Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
It's actually a 77 mm wheel
850 would be based on the 1.19 a/r
ge3urupy.jpg

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
That sounds a little more reasonable...

But still probably only realistic for the gassers.

This would be an amazing tow/DD/strip turbo though if that map is accurate. Tow heavy without problems and then crank up the fuel on the weekends and it'd still perform up high in the map for the drag strip.

Last edited:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
It's actually a 77 mm wheel
850 would be based on the 1.19 a/r
ge3urupy.jpg

Actually no it's not! The Sema picture and this turbo is not the same. You need to do your homework. On a gasser running E95 race fuel at 30psi it may come close but not in our world.

Justin-Why would you want a billet version of a stock wheel we already use, pointless at this point. If there is no trim change then there is no point.

Dieselson-Perfect example right there. You guys are PPE guys through and through and did mid 600hp with a turbo that is technically bigger than this one, that's my whole point guys!

dieselson

Oct 14, 2006
Huntington Beach, CA
Actually no it's not! The Sema picture and this turbo is not the same. You need to do your homework. On a gasser running E95 race fuel at 30psi it may come close but not in our world.

Justin-Why would you want a billet version of a stock wheel we already use, pointless at this point. If there is no trim change then there is no point.

Dieselson-Perfect example right there. You guys are PPE guys through and through and did mid 600hp with a turbo that is technically bigger than this one, that's my whole point guys!

Mark,
I heard that the 68mm turbine wheel was a typo and it is the same 77mm turbine wheel as the normal gt4088r, but I cannot confirm that. With a 68mm turbine, that would effectively make this turbo a GTX3588R. Keep in mind, the truck that made 654 was with no lift pump, stock intake bridge, stock boost tubes, stock manifolds and up pipes, stock intercooler, and stock injectors, with the tighest turbine housing garrett had available. I would venture to guess the truck could've made over 700 with a .95 or 1.06 ar housing and all those parts.

Last edited:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Mark,
I heard that the 68mm turbine wheel was a typo and it is the same 77mm turbine wheel as the normal gt4088r, but I cannot confirm that. With a 68mm turbine, that would effectively make this turbo a GTX3588R. Keep in mind, the truck that made 654 was with no lift pump, stock intake bridge, stock boost tubes, stock manifolds and up pipes, stock intercooler, and stock injectors, with the tighest turbine housing garrett had available. I would venture to guess the truck could've made over 700 with a .95 or 1.06 ar housing and all those parts.

If it was a typo it would make a lot more sense! Your correct, in perfect world conditions it should do 700-720hp with the larger turbine. My point is you are not going to whoop a GT4094r's ass with an billet/stock lly wheel on a 4088r frame unless you don't have enough drive for the 4094, period! That's false advertising!

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Mark,
I was sort of being sarcastic about chinese billet knockoff wheels.

I do like how the 4094avnt performs with the 64mm lly front cover and wheel though.

I just play around you are the expert Mark. But this is how we all learn stuff.
Thanks

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009

I was told it was a typo
But only time will tell before "PPE" gets one. Lol
Most importantly, my homework indicates that the a/r available will outflow the vvt.

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
Obviously by the GT40 name it's a GT40 turbine, but you're missing the point that these are extreme gas racer power claims. This 800hp claim is for a lowered compression, race gas fed Toyota Supra dyno queen on a good day with a healthy correction factor. Trying to use any Garrett hp claim advertised for a new SEMA product as a predictor for duramax performance is dumb. Garrett's hp claims have always been optimistic and gas engine correlated, nothing new here.

The typo is funny though.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
Obviously by the GT40 name it's a GT40 turbine, but you're missing the point that these are extreme gas racer power claims. This 800hp claim is for a lowered compression, race gas fed Toyota Supra dyno queen on a good day with a healthy correction factor. Trying to use any Garrett hp claim advertised for a new SEMA product as a predictor for duramax performance is dumb. Garrett's hp claims have always been optimistic and gas engine correlated, nothing new here.

The typo is funny though.

This turbo will be replacing the GT4094r, which flows 80lbs per minute and I have seen them make 650+ on a variety of dual pump stock injectors trucks ; which equates to 750-800 flywheel horsepower.
So I don't see making 700-750 rwhp a problem, based on the flow chart and 4094r numbers

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
http://www.merchant-automotive.com/garrettgt40rturbo4088r.aspx

http://www.pacificp.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_7&products_id=138

I know that these examples are optimistic for real world performance, they are possibly even crank horse numbers as well.

That being said, and the point, here's two known suppliers to the diesel performance industry selling kits for the GT40 framed GT4088r for the duramax, claiming 700-750hp potential....

So why is it so inconceivable that with a revised wheel (GTX) and whatever else Garrett/Honeywell has or is going to do with the compressor housing and turbine/turbine housing and everything else, won't make the same or better numbers??? Also, the info being scrutinized here could be temporary at best, if even real, it was a S.E.M.A release, the turbo they could have shown could've been a one off Frankenstein turbo set up just to have something at the show.....there's already been "a typo" in the important data #'s...:rolleyes:

Bottom line, and something that should be noted, is that Garrett is discontinuing the GT4094 and replacing it with this new GTX4088, that's a pretty big deal, the 4094 is a tried and true turbo, if Garrett believes the new GTX4088 is so much better than the old 4094, enough to replace the GT4094

That's enough for me;) this is nothing to argue about, it's all just marketing anyways...

Also, it kinda gives some insight as to what the future may hold,it appears ball bearing technology may be becoming the standard.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009

See previous post

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
So uhhh...

Anyone interested in testing this thing out? I'd kill for one of these and an exhaust brake slapped in behind my LML... I know the 4088R was supposed to be a wet dream while towing hard with a ~450hp tune. With the map extended and stock like spool ability this turbo seems to be a perfect match for the stock block LBZ/LMM/LML crowd pushing 600hp on occasion and 450 daily, with some air in reserve for future upgrades.

I'm really interested in this turbo as a future upgrade but I won't be seriously shopping until this time next year...

Sep 10, 2008
Morehead City, North Carolina
I think you can save money and just buy a billet wheel to upgrade yours?

Changing the 63.5mm cast wheel to a billet wheel will not change much.....when compared to the GTX4088r....IIRC, the compressor and exhaust housings are identical; however, the compressor wheel is larger....inducer 65mm vs 63.5mm and exducer 88.4mm vs 88mm and 54 trim vs 52.

I highly doubt Garrett would be willing to sell a new CHRA with larger wheels to retrofit my GT4088r. I'm guessing I'll have to either sell mine as is, refresh CHRA or look into Garrett's BB Service Program (my unit isn't damaged though....works great).

Last edited: