My fuel tank is NOT 26 gallons

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
I put 34.5 gallons last week. I've never run out of gas yet. I can run aboot 80 miles after the low fuel light comes on. I do this on a regular basis so I know how much fuel I have, bur like I said I've never run out of fuel so I really don't know how far I can go

01LB7

Feb 18, 2010
Missouri
Mine does it too, when it says 34 miles to E you better be at a pump or pulling over cause you're not gonna be driving anymore.

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
Ben with my 02 the first 2 years I had it I could go safely 25 miles after fuel light and put in anywhere from 22-24 gallons (put in as much as 25 once) and then randomly one day I ran out and light hadnt even come on, happened two more times after that and from then on i would just fill at 1/4 tanks.

this 04 lly the light seems reliable... i only end up putting in 22 or so with the light on.

Sledheadxp800r

That was only my tow tune
Dec 13, 2010
CT
I have a 26 gallon tank and I always fill it when it gets to 1/4 tank. it usually takes 19-20 gallons to fill.

Last edited:

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
I pulled the factory vent out of my LB7 and put in my own vent system similar to the newer trucks. I have put 28+ gal in it a few times and it was still running. I also run a draw straw in the tank and return into the factory bowl. I need to do it on my 04 because it does not hold nearly as much fuel.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
stock factory-original fuel pickup. 175k miles on the truck. Never had the tank out of the truck or anything.

I suppose I could probably answer my own question by dropping the tank, but like I said I really dont have the time to mess around with my own truck. I was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Ben my truck has done the same thing to me twice and I have no idea why. I have never been able to put more than 23 gallons into it. I have a digital fuel gauge that seems to be pretty accurate and my low fuel light comes on typically around 7-8% fuel remaining. I cant explain the two random times where my truck gave up quietly with no low fuel light.

B-Dawg2

May 4, 2008
Utah
When the low fuel light came on in my 2003 I was pretty much screwed, as I had 5 miles or less. I ran it out of fuel twice, both times coincidentally and luckily pulling into a gas station. I don't recall how how many gallons topped it off, however.

I do know that when the light in my 2007 comes on, it will only take 19-20 gallons to fill it.

Interesting.

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
On my 06 cc, lb, dually it has a 34 gal tank, when I first got it new, the low fuel light would come on and it would hold 29-30 gal, now 6 years old the low fuel light comes on and it will hold 26-27 gal. At 1/4 tank it will hold 20 gal. I know it isn't accurate, but it bothers me to only see 400 miles between fillups after the first tank I got 635 miles out of.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
That stuff is weird forsure. There is two different problems in this thread, we kinda got side tracked. duratothemax seems like he has some type blockage in his tank causing less usable volume (probably concrete lol), or a shortened pickup. Everyone else's gauges are just reading wrong.

RKTMech

Idiot with a wrench
Aug 18, 2008
The Norco's
That stuff is weird forsure. There is two different problems in this thread, we kinda got side tracked. duratothemax seems like he has some type blockage in his tank causing less usable volume (probably concrete lol), or a shortened pickup. Everyone else's gauges are just reading wrong.

X2 There are no compartments or real baffling in these fuel tanks, and yes GM fuel pick-ups and sending units suck ballz! He has to have a pick up issue in the tank, dont think they made smaller tanks and some got put on these trucks....sorry your having this persistent issue.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
alright good so its not just me.

Maybe ill put one of those sumps on my tank. Its gonna be hard to cut into the bottom of my tank though. And im paranoid Ill hit the sump on something and knock/break it off...

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
Before you put a sump in the tank, drop the tank and rebuild the pickup assembly. There are no tank baffles but the pickup has its own bowl assembly with a one way valve in it.

I would be prepared to rebuild the pickup as it sounds like you have a cracked pickup tube. The tube is a plastic corriguated tube and could crack easily in one of the corriguations. Replace the tube with fuel rated hose and a small loop as the pickup basket is spring loaded and actually presses against the bottom of the tank to allow for flex in the bottom of the tank.

I have a lift pump with no issues. Have put over 24 gallons in the tank before and never ran out of fuel or lost supply pressure. Supply pressure has dropped slightly, but was still there under WOT and over 10 psi.

Try the PPE pickup instructions. That is where this picture came from. You can see the pickup and return tubes.

Attachments

• pickup.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Before you put a sump in the tank, drop the tank and rebuild the pickup assembly. There are no tank baffles but the pickup has its own bowl assembly with a one way valve in it.

I would be prepared to rebuild the pickup as it sounds like you have a cracked pickup tube. The tube is a plastic corriguated tube and could crack easily in one of the corriguations. Replace the tube with fuel rated hose and a small loop as the pickup basket is spring loaded and actually presses against the bottom of the tank to allow for flex in the bottom of the tank.

Ahhh you know what...I think you might be onto something. That is a very good idea and definitely sounds plausible as to what is happening...makes sense, a small crack in the pickup tube above the bottom of the tank...because when I run out of fuel, its always when im going up a long hill (so therefore, if the pickup tube was cracked, all of the fuel sloshing to the rear of the tank would expose the higher-up cracked portion to air before it exposed the bottom of the actual pickup to air)

kjp800

-
Aug 6, 2008
New Jersey
I've had the same problem as you Ben since I got my truck, at most it would take 22 gallons. I sumped the tank last year and the one thing I noticed was I can drive with the light on a lot longer than i could before. Can't remember the mileage off my head tho. When I did the sump I ran it what I thought was damn near out of fuel before I dropped the tank and it still had ~5 gallons in it when I drained it. I also checked the stock setup and there was no issues with it at all, other than it sits up IMO too high from the bottom of the tank. I haven't ran it out of fuel so im not sure what it will take too fill it from e, I may have to go try it.:confused:

Alliance1289

Apr 26, 2011
I put 24.2 gallons in my truck this morning. I've been getting around 500 miles per tank on the interstate (cruise set at 70-72 mph)

I've been noticing that my low fuel light has been slacking lately as well. I have ran out of fuel 3 times in my truck. The first time the low fuel light came on before I ran out and the other 2 I ran out then it came on. Im going to be dropping the tank here in a few weeks and plan on experimenting with its actual capacity.

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
It's kinda like when the funny guy at the shop cuts a slit in your straw from lunch. :spit:

Both my 06 and 07 can go at least 80 miles after the low fuel light comes on, I haven't dared going further though. At 80 miles after the light comes on The most fuel I've put in was 24.5 gallons.

06 has 107k miles
07 has 23k miles

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When my light comes on, i have 5 gal left (least what i think). been that way since new in 01. if i fill up right as the light comes on, its 29.5 gal. Most ive ever put in is 34.5 gal and i thought i was gunna run out though the truck never hiccuped. I put a PPE pick up in the truck about two years ago and it never affected what i could get out of the bottom of my tank. i had jsut put 34 gal in a few weeks before rods got shorter

Odyssey25013

DF Regect
Nov 9, 2010
CT
alright good so its not just me.

Maybe ill put one of those sumps on my tank. Its gonna be hard to cut into the bottom of my tank though. And im paranoid Ill hit the sump on something and knock/break it off...

Look on the floor over by the trans station/plasma cutter. My old pickup is over there. You would just need to find a grommet to fit it. Should be the same length or you would need to cut it shorter. You have the big ratchets now and we already picked my bed off. I'll be back in 2 weeks. I can come up then and help you out.