LBZ: Needs Some help Looking at Used Trucks

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The balancers can go bad, it's the volcanizing(rubber). A welded pump means probably never needing to change again.
You have to pull balancer to change pump.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

Good to know on the water pump. My co worker had to have his done around 80-100K because it was leaking on his 05 LLY but he had a new GM pump put on.

I just bought an ATI for an LS engine. Not cheap but I know what you mean.

If I can utilize the money else where on a stock rig I would prefer that. I have no problem Buying good parts. I have been looking into some of the replacement suspension stuff as well.

Budneeds2beers

Aka Mike Honcho....
Aug 25, 2016
Cali
I bought my dmax (04.5 CC/LB 4X4 225k mi) for 6k online in Phoenix(sight unseen). I drove out with the girl friend from cali and i had to charge the ac thats it. Best truck ever and runs perfect. You say your going to dd your 1500? Ha. I cant stand driving my tahoe anymore( no turbo ), but like i said it is the best truck and it didnt need not one thing but ive dropped 5k on all types of aftermarket stuff to enhance/delete stuff and it runs great. I get awesome mileage out of it and i cant wait to take my new family out in it. I knew it was going to be an ok perchase cause my father has a stock 05 and the thing runs tops and to be honest he picked up a few miles per gallon when he got closer to 200k. Just stay up on maintenance and listen to what alot of these guys say and you will be fine. GLW perchase

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I bought my dmax (04.5 CC/LB 4X4 225k mi) for 6k online in Phoenix(sight unseen). I drove out with the girl friend from cali and i had to charge the ac thats it. Best truck ever and runs perfect. You say your going to dd your 1500? Ha. I cant stand driving my tahoe anymore( no turbo ), but like i said it is the best truck and it didnt need not one thing but ive dropped 5k on all types of aftermarket stuff to enhance/delete stuff and it runs great. I get awesome mileage out of it and i cant wait to take my new family out in it. I knew it was going to be an ok perchase cause my father has a stock 05 and the thing runs tops and to be honest he picked up a few miles per gallon when he got closer to 200k. Just stay up on maintenance and listen to what alot of these guys say and you will be fine. GLW perchase

Yup, I am really considering the high milage one. I think he has a little room to work on it. It's fully loaded.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
So I looked at an 06 LBZ 3500 today with 260K on the ODO.

Besides the lift kit everything else looks stock.

It has a rattle in the exhaust pipe and the turbo sounded like the vanes were opening and closing. Or possible a valve opening and closing?

Is the Turbo Variable vane on the LBZ?

I see a leak on the Passenger side that I believe is coming from the trans cooler lines?

Looks like there is also a small leak around the hydro boost area.

Is it normal for the turbo to sound like that while idling?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yes, LBZ turbo is variable. Cant help you on the particulars (but one of the guys will soon)

Trans cooler lines are a common problem. Lots of replacements available, though.

Hydroboost needs to be rebuilt. PirateJack.com sells the seals needed. You could upgrade to an '11 LML booster, too.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Yes, LBZ turbo is variable. Cant help you on the particulars (but one of the guys will soon)

Trans cooler lines are a common problem. Lots of replacements available, though.

Hydroboost needs to be rebuilt. PirateJack.com sells the seals needed. You could upgrade to an '11 LML booster, too.

:thumb: Thanks!

What advantage does the 11 LML booster offer? or can you point me to the thread?

The coolant still looks some what reddish pink and smells sweet so I think just the bottle needs to be changed along with a coolant flush. Still has the original Hoses on it too.

At this point I hope some one is able to chime in on the exhaust and the turbo. I think I may pursue this one.

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I had an 06 lbz recently had to replace both steering lines to and from hydro booster.. And no its not normal for turbo to sound like that. Mine was doing that and finally just got a new turbo (3794) from Danville and fixed the problem.

Not sure why it was doing that, and maybe it could be fixed but that's just what I did..

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The Idles seemed normal but it reminded me of an electric cut out. It sounded like the turbo was changing pitch up and down gradually.

Any thought's on the exhaust rattling?

If I hold the end of the pipe with my foot its enough to isolate it so it doesn't rattle.

I was curious if this was a sign of the cat or the muffler possibly plugging up?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The problem is they pressure washed it as typical with used car lots so I am not 100% sure where it's at I just know it's in the general vicinity.

Buddy had a line rub through on his gasser last week.

I don't think seals would be too bad but I would like to know about the 11 LML booster upgrade you spoke of. So far I haven't found anything.

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Trust me, if the current hb has a leak, no amount of pressure washing will hide it. (Same with the trans lines) Just run your hand under the master after driving the truck. If there's fluid, its the seals. Easy, easy fix. Would not be a deal breaker.
LML hb needs one hole drilled in the firewall, but otherwise bolts right in. Guys who have used them say they give better brake feel and response.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
My LMM cycles the turbo vains at idle regularly. AFAIK it's totally normal operation, especially when tuned.

Well, It's certainly possible this has a tune on it. I haven't pulled the tune or hooked a scanner up to it as it still sitting on the lot.

I have no experince with variable vane stuff so I am not sure how it works.

I can only imagine the look on the guy's face if I pulled up with all my stuff and hooked it up to the truck. :roflmao:

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Well, my search has come to an End Today!

I settled on a 2005 LLY 4x4 CCSB. It was a 1 owner truck with 119K and some change on it.

Lots of overpriced JUNK out there!!! This was actually a trade in at a local chevy dealer in my area. Needs a few little things But very minor. Has a few upgrades too.

I will have to get some pictures of it in the next few days

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Nice! If you don't mind me asking what you pick it up for?

I will send you a PM.

Considering it was the only truck actually priced at blue book Suggested asking value, When Everything else was listed at about 2-3K more and sometimes as much as 5K over the Suggested MSRP. Most Lots wouldn't even budge on the asking price either...

This is a 1 Owner with No accident damage unlike some of the ones I looked at, Wasn't lifted Or modified to much... I think I did ok. No After market Stereo Junk. Only a DVD add on with monitors in the head rest. Also the Carfax showed he actually had it dealer serviced for most of the stuff.

Has a K&N CAI, Banks Cat back, Bilstein 5100 series shocks, HID's in the head lights only, light tint on the windows, A new Front Windshield and not the cheap china ones either...

TheBac

Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Congrats on finding one, Brick! Add an LBZ mouthpiece and clean the stack (I/C, rad, A/C)

Dmaxes hold their value, even as they get lots older.

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
glad you found the right truck! Sell the KN and grab yourself and SB or something else. Nothing really wrong with the KN and its already installed so it's a nice extra, but depending on what filter is installed it may not be the best thing to keep on.