New part some might be interested in

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
[/COLOR]

Thats wht i was wondering as well. Right now with my dual cp3s stock lines and lift pump i dont see temps over 120F and i belive 120-150 is the sweet spot. .?

Cummins says he sweet spot is between 75F and 100F. I bet with your setup you will see 150 to 175F in the summer. The lower the fuel in tank means the hotter it will get.

Last edited:

slowlmm

Mar 2, 2008
so cal
Cummins says he sweet spot is between 75F and 100F. I bet with your setup you will see 150 to 175F in the summer. The lower the fuel in tank means the hotter it will get.

oh ok lower then i recalled :eek: I knew u had told me before. my old age is getting to me :rofl: Does any one know or have done any testing on hp losses as the fuel temp goes up in one of our trucks ?

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego

Good to know Mike, THX. 75-100.

I'll need to find out what it enters the CP at, another blasted fitting. Wonder if i could tap the rail for temp... post CP3 temp:rofl:

Can i assume the temp goes up with lower fuel level because of pump cycling heating the smaller body if fuel faster?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The fuel in the tank does more cooling than the fuel cooler itself. So the lower the level. the less cool fuel in the tank for the hot return fuel to mix with.
I think when the fuel temp gets around 215F the ECM starts pulling timing out of the engine. I recommend a fuel cooler; you will notice a difference and you will increase your mileage.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
The fuel in the tank does more cooling than the fuel cooler itself. So the lower the level. the less cool fuel in the tank for the hot return fuel to mix with.
I think when the fuel temp gets around 215F the ECM starts pulling timing out of the engine. I recommend a fuel cooler; you will notice a difference and you will increase your mileage.

I got the cooling covered.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Yup, that would the max gain due to density, assuming you had a restriction based on fueling. If you were overfuelled already (rarely the case with Dmaxes) it could actually hurt performance, and you should get more air.

keith2500hd

MOTORKILLER
Jul 20, 2008
Burlington,iowa
what pat talked about is kinetic stall, large fuel line has more density along with its volumn. showed up with high acceleration(top fuel, fighter aircraft) sudden rapid acceleration would allow fuel to stall and sometimes push against pressure regulator, allowing fuel to return back to tank, inline ball check valves help prevent backrush. the backrush locks out fuel flow to engine, so use size of fuel line til you need more. sled pulling and speed runs would not likely see problems, but drags may get negitive reactions. also that large fuel line with slow moving fuel will pickup heat from engine compartment and reduce the fuels density.