New plastic fuel filter?

NWTDIESEL

On a Time Out
May 8, 2008
ATS Extreme trans
Whats up with the new plastic fuel filters for the Dmax? Any info? I put one on a truck last weak and they feel week and they dont have the rubber piece in the center anymore.

WTF?

Attachments

• new filter.gif
    new filter.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Hmm, thats cheesy:(

Looks like an exellent reason to throw the stock filter/head unit in the parts bucket and put my CAT unit on when i finish this sucker. :thumb:

Prolly costs more than a metal one too huh?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I looked down into one of the new style coalescing filters, and I just don't see how they could fit all of the filter media inside of that plastic container. I'm running the RACOR replacement on mine right now and am happy with it.

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Wix does not make junk. I am sure it is fine. I have been using Wix on most everything and I never had an issue. They make good stuff.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
X2
Its just wix/napa gold AC Delo is still going to be metal I believe. Wix has been using another manufactures filter and relabeling it. Now this one is there own "improve" design that they relabel for other brands as well. Or so I have read.

LBZrcks

Jun 2, 2007
SoCal
Saw this on dp

After extensive testing and research, WIX Filters is proud to offer the new WIX 33960 fuel filter for 2001-2009 Chevrolet-GMC trucks with 6.6L Duramax diesel engines. This upgraded design of the WIX 33960 directly replaces the original WIX 33910. The WIX 33960 fuel filter features many benefits over previous and competitive designs.

The WIX 33960 features an all plastic, environmentally friendly design which is both rust proof and water proof. This all-plastic design, only from WIX, will not dent due to increased durability and shell strength, and the plastic provides 100% corrosion protection. Competing diesel fuel filters made of metal are susceptible to rust and corrosion, particularly with today’s ULSD fuels. Because ULSD and biofuels are prone to water absorption, that water must be stripped and contained by the filter, which can cause eventual corrosion in a metal filter can.

The WIX 33960 has been designed with molded threads in the top and bottom of the canister, which eliminates the risk of leakage when compared to competing designs that feature a threaded insert
that mate with the can. The molded threads in the bottom of the WIX filter eliminate the issues seen with inserts, like water collecting around the insert and causing corrosion. And because they are molded, the threads won’t be misaligned, as can happen with inserted threads.
Capacity and efficiency testing was completed successfully, and cycle fatigue and burst testing hit their targets with no leaks. WIX engineers were able to successfully design a fuel filter with a moreuser-friendly design that achieves the same or better flow rates than previous and competitive designs. This was achieved by shrinking the filter container, but keeping the actual filter element at its full size.

wes06dmax

Feb 23, 2009
South Central Kentucky
I went to parts house the other day to get mine and they was like do you want the new plastic version I was like hell no when did they start making plastic fuel filters so I got a off brand something for $30 its sopost to be the same as the WIX and the plastic one was like $45-$50

Last edited:

Randy5.0

MAKE IT 3 YDS MF
Sep 7, 2008
Went to NAPA tonight and they wanted $43 for the new plastic one or $45 plus shipping for the metal one which they would have to order from out of state. I didn't buy one, I think I can do better than that.

Jared Duramax

<---- $$$ Whore!!
Feb 13, 2008
Matthews NC
i would be all for a plastic one because all of my filters that i cut open have some sort of corosion in them i could only think that plastic would keep my fuel cleaner