure my stock fuel is holding me back a bit on utilizing the full potential of this charger but so far its awesome. Really whistles for sure. Im just gonna run the rumble type idle because i like the sound better but yea i was actually telling my buddy today that i bet marks tuning woukd be the best for his turbo because im sure hes tuned countless trucks for his turbo's and nothing against moonshine because his tunes have always been top notch for me but it woukd be interesting to do a comparison but im sure you cant go wrong with either. And like i said im sure im limited with my stock fueling but im still working with stock pistons and rods too. Hopefully they hold up.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Nice mods! I just had a leak on the v band connection I fixed too. Once I loosened the 13mm bolt on the down pipe bracket it went together. I didn't even have to take the bolt out. The leak I fixed was very minor so not sure how bad yours is. Might have to do what CoCoal said.

I prefer the rumble.

1QUICKZ28

Feb 7, 2014
I have the same turbo with Rick's performance manifolds and up pipes. (Think he makes them for PPE) Anyway, I prefer the rumble at idle. And whistles is an understatement, love the sound and performance, EGT's stay in check while towing. Congrats on the new setup, you'll love it!! The sound attracts a lot of attention. Sounds like a jet plane pulls like a freight train! Neighbors asked why my truck makes all that noise, I just said "Because Power" !!! LOL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I have the same turbo with Rick's performance manifolds and up pipes. (Think he makes them for PPE) Anyway, I prefer the rumble at idle. And whistles is an understatement, love the sound and performance, EGT's stay in check while towing. Congrats on the new setup, you'll love it!! The sound attracts a lot of attention. Sounds like a jet plane pulls like a freight train! Neighbors asked why my truck makes all that noise, I just said "Because Power" !!! LOL!

Rick's don't look the same. I think it's just a rumor.

C.bowles2

2005 lly duramax
Nov 16, 2013
Ohio

Haha thats great, im loving it so far. About to drive to work and im sure im gonna have trouble keeping the rear end from spinning because of the rain lol. Funny you say pulls like a freight train. Im a conductor for the rail road lol it actually kinda does feel like that lol

RidinHigh99

Feb 19, 2014
How bad was that turbo to install? I've been contemplating ordering one for so long

Djreversal

Jul 14, 2011
I just put a 3794 stg 2 in my truck yesterday.. its a bit annoying to install but its really not that bad, couple bolts are a bitch to get to. Have some swivels and stuff and you should be fine. Also I had my EGR and all that fully deleted and wcfab y bridge and stuff so it made the job easier. up pipes, downpipe and turbo inlet come off, oil feed is easy, return was a bit annoying, pop the 2 water lines and a little fenagaling and it came out.