Motor swap, need ideas

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You could use a 200-4R transmission. They are the same length as a TH350, overdrive, and were used in several different applications for about 10 years.

oh really?! what are they out of? this could get interesting

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Buick Grand National, Corvettes, and GM B-body cars to name a few. I'm sure there are more, but that's what I could find doing a quick search.

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
The 200r4 is very common behind the v6 and some v8 gm g-body cars. Which include 78-87 monte Carlo,Olds Cutlsss,Buick Regal,Pontiac Grand Prix. :thumb:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I still like the vw route james. If parts are kinda obscure & spendy down there, we have a vw outlet up here called bow wow, i think they are down there too, do you know of it? They have all kinds of vw everything. Pretty cheap too. Plus i have a few peeps in the euro crowd, i could poke around for an engine if ya like. Another outfit up here in the nw is olympic 4x4. They specialize in jeep stuff, but there was a guy while back that was turnin out some samurai's, mighta had a 4.0 I6 tho.

ku 808

Sep 6, 2010
put a Toyota 22ret that little motor can take more abuse then most v8 or v6 not all that powerfull but bad to the bone
:thumb:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Buick Grand National, Corvettes, and GM B-body cars to name a few. I'm sure there are more, but that's what I could find doing a quick search.

The 200r4 is very common behind the v6 and some v8 gm g-body cars. Which include 78-87 monte Carlo,Olds Cutlsss,Buick Regal,Pontiac Grand Prix. :thumb:

Ah thanks guys. Time to get some measurments.

I still like the vw route james. If parts are kinda obscure & spendy down there, we have a vw outlet up here called bow wow, i think they are down there too, do you know of it? They have all kinds of vw everything. Pretty cheap too. Plus i have a few peeps in the euro crowd, i could poke around for an engine if ya like. Another outfit up here in the nw is olympic 4x4. They specialize in jeep stuff, but there was a guy while back that was turnin out some samurai's, mighta had a 4.0 I6 tho.

The problem with the 1.9/1.6 vw motor is there isnt an auto i know that will bolt to it so im stuck with the manual. I really want an auto for crawlin, seems so many times i cant slip the clutch enough even with a 125:1 crawl ratio to keep traction and get over an obstical.

put a Toyota 22ret that little motor can take more abuse then most v8 or v6 not all that powerfull but bad to the bone
:thumb:

they make a bolt in cradle for a 22re but im a fan of bein different on little projects like these. We had a little discussion on the suzuki board a little while ago about the next motor type swap. The Ecotec motor came up but was shot down cause those guys hate wiring and dont understand what EFI Live can do. But im likin this I5

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Please! i need front to back (bell housing back to end of tailshaft), widest point at top/middle of trans (ncluding shift linkage if it sticks out there), widest points at the trans pan, and Trans height from middle of the trans as well as the bellhousing hieght at the front if any of that makes sense. :D

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
Ever think of a maybe a 3cyl. Kubota or something of the like it would be lite enough but would probably need some pump work to get you where you want to be going down the road. Something different than the norm.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ever think of a maybe a 3cyl. Kubota or something of the like it would be lite enough but would probably need some pump work to get you where you want to be going down the road. Something different than the norm.

yup, thought about that. problem is, no trans will work and i dont have the equipment nor do i want to spend the cash for a one off adaptor.

ImpalaMax

Apr 4, 2011
Safford AZ
Please! i need front to back (bell housing back to end of tailshaft)27 1/4"
widest point at top/middle of trans8"
(ncluding shift linkage if it sticks out there)10 1/2", widest points at the trans pan11" but 13 1/2" total width including linkage,
and Trans height from middle of the trans11"
as well as the bellhousing hieght at the front 13" from top of bell to bottom of pan
if any of that makes sense. :D

Hope it helps.