LLY: New Crower Crankshaft!

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has started running one of Crower's new duramax crankshafts yet, or has some good info on, I'm in the process of refreshing and rebuilding my built motor and considering different options. Piece of mind with all broken crankshaft stories has really gotten to me, especially since the fact my uncles LML just busted one. I was also thinking maybe the alternating firing order cam but the more research I do it just seems regardless it could happen, damned if you do, damned if you dont. Trying to get a feeler out there. I've built 7 duramax motors to date and all still running strong but with this build I wanna go all out but not sure if it'll be worth dropping the $$$$' for just a crank. Haven't seen a price on it yet, maybe some else has?
http://www.crower.com/products/

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Most billet cranks break same as stock, alter fire order camshafts dont help either, just another gimmic IMO. I was told of crank failure with alter fire order camshafts not too long ago...

I believe the answer is in a combination of things, not one part or the other.

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
People keep saying that alter fire engines still break cranks but no one can prove it has actually happened.

Where are the pictures of said engine?

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
They aren't really new. I'd look into the alternate firing order cam and some other things in the machining process to protect the crank sir.

Like what though? They still break no matter what you do it seems so what gives?

Wonder what the price is?

That's what I'd like to know too, shows a new product. Maybe new design rather than bit being new as mentioned. Most their billet stuff goes 3500$ or higher so for the DMax I'd guess somewhere close to that. I'm
Going to call them today and ask.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
People keep saying that alter fire engines still break cranks but no one can prove it has actually happened.

Where are the pictures of said engine?

I agree with you there, I've heard cranks broken now matter what you do but is there really any dead set proof on what's doing it and why? I know Fingers had been looking into this a good bit. Maybe we are missing the point all along and it's the construction of the block that could be causing the issue, who knows?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Most billet cranks break same as stock, alter fire order camshafts dont help either, just another gimmic IMO. I was told of crank failure with alter fire order camshafts not too long ago...

I believe the answer is in a combination of things, not one part or the other.

Prove it. Where are all these broken AF cranks? I heard of one and that crank had been beat on for a long time before that so it can't be used as an example.
A billet crank on it's own won't completely eliminate the issue. But a stronger crank can't hurt for resisting the stresses of higher HP and torque.

Also if AF cams don't help then why does all of the testing that had been done point to the AF firing order as being the one that reduces harmonics the most? I have a broken crank. I am convinced it's harmonics based on how I ran the truck, it's power level, the way it broke and the mileage.

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Just called Crower and the crank guy told me they aren't an item that they build and keep on the shelf they have the ability to make them now along with matching rods and price starts around 4000$ stock stroke with a key. Idk if 4k would be worth spending on a crank or not but if it were to help, maybe so, maybe not. That what I'm trying to figure out. Would another 4-5k on a build really help or would it break too? Would it be worth money in the long run?

BobbyBDirtyMax

US Marine Corps Retired
Feb 15, 2013
Madisonville, KY
Prove it. Where are all these broken AF cranks? I heard of one and that crank had been beat on for a long time before that so it can't be used as an example.
A billet crank on it's own won't completely eliminate the issue. But a stronger crank can't hurt for resisting the stresses of higher HP and torque.

Also if AF cams don't help then why does all of the testing that had been done point to the AF firing order as being the one that reduces harmonics the most? I have a broken crank. I am convinced it's harmonics based on how I ran the truck, it's power level, the way it broke and the mileage.

I completely get what your saying but what about trucks that are COMPLETELY stock that have broke cranks? Is that harmonics too. I really wish we all knew but as for my build I am going with an AF cam just looking to tighten up the bottom end more if possible without the fear of breaking. Maybe someone here is running one of these?!? Maybe another brand?!? This stuff expensive and time consuming enough, pulling the engine back out for a broken crank when It could be prevented possibly, screw that with the possibility of tearing up more parts in the process internally.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I believe that in itself proves yes it is harmonics breaking the stock engines with stock tuning. I maybe was running 400hp. And it broke 6hrs into a 10hr drive across the prairies.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
I believe that in itself proves yes it is harmonics breaking the stock engines with stock tuning. I maybe was running 400hp. And it broke 6hrs into a 10hr drive across the prairies.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Lbz or lmm?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
If the Crower crank is truly forged, then it should be significantly stronger than stock.

The factory crank is designed with lifespan and costs as critical, whereas an aftermarket forged race crank is designed with absolute strength as critical.

Billet is weaker than engineered forgings.

Yes, the factory PN is forged, but it's a weaker process than a true forging.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Here's what has always puzzled me about the whole broken crank issue.

They snap clean. When I destroyed gasoline cranks, it was always damage to the journals, or mangled when it broke. Yes iron cranks snap, but it's not clean. Never seen a clean snap on a steel crank until the Duramaxes.

I've damaged a Dmax crank, but it didn't snap. I destroyed a Dmax engine by ripping a piston in two, and stuffing the rod through the block. The crank was not hurt. The Crower rod was barely hurt, but did twist a little. It did not Snap, it Twisted.

What does that say about these failures? A clean snap can only happen if the steel is really hard. Otherwise, it just bends or twists.