My fuel tank is NOT 26 gallons

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Ben,

I have a Socal Billet Pickup and the 5/8" hose with the -10 kit in my 2002, I can run it down to 1 gallon and be fine.

My 2007 with a drilled cup, AD-165 can run down to 1 gallon as well without issue and it's a long tank.

If you screw up your stock 26 gallon tank I have a spare you can have......you can also do a mad scientist test to see how many gallons it actually holds.

:hug:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Thanks tony! Ill let you know if I mess up my tank. Measure zero times cut once is my style, you know that. :D

Im trying to decide whether to do a sump or a 'billet' socal/kennedy pickup......pro's/cons vs each? Is a sump really that much more capacious than a 'billet' pickup?

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Ben,

I have a Socal Billet Pickup and the 5/8" hose with the -10 kit in my 2002, I can run it down to 1 gallon and be fine.

My 2007 with a drilled cup, AD-165 can run down to 1 gallon as well without issue and it's a long tank.

If you screw up your stock 26 gallon tank I have a spare you can have......you can also do a mad scientist test to see how many gallons it actually holds.

:hug:

I have the same kit in mine and can't run it below the top of the cup...

Kartmnn

Oct 27, 2011
East Providence RI
Why are the tanks so small to begin with? Towing getting less then 10mpg but I have to stop every 200 miles for fuel? My wifes nox has more then a 20 gallon tank but at 26 im out? Was this truck not built to tow...

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
With diesel at $4.xx a gallon, I'm not sure why you would want to be able to put anymore than 20 gallons in a truck anyways. I've never run my old LLY or LMM out of fuel but even running them to the point where the gauge needle doesnt move at all at key on, I've never been able to put more than 19 gallons in at the most.

When I head out west for hunting, I'd run the truck as low as my bladder would let me at 77-80 mph, 16-17 gallons at every fill up was the norm, my small tank is perfectly suited to me, but these $70-80 fill ups with a small tank are really taking some getting used too. If diesel doesnt come down, high fuel might actually save me a few grand, but keep me from going to Utah.

Lparrill

And here we go again
Jul 30, 2010
Lander, WY
Know what you mean. I've never ever put more than 22 gallons in my 05 CCSB (with low fuel light on wanting to die). When that low fuel light comes on you might have 10 miles if you're lucky. Just yesterday I put 24.5 gallons in my wife's 04 LB7 ECSB and drove it 40 miles with low fuel light on till I reached a fuel station. I just though it had to do with CCSB vs. ECSB. Guess I was wrong

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Is this only with the small tank?? I've never had an issue with my large one in my ECLB (34 gallons I believe) Have ran about 40miles with the light on and I can hit almost 33 gallons when I fill it up. Only issue Ive ran into was the fuel level float disintegrated and fell off the rod. Went to put another float on and realized the electrical fingers on the sensor were also about burnt off.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Same issue on my 05. Never put more than 22.5 gallons in, truck runs out of fuel with 1/8 tank showing on the guage.

Jscherbs

PIN IT TO WIN IT!!!
Oct 27, 2009
Canton, MI
alright good so its not just me.

Maybe ill put one of those sumps on my tank. Its gonna be hard to cut into the bottom of my tank though. And im paranoid Ill hit the sump on something and knock/break it off...

i plan on doing a sump as well but for differnt reasoning. my fuel guage gets almost to the red and it will run out. similar to yours as it runs out right as the light comes on. however i do get to put 26 gallons in when i fill up.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
i plan on doing a sump as well but for differnt reasoning. my fuel guage gets almost to the red and it will run out. similar to yours as it runs out right as the light comes on. however i do get to put 26 gallons in when i fill up.

You know you can rescale the fuel level gauge

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Atouchofgrass

Jun 19, 2010
CT
Only reason i love sump's are because they're gravity fed (obviously). Less stress on the lift pump and less time travel on the fuel (depending on where your LP is). Guess we'll see when i go for the install. :thumb:

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
My AD-165 returns the fuel to the cup, not the filler neck.

My cup never runs dry even at low fuel levels in the tank.

Doesn't the OE sender return to the cup? Only a single Kennedy for me.

I'm going to be replacing my supertank here pretty soon, so I will have to take a closer look at the suction line I made when installing the SoCal pick up. Although, it worked just fine for years this way..

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
One thing I've noticed is the "lag" of the guage.
I know in my older cars and trucks if you had less than half a tank and got the fuel to sloshing, you could actually watch the needle on the guage move as the sending units float moved up and down with the sloshing fuel.

On this truck it's as if it's buffered in the BCM (or whatever module controls fuel level).

One easy way to test it is to refuel from close to empty when the truck is running. I can top it off until it can't take a drop more, drive for 10-15 minutes and it's still not "Full" on the guage. All it takes is to turn the key to off for a split second (yes even while driving) and back on and it will give you a "true" reading of full.

Another example is last night (it was a late one :alc:), and I did not have time to refuel on the way home (and was low but not at the low fuel light). I parked the truck nose down and when I started it this morning the low fuel light was on. I drove to work 22 miles (obviously using fuel) and just before I got to work the low fuel light went OUT as the guage felt it was no longer low on fuel (and didn't run out of fuel). I'm running a Kennedy dual pump and fuel pick up mod on my 06 LBZ for reference.

I'm wondering if what some guys are experiencing (running for several miles with the low fuel light on one time and then running out of fuel before it turns on the next, is due to the "lag").

As for Ben's issue, I did some research and it looks like the tanks have not changed over the years, so it should be the same capacity as everyone else. If he's not able to utilize as much fuel, I would say there is an issue with his fuel pickup. It could be cracked supply hose (a couple of inches up), or the fuel system and "cup" is not keeping fuel around the pickup tube (aeration), or both.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I did end up putting fuel in it yesterday afternoon and put in 22.7 gals according to the pump. I'm "guessing" I could have used another 1-3 gallons before being stranded....

I've actually had the truck buck and studder before when low on fuel and hammering the throttle. If I slowed down and feathered the skinny pedal I could get to nearby fuel station with no furthur "hickups" and I was not at that point yet.

I'm thinking that as fuel gets low (after 20 gals in a 26 gal tank), the fuel must get aerated to an extent. The stock pickup assembly tries to keep fuel around the pickup but as you've seen when filling your truck, it gets foamy pretty easy. I'm wondering if some trucks (whether it be filters or air/water seperators) work better than others at keeping the air out of the fuel.

So it wouldn't be as much if fuel was available but the amount of air in it (which if a pickup tube was damaged/cut would be a contributing factor).

Sorry, just rambling......(no sleep)

jc1843

Sep 27, 2009
So Calf
You can re-scale the fuel,gauge in EFI, also change the tank size.

To rescale- you just change the resistance in volts on a graph scale. I downloaded a free demo and played with it. Found out how to do ity in a few minutes and never used EFI before. Of course on the demo [don't have EFI], you cannot save it. :rolleyes: