My Luck

06CCDMAX

More power
Dec 22, 2011
409 will surface rust. You posted up a thread about seeing surface rust on a 409 exhaust system, during salt season. I don't see what's not to get here. Surface rust happens. If it rusts through I get being upset. Not over that. But what do I know, not that I've shelled out that kinda money on exhaust before. :rolleyes:

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Said pride got you those Husker promotions?
:hug:
Looked to me you were taking a poke at another memeber.

As far as 409 vs 304 the only high end exhaust i have seen last and stay looking like brushed stainless is the banks.I have 409 and if i had the chance to do over i would either pony up the cash for the banks or most likely just go with the aluminized.JMO

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Looked to me you were taking a poke at another memeber.

As far as 409 vs 304 the only high end exhaust i have seen last and stay looking like brushed stainless is the banks.I have 409 and if i had the chance to do over i would either pony up the cash for the banks or most likely just go with the aluminized.JMO

Ya. Might just have to throw a ugly tip on it. Sucks cause the pieces that lead up to it look great. You can see the differance in the muffler delete pipe and the tailpipe. Oh well. Good part is I got a lot done on the Lb7 tonight.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Me? :angel: I'd never bust balls. :roflmao:

And you get it. I'll look into Banks as I'm doing 304. But just shelled out a G for 304 SS exhaust for the bike.
Most guys will make friends and then bust their friends balls,this way doesnt make friends and comes across offencive.There are alot of knowledgable people here to help out and give their take on things,maybe you dont need help,thats cool.No harm done i guess.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Ya. Might just have to throw a ugly tip on it. Sucks cause the pieces that lead up to it look great. You can see the differance in the muffler delete pipe and the tailpipe. Oh well. Good part is I got a lot done on the Lb7 tonight.
I just have the ugly old 4 inch pipe out there and now with the twins its so quiet,kind of like a sleeper lol.Makes me want to throw my stock hood back on.Theres a Chrysler factory in my town and theres alot of Cummins running around here and i like to make them look bad lol.I am also about 30 miles from D max tuner and Dans diesel.:D

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Most guys will make friends and then bust their friends balls,this way doesnt make friends and comes across offencive.There are alot of knowledgable people here to help out and give their take on things,maybe you dont need help,thats cool.No harm done i guess.

Why are you being such a dick to this poor innocent guy:confused::D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I don't know the story about why some of you are having problems with each other, but everyone needs to knock it off. If you don't have anything USEFUL to add, don't bother posting. The next person to post something in here that isn't helpful will get a vacation!

bevi

Jan 17, 2010
Nh
wow whats everyones problem? the guy asked a simple question answer it or dont say anything.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I don't know the story about why some of you are having problems with each other, but everyone needs to knock it off. If you don't have anything USEFUL to add, don't bother posting. The next person to post something in here that isn't helpful will get a vacation!

X2... the lame comebacks/insults can stay on DF... ;)

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
Well THAT was entertaining to get thru 50 posts... Not.
When I was ready to put the 409 Diamond Eye on, I knew it would be spending time in the Northern Il salt spray environment so I polished the whole exit end in progressively finer grit. Now it gets some surface rust (including the weld of course) but it cleans right up quickly with some mildly abrasive polish of most any sort. Here's what it went on looking like.

Attachments

• DE4in.jpg
    DE4in.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 30

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah
Here is a pic from a few months ago. 304 does rust some

IMAG0273.jpg

Won't stainless rust on the surface but not all the way through?

You think you could just brush most of that off or no?

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
Yeah I'm sure I could clean it up a little, and it shouldn't ever rust all the way off. I don't care about the little bit of rust I was just showing him for a reference.

Gp184

Coonass and proud!
Nov 24, 2011
Reserve, La.
Yeah I'm sure I could clean it up a little, and it shouldn't ever rust all the way off. I don't care about the little bit of rust I was just showing him for a reference.

Hence the reason we said he is worried about nothing. Hell, if you want shiny exhaust, get it chromed.

Sent from my droid bionic while driving through your yard, smashing your cute little kittens.

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Funny you act like you actually give a crap. You might have a soul after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually don't care that he was giving the other guy s*** for not being helpful, I was just taking a friendly poke at blk smk lb7. But I do care that the OP spent good money on an exhaust and it rusted in less than a month, that sucks and I'd be upset as well. But Josh H and Bryan are right about all the bickering and bs ing that's been going on here lately. I know I'm guilty of being sucked into it as much as anyone else, but it does need to stop. The reason this forum is the best is because its way more of a tech forum than any of the others and has more of a community feel between the members, but if it keeps up the way it has been then it won't be anymore and I don't want to see that happen. So from here on out you will not see me participating in petty arguements and I hope others will do the same.

dmax_ty

Aug 18, 2011
Utah

That's what I figured. If it bothered you enough you could slick it up some.

I'm surprised at how well my aluminized kit has held up in Utah's winters.

RitzBlitz

May 20, 2010
Ritzville, Wa
Mine did the same. Simple metallurgy, the seem is gonna rust first. Not gonna get much worse other than a little more surface rust. It's exponentially decreasing, not gonna rust at that rate forever. I'd take a pic but the truck is filthy right now, can't tell much. Paint it, get a 304 kit, or live with it. That's just how 409 is going to be. I've had mine for about 5 years now and it isn't much worse than it was after 3 months.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
This is my issue. This is straight from there site. The rust is all the way down the seam. I understand what you guys are saying about the surface rust but the part I care about is the actual rust down the whole seem. So before you keep knocking me and keep talking crap read this.

The Best Systems Start With the Best Materials
Built from heavy duty T-409 stainless steel our SLM Series stainless performance exhaust systems offer a value price without compromising on the quality built into every component. While the seams are a major point of rust through with some budget systems our fully sealed tubing adds years to your system. Constructed to the same specifications as our top of the line Pro Series we back this line with an industry leading 5 Year Warranty.