New project

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
For the Samurai. While im building the buggy, the zuk needs some help for this coming dunes season to be able to get me around those dunes.

it consists of some of this

few of these

couple of these thingers

one of these

and of course the most important part of this whole concoction

this should all lead to this

or this

This should turn out interesting as there is no documented information about turboing a stock EFI samurai 1.3. the hard part is there is no way to tune the factory ECM. i would have to switch to a new system like megasquirt or something else. Well im too cheap to do that and people say you cant do what im doing to make the stock EFI system work with a turbo. At this point, goal is to get 5psi out of a K03 turbo, build a log manifold (this will be nothing like them pretty things Rick makes :D, let alone flow the best), put a FMU on the factory fuel system to hopefully boost pressure enough to keep the rig form going lean at WOT, and put her all together. There will be no intercooler as it will do me no good crawling nor am i making this a all out performance deal. if i get concerned for high IATs in the dunes, ill add a water meth kit.

only things i need at this point is some hose from Napa for oil drain and coolant lines, some t fittings, gauges, and to start putting it all together this weekend.

Down the road, if i dont sell the rig, i may go to megasquirt, add an intercooler, and really turn the boost up but this should be PLENTY for now :D

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
sounds like a fun project, im interested in seeing it come together

thanks! should be interesting to say the least

You finally found the flange you needed :thumb::thumb:

lol yeah, the turbo i originally had wouldnt work and i went ahead and ordered that flange kit. turns out the new turbo i have will use all those flanges i got lol. worked out perfect

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
James, i believe we can run a standalone injector with a dobeck controller and use a basic map sensor. You would adjust your fuel accordingly and it will follow the map sensor.

I know we can do it with a power commander but it would be cheap if I did it through dobeck

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James, i believe we can run a standalone injector with a dobeck controller and use a basic map sensor. You would adjust your fuel accordingly and it will follow the map sensor.

I know we can do it with a power commander but it would be cheap if I did it through dobeck

Oh really! ill have to check into that! there is a guy running 22psi on a 100% stock 1.6 8v (same as mine but .3 bigger lol) but he has a alky injection system that works like water/meth.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
Don't be scared!!! Turned that beast up!!

Ill see what I can figure out. The guys can basically write the code to do whatever you need. Ill get you some answers.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Some progress. Manifold made, turbo exhaust housing changed out and massaged a gt15 turbo drain to work on the k03. Dunno if the front compressor housing will work with the 90* angle on it but I got a regular one to use if not. Weld the drain bung in the oil pan tomorrow, the moch up so I can figure out where to place the turbo exhaust flange and drill

Good turbo torn down
qa6ady4u.jpg

Bad on stripped
ysebuzut.jpg

Put together with oil feed fittings in and drain on
u9uve3u7.jpg

Weld els cut
qetuga7y.jpg

ugynagaq.jpg

Ends forty fived and welded
nu3ata5y.jpg

I would not use this exhaust flange I got. The guy made it too thin and it wanted to warp. It should work now but it was a bitch

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
James you need to turbo that 4.3 now that would be some nice power.

Lol that won't be till after I blow the motor up as it is now. She may get a 75-100shot to speed that up for the time being. Then it's getting a full out build and possibly a hair dryer lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Some more progress. Mock up

avenapa4.jpg

8esyjavu.jpg

be4eqa4u.jpg

6ebupaha.jpg

Gotta drop the turbo another inch or so and find me a turbo blanket. Wonder if Levi makes any for the k03

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Some more progress. Mock up

avenapa4.jpg

8esyjavu.jpg

be4eqa4u.jpg

6ebupaha.jpg

Gotta drop the turbo another inch or so and find me a turbo blanket. Wonder if Levi makes any for the k03

I miss my old Samari from time to time, it wasn't EFI though. I put some 35's on it, 5" lift, different transfer case gears, redid the body and painted it.
They're so light they float over every thing. I beat the crap out of mine and had a blast; I had that thing in mud/water up to the doors & 5' in the air on more than one occasion :thumb:. Not to mention the wheelies it could do leaving an approach.:roflmao: I can't believe I never rolled it.

It may just be the picture but that sharp corner to the turbo would have me worried. But this is just an experiment at this point; like you said if it works you refine it some more.

Sorry for the off topic James keep up the good work and as always more pictures and post a video of how it does & sounds when you're done. :thumb:

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I miss my old Samari from time to time, it wasn't EFI though. I put some 35's on it, 5" lift, different transfer case gears, redid the body and painted it.
They're so light they float over every thing. I beat the crap out of mine and had a blast; I had that thing in mud/water up to the doors & 5' in the air on more than one occasion :thumb:. Not to mention the wheelies it could do leaving an approach.:roflmao: I can't believe I never rolled it.

It may just be the picture but that sharp corner to the turbo would have me worried. But this is just an experiment at this point; like you said if it works you refine it some more.

Sorry for the off topic James keep up the good work and as always more pictures and post a video of how it does & sounds when you're done. :thumb:

Yellowchevy

Haha all good buddy. are you talking the pipe coming up off the log manifold? that is how every guy that has put a turbo on their samurai has done it besides a few guys who went crazy and built some nice headers. it by no means is built for flow but if you ever had the chance to look down the intake manifold of a samurai, you would go nuts at how restricted that thing is. the exhaust wouldnt be my worry unless i decided to start trying to push 15psi or more on to the zuk.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Haha all good buddy. are you talking the pipe coming up off the log manifold? that is how every guy that has put a turbo on their samurai has done it besides a few guys who went crazy and built some nice headers. it by no means is built for flow but if you ever had the chance to look down the intake manifold of a samurai, you would go nuts at how restricted that thing is. the exhaust wouldnt be my worry unless i decided to start trying to push 15psi or more on to the zuk.

That's true. I had the Samari before I had the port/polish bug :thumb::roflmao:

If other people do it I can understand why you would than, but I weird :D

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That's true. I had the Samari before I had the port/polish bug :thumb::roflmao:

If other people do it I can understand why you would than, but I weird :D

Yellowchevy

trust me, i know its not the best flowing and not go for supporting HP but im working with an anemic 1.3l motor that will hardly build any drive pressure to even just dry your own hair :roflmao: