My RockCrawler

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Figured I'd start a thread over here instead of cluttering up my turbo one.
Here you go Blk Smoke LB7.
I hope this doesn't bore anybody.

It started off as an 88 chevy suburban, but quickly involved into something I never expected it too.

Specs:
Small Block 350, rebuild 0.040" over
Comp cam
TH350 tranny(built by me)
North west Fab Black box
Dana 300
Dana 60 front(Detroit Truetrac), Dana 70 Rear(Detroit Locker)
Super Swamper Iroks, 42-14/15

Really the only thing left from the suburban is the engine and the main frame. Everything else I came up with was done from scratch, tubing, seat frame, dask, etc.

It's taken me 6-7 years to complete it. Do to not wanting to dumb a ton of money into it at once plus moving for work almost every year doesn't help. I made a push to finish it before we left Kansas City to Canada but didn't quite get it. So the wife and I talked about it and decide to spend the money to get it finished. I brought it to a hot rod shop in Fargo ND where they installed the fuel lines, wiring, steering, and got it running.

I finally got to go home 2 weeks ago, weld on the beadlocks and drive it for the first time in 7+ years. Unfortunately I only got to drive it for a few hours before night came and we had to fly to Omaha the next day for work. One of these days I'll get to play with it :woott:

Which is why I'm taking it easy on what I buy for the pickup, as much as I'd like to mess with the Duramax.:thumb:

I have TON'S of pictures if anybody wants more posted or has questions.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• sub 16.JPG
    sub 16.JPG
    779 KB · Views: 202
  • sub 30.JPG
    sub 30.JPG
    796.9 KB · Views: 195
  • sub 116a.JPG
    sub 116a.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 200
  • sub 227.JPG
    sub 227.JPG
    779.3 KB · Views: 191
  • sub 14.JPG
    sub 14.JPG
    740.5 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_4012.jpg
    IMG_4012.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_4011.jpg
    IMG_4011.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    341.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 189
  • sub 242.JPG
    sub 242.JPG
    771.6 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_4015.jpg
    IMG_4015.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_4021.jpg
    IMG_4021.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_4025.jpg
    IMG_4025.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 238

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
This blows my jeep thread out of the water. LOL. Nice looking rig buddy! Hopefully you feel all that hard work has paid off.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
You're telling me, I started it in college so I usually only got to work on it one day on the weekend so it's hard to get alot done that way. Then being on jobsites the days are long and don't have much time to work on it when you get home late and get up early.

I'm trying to find places to wheel it up here in Canada so I can actually use it as apposed to it sitting in my Dad shop.

The hot rod shop that completed it for me if putting it in a hot rod show back home in Fargo ND at the end of the month. They wanted something different and I figured it was perfect time being it's still new and nothing smashed up yet, haha:D:thumb:

Thanks for the complements guys, I appreciate it.
Yellowchevy

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
That reminds me of my old crawler. I started with a k5 blazer. Then it got cut up, and was going to put a 6bt in it. So I started from scratch for the new one.

New one is full tube chassis, four link front and rear, d60, 14b, vw 1.9 td, toy trans with dual cases.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331133839.273513.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331133839.273513.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 130

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
That reminds me of my old crawler. I started with a k5 blazer. Then it got cut up, and was going to put a 6bt in it. So I started from scratch for the new one.

New one is full tube chassis, four link front and rear, d60, 14b, vw 1.9 td, toy trans with dual cases.

Very nice work. :thumb::thumb:
I wished I'd have thrown away the stock frame and started with rectangular tubing as the base, it would have been easier because I'd have something better to work off of.

Are you done with yours? If so how does it drive?

Yellowchevy

Trevor79

Feb 20, 2012
I just need to plump, wire, and do some small things. Just got new Pitbull rockers for it. I'm getting back on it next week, other things in life took over for a bit.

I have pics of my old one on my computer. If you have anything you want to know about the stock setups just let me know. I'm sure you already platted the frame where it needs.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I just need to plump, wire, and do some small things. Just got new Pitbull rockers for it. I'm getting back on it next week, other things in life took over for a bit.

I have pics of my old one on my computer. If you have anything you want to know about the stock setups just let me know. I'm sure you already platted the frame where it needs.

I like the Pitbull tires. If I hadn't already bought my Iroks I would have gotten Pitbull's. Those little things were killing me, I'd go one direction then switch and go another, haha.
I know how life gets in the way, that's why it took me 7 years for mine, work kept me late everything day and moving what seemed like everything didn't help things. :(
The next one I build I'm going to do ALOT more pre-planning before I every start it so it doesn't take so long.

The only place I reinforced it was where I cut 18" out of the middle of the frame and welded it back together. Other than that my tube work ties everything together.

Keep at it, I know the small things seem to pull you down.

Yellowchevy

BenFoo

Dually
Nov 27, 2011
Philadelphia
Any good wheelin spots near you? We need some action pics stat.

I have a built Scrambler that i do some crawlin with. The pitbull rockers work well in the northeast.

62e1aa5f-21eb-c316.jpg

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Any good wheelin spots near you? We need some action pics stat.

I have a built Scrambler that i do some crawlin with. The pitbull rockers work well in the northeast.

62e1aa5f-21eb-c316.jpg

Nice set up. I had a CJ7 before that I should have keep, I had ALOT of fun with it and didn't do anything to it.
I just finished mine 2 weeks ago and it's at my parents house back in ND, my wife and I are currently in North Battleford Saskatchewan. I'm hoping to find places to wheel it up here so I can use it and have some fun for once. I've never gone wheeling in ND besides muddy field and creeks with other vehicles I've had before.
The only action pictures I have are flexing it out on the cyclone cone in the first post I put up. :D

yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Blk Smoke LB7
Hopefully I can find some places to go around me then I will for sure get some good action shots. I'm thinking if I can find places to go I'll bring it up here sometime in May.
MWDHAND
I've read of some good places north of Calgary I'm hoping to go to. Some of my friends work for the same company are in Calgary on a job site so I'll be able to see them and do some wheeling.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Well it's not shot's of the trail but still looks good.

The Hot Rod Shop that finished it for me asked if I wanted to put it in the car show this weekend a few months back being it's still nice and new I figured it was a perfect time.

Here are a few pictures of the display that my parents put together with cardboard and wood. It's kind of cluttered but I think it turned out really good.
Hope you guys enjoy.
I'm almost 6ft for reference of how tall it is.

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• Trailering.jpg
    Trailering.jpg
    640 KB · Views: 85
  • Side 1.jpg
    Side 1.jpg
    494.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Side 2.jpg
    Side 2.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Side 3.jpg