New project

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
What you're trying to do is very similar to how we used to do the Stage one Hayabusa turbo systems before the second generation Busa came around.

With the power level you're looking at, an FMU setup should be fine.

But a separate injector controller with an independent MAP sensor is another option. Just a bit more coin.

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
203889d1286504412-srp-steadman-motorsports-stage-one-install-help-029.jpg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Nice! thank you! im really hoping the stock fuel pump will be able to push the pressure. IIRC ive had it regulated up to 60psi before but im thinkin ill need around 70psi to stay on track. never tried to regulate it up higher as it was waaaay to rich that way and i just wanted to see if my regulator was working

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
Typically with the FMU, take out the factory regulator and run the pump straight to the FMU. Then set the base fuel pressure at the FMU. Then it will rise with boost. Depends which FMU you use if it rises 1:1, 3:1 etc...

There's a bit more to it, but that's the gist.

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
In the busas we run a 3:1. If we go to a controller and secondary injectors, then we run a 1:1 boost referenced regulator to the whole setup.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Typically with the FMU, take out the factory regulator and run the pump straight to the FMU. Then set the base fuel pressure at the FMU. Then it will rise with boost. Depends which FMU you use if it rises 1:1, 3:1 etc...

There's a bit more to it, but that's the gist.

the vortech one i have suggest i use my adjustable regulator to set the base, then it will increase pressure as boost comes on. there isnt a way to set base pressure from what i can see on it. the fmu i got came with a whole kit from 3:1 to 12:1 so i can adjust from 3,4,6,7,8,10,and 12:1. last guy i had somewhat scrounged some info on said he was using a 6:1 in his.

Crawler

Aug 26, 2013
DFW, TX
That gives you a starting point. If it gets too fat on the op then back it down. Better than starting way lean.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Some more progress. Cleaned up an extra oil pan from a buddy he gave me and added a oil drain to it, threw a bit of paint on it and threw it on the zuk. Also put the FMU on and cleaned the wiring up a bit. Then after seeing my power steering bracket had broke AGAIN for the 100th time, I trashed all the brackets and made a whole new setup. I didn't slot the bracket to allow easier belt adjustment cause I'm not sure how ill do that so I drilled the bolt hole to the point of the belt being pretty tight. Then coped the turbo flange pipe and welded it to the manifold, put it on with the turbo, put the oil feed on and put the oil drain line on but need a 90* fitting to make it work on the oil pan. Should have it running tomorrow but no driving till my wideband o2 sensor comes in. Need an exhaust 3 bolt flange to connect everything up too.

qapypuhu.jpg

9ehe5uta.jpg

New bracket in the making
4yne7ega.jpg

Way better pully alignment than before
6ame4ama.jpg

Gusset added and bracket trimmed
ryhahebu.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
And where I finished for the night
maqemuha.jpg

eha9ypan.jpg

I also need to figure out a routing for the oil feed line to stay away from the rubber hoses. That crap will rub through in a heart beat

jmaz268

Lead from the Front
May 20, 2010
Springfield IL
And where I finished for the night
maqemuha.jpg

eha9ypan.jpg

I also need to figure out a routing for the oil feed line to stay away from the rubber hoses. That crap will rub through in a heart beat

Just get some get some of that lava heat wrap stuff....it's got a rubberized coating on top and like a fiberglass on the inside.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well got her to about 85% today. Built the charge piping, started a down pipe and add the factory o2 sensor to it, put the blow off valve on, ran the FMU fuel lines, ran new vac lines, and button a bunch of little things up.

e3ysaqe3.jpg

7eqy2uhu.jpg

And......

And she runs!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIW830ETEvw

Forgot the map sensor vac line came off so that's why it sounds like she's missing a bit in the vid. Fixed that and did a little lap around the block. Definitely gunna be a fun little rig

At this point it needs a bit more 2.5" pipe to connect it to my exhaust, waiting on my o2 seonsor to come in so I can see my afr's, need to heat wrap the charge pipe and possibly the exhaust manifold, need an air filter, need to change the wastegate line location, add an oil cooler (biggy in my book before she goes on any trips), and then tune the thing.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
It's pretty fun to tinker with! And it was cheap, I have about 600 bucks wrapped up in it his far and about two days total time in it. Didn't help this whole weekend I never started on it till after lunch lol

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
That's awesome James :thumb::thumb:

I bet you had the biggest grin on your face when she fired up. :woott:

You make me want to get a Samari again!! :D

This also makes me want to turbo charge my rock crawler, haha :D

Get a video up when its runny good and drive by so we can hear that spinning thing! :D

Yellowchevy

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol the first fire up, I had fuel pissing out the bottom of the rig. Totally forgot to tighten the fuel line I took off earlier. Otherwise I had no leaks or nothing. I was pretty damn happy lol. Took the girly around the block. You can really hear the turbo, surprised me. It's not as loud as my 475 but there is no mistaking it has a turbo under the good lol

Ill get a vid up when's she's runnin right and hammer through the gears. Thing sounds like it will have so much hp but I'd be lucky to hit 100rwhp lol

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No that's just how tiny the turbo is lmao. It's a -4 line, same thing that's on my 475