New Turbo and still NO boost. HELP!!!

freestylest22

May 17, 2015
Springtown Texas
I have about 400 miles on the new wix fuel filter. Lift pump is in the future. Quinton. I may hit you up this weekend or next week if it's not better tomorrow. I sure appreciate all the help guys.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
That turbo would run fine with stock tuning if the truck is mechanically sound, just not optimized for best performance.

I recommend pressure testing the complete high pressure side system on the truck. Intercooler, boost tubes, Y bridge, and have the turbo inspected if that comes back negative.

I'm guessing like everyone has already mentioned, you have a boost leak.

Tuning can do cool things, but cannot fix mechanical issues with a truck no matter how many versions are made and sent.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
That turbo would run fine with stock tuning if the truck is mechanically sound, just not optimized for best performance.

I recommend pressure testing the complete high pressure side system on the truck. Intercooler, boost tubes, Y bridge, and have the turbo inspected if that comes back negative.

I'm guessing like everyone has already mentioned, you have a boost leak.

Tuning can do cool things, but cannot fix mechanical issues with a truck no matter how many versions are made and sent.

True story right there! 98% of the time it turns out to be a mechanical issue causing the complaints. I have had customers drive their truck to me to prove my charger was not working properly only to find bolts hanging out of the up-pipes... Stupid shit happens everyday unfortunately, you'll find the issue buddy!

freestylest22

May 17, 2015
Springtown Texas
I've looked for the stupid stuff and no luck yet. Rob, that's the next step for me, a pressure check. It's got to be the y bridge or intercooler itself I'm afraid. Couldn't be a cheap boot for me. Why are a couple of you guys saying WIX isn't a good fuel filter???

I was running the truck today on the performance tune and once it actually picked up and ran. I'm lost on this thing right now.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I've looked for the stupid stuff and no luck yet. Rob, that's the next step for me, a pressure check. It's got to be the y bridge or intercooler itself I'm afraid. Couldn't be a cheap boot for me. Why are a couple of you guys saying WIX isn't a good fuel filter???

I was running the truck today on the performance tune and once it actually picked up and ran. I'm lost on this thing right now.

The wix plastic fuel filter is junk in its design. The plastic housing can crack and leak, the oring flap crap in the center of it it's stupid design.

The way the wix filter is it's actually possible to install it over a gm style oring and have a leaking system (air) which In turn can kill pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'm in Springtown, just North of Fort Worth Texas.
I'm using the trucks stock boost sensor. I'm ordering the EAS as I bought the expandable egt probe.
The truck has a dark haze smoke as it's climbing in rpm and SLOW boost at WOT. A turd for even a stock truck.
What do I need to check on the Y-bridge?
I also had this problem before the new turbo and had the chevy house where I bought it and diesel shop say it was a bad turbo. But it was interment then. Now it's all the time with an occasional WOW and the truck will run.
I'm having Idaho Rob build another tune for it again since I've added the up pipes and manifolds.

Also thinking about adding the S&B cold air kit. Dry. Any thoughts on this? I've done the air box mod.

If its intermittent then its an electrical problem or a bad or poorly functioning sensor. Scan your maf sensor or better yet clean it then go run it...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think pretty much everything has been covered already, but if you need someone else to take a look at it, I'm about 70 miles east of Dallas on I-20. I'd be happy to figure it out for you.

Freestyle, you would be doing yourself a favor to get a 2nd opinion from Josh.

Tothemax

xgmtech
Oct 16, 2014
new york
Seen wix filters kill two sets of injectors and a pump on a couple of trucks I've worked on. Stay as far away from them as possible.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
With how expensive these parts are why risk it to save 10 bucks.

Go see Josh.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

freestylest22

May 17, 2015
Springtown Texas
I've cleaned my MAF a few times now. Crawled all over, under and inside the engine compartment. Spraying carb cleaner on the boost tubes and fittings to try and find a leak. Changed out a fuel filter with 2k miles on it, then changed out the fuel filter housing. I don't have any codes. :confused::confused:

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
You need to apply pressure to the inside of the boost tubes. Spraying the out side is not going to do anything unless there is a serious hole.

freestylest22

May 17, 2015
Springtown Texas
Well I'm also thinking it may not be a boost leak because the truck will build 22 or 24psi at max but it just takes a few seconds to SLOWLY get it there. Like there's a restriction somewhere. But the turbo I'm running is suppose to build 35 if my tuning is supporting this.

But what do you mean apply pressure to the inside of the boost tubes? I had my son holding a few rpm's while I was spraying.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Really dumb question... Is the vane solenoid plugged in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk