My fuel tank is NOT 26 gallons

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I have had the same problem since day one with my truck... I have ran it out 5 times, twice was with stock pickup and no lift pump, put 22.1 and 21.8 gallons in it, fuel light came on just before it died and just after it died the other.

Ran it out once with a PPE lift pump, put 22.8 gallons in it.

Then put a pickup tube and and a FASS on it, ran out twice with no light, dumped a 5 gallon can in both times and put 17.? gallons in at station both times.

I want to put a dyno on it? Who makes them? Herman, anyone else cheaper?

DBUSHLB7

Team DMAX
Mar 9, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
Well maybe old tanks are funny. Because mine will hold 26 gallons, with a 6 gallon reserve.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

For whatever reason, mine also will hold a 25+gallon fill up when the low fuel light is not yet on. Got 26 in there once but the fill neck was plum full and the fuel was near the cap lol.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
My truck used to do the same thing. I would run out of fuel, and as I coasted to the side of the road, the truck would helpfully ding and say "FUEL LEVEL LOW". Never once did it warn me BEFORE the engine had already died. :confused:

I suspected an air leak in the hose going to the basket, but I didn't realize it was plastic. The plastic hose having a split makes sense. Since I was (and still am) too lazy to drop the tank, I just rescaled the fuel gauge with EFILive:

I pumped my tank completely "empty" with my AirDog into a bunch of 5-gallon cans (as empty as I can get it, turns out about 4 gallons left). Then, I added 2 gallons (for safety/paranoia), and looked at that sender unit voltage and set it as empty in EFILive. From there on, I poured 1 gallon at a time back in, and scaled linearly in between those values. Worked pretty well, my fuel gauge behaves normally and is pretty linear. I now get a low fuel warning with probably 50 miles left to drive; plenty of time to get to a station. If I were to do it again, I would probably pour in 1/2 gallon at a time for the first and last 5 gallons. That, or simply subtract 6 gallons from the entire table. Don't know why that didn't occur to me :spit:

Since the rescale, the most I have ever put in to my tank is just shy of 20 gallons. I wonder if the hoses all split at the same spot?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I did a pick up over a sump because I was worried about the line not so much the sump. We drive around pretty rough job sites and me and one of the other supers both damaged our fuel cooler on ours dmaxs. I don't think you could tear the sump off with out damaging the tank if you didn't have one. Then there is a lot of fuel line that can't really be secured running under the tank to the sump in the middle.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Bumping this back up me and my brother both have ling beds they will both only hold around 25 gallons. So there's like say 7 to 9 more gallons in that thing? My fuel light came on at like 360 miles wich I run it pretty hard buy if I have a 34 gallon tank and it only holds 25 wtf lol. Is there a rescale or fix anyone has found that worked?

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Bumping this back up me and my brother both have ling beds they will both only hold around 25 gallons. So there's like say 7 to 9 more gallons in that thing? My fuel light came on at like 360 miles wich I run it pretty hard buy if I have a 34 gallon tank and it only holds 25 wtf lol. Is there a rescale or fix anyone has found that worked?

I rescaled that thing to match the oe file I pulled out of it. I think I put 26 or 27 in it one day. But I never ran it to the light

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
I rescaled that thing to match the oe file I pulled out of it. I think I put 26 or 27 in it one day. But I never ran it to the light

I hit the light last night but then it was off again this morning, but I didn't fill it up because the races are tonight. So i didn't want it completely full. I'll see what it does next fill up.