My 05 RCLB build

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I'm not sure if I should really be calling this a build or if rebuild would be the proper term but I'm starting a thread none the less. I picked up a 2005 GMC 2500HD RCLB W/T 4x4 with 202k on it last night. Truck was owned by a construction company in New York and is anything but perfect. Hood tailgate and rear bumper are damaged, paint has been covered in decals and clearcoated over at some point, the undercarriage has been coated but still has plenty of salt belt rust, and the interior smells like a farm with the typical driver seat rip. At first glance the motor needs a glow plug module, at least 1 injector(#8 has a balance rate of 6), and it is burning coolant or leaking it somehwere. With all that being said, I paid $3500 for it and it still runs and drives well. I think I got Myself a deal.

Over the next few months I'm going to address the above issues as well as putting some spare parts from my truck into the mix. I have an All Seasons EGR delete, AFE mouthpiece, HSP intake, AFE intercooler tubes, downpipe, converter, and my 33s on KMC addicts sitting ready to go in the truck. I figure I will throw a small tune at it and just use it as a daily driver to keep miles off my truck. If the motor turns out to be healthy I might also make a few workstock pulls since my truck doesn't really fit into a class anymore.

Attachments

• RCLB1.JPG
    RCLB1.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 102
  • RCLB2.JPG
    RCLB2.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 81
  • RCLB3.JPG
    RCLB3.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 82
  • RCLB4.JPG
    RCLB4.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 81
  • RCLB5.JPG
    RCLB5.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 71

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
PS the pictures make the truck look a lot better than it really is. I think once the mechanical stuff is taken care of, I will have the entire body plastidipped either flat white or a flat tan. Sould cover up some of the imperfections and will be a whole lot more budget friendly than body work and paint. I'd leave the fender flares and wheels black and plastidip the grill black.

SteveLBZ06

Jan 6, 2013
Central MA
It definitely has a lot of "character" but for that price you really can't go wrong and it'll be nice to not feel bad driving it through the winters here. Nice find.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Already purchased 2 injectors and a glow plug module from the garage sale section here! I love this place because it saves me a ton of money on parts. I hate it because if it didn't exist I;d have an edge tuner and exhaust and be happy as a clam lol

TLyons90

Apr 22, 2013
Greenville, SC
Congrats man! Def got a good deal! I am hoping to have my own RC/LB here in the next month fingers crossed if everything goes accordingly!

03spoolindmax

Nov 9, 2011
Mi
I picked up a 2005 GMC 2500HD RCLB W/T 4x4 with 202k on it last night. I paid $3500 for it and it still runs

Well thanks for making me feel good. I paid $12000 for my 05 with 197 but the guy did put a new bed on it and got it painted for me. Has not rust on the rockers. It was cleaner than my 03

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
Well thanks for making me feel good. I paid $12000 for my 05 with 197 but the guy did put a new bed on it and got it painted for me. Has not rust on the rockers. It was cleaner than my 03

I also get jealous reading about these cheap ones. I have SC/LB envy.

I did pick up a CC/SB ZF6 for $2000 recently, so I guess I have cashed out my craigslist karma for a while. :rofl:

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
I also get jealous reading about these cheap ones. I have SC/LB envy.

I did pick up a CC/SB ZF6 for $2000 recently, so I guess I have cashed out my craigslist karma for a while. :rofl:
I would have killed to find a cheap crew cab stick truck for that kind of money! I could get rid of your rclb envy if you want to trade????

Mile_high

The Mad Hatter
Oct 31, 2009
Denver, Colorado
I would have killed to find a cheap crew cab stick truck for that kind of money! I could get rid of your rclb envy if you want to trade????

I sold both of my zf6 trucks in the last couple months. One was listed on here actually. I got sick of replacing clutches; the idiots that work for me beat the piss out of manual trans equipped trucks. At the price I had on the one listed on here, I was surprised it sold through a local ad and not to someone on here.

The $2000 truck was a weird deal; I purchased it sight unseen and was told it was a total piece of trash. I wanted it for parts. When I got it, it had a 8/10 cloth interior (smelled like a barnyard and Copenhagen like yours) and a straight body. After screwing around with it for a while I figured out it needed a FICM, one injector, and a glow plug module. A few hundred bucks later we had a complete truck. I then punted that pig and purchased a new trencher.

Last edited:

Xternal

Aug 31, 2012
Nice buy,I love my rclb zf6. Wish it was an automatic for racing reasons but there are few fast manuals to compete with so that's an advantage. Either way hope it turns out nice

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
Couple questions. Will seats and a console from an 01 bolt right in?? and if the current seats are not power. How do I go about getting power heated seats to work?