Motor swap, need ideas

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So ive been wanting to do a motor swap in my samurai, specially since the dmax is back up and runnin. Shes got a rebuilt 1.3 in her thats bored .040 over and has a torquer cam (funny when the torque comes on at 3500rpm lol). she does well for pushin the little brick through the air in town (can cruise 70 all day) but try to take it out of town for some trails and 65mph is about all you get at WOT. power just aint there :roflmao:.

So im gunna do a motor swap. common swap to do is a 1.6l 8 valve as its damn near bolt in but i gain 15hp. the next step up is a 1.6l 16valve, is multiport injection and tunable with a 40hp increase over mine currently. the 16v is the way i wanted to go but im really wanting to put a diesel in this thing. i also will be putting a 4 speed auto in it as well

Question is, other than a vw 1.9/1.6 turboed motor, what other little diesels are out there i could put in this thing that are semi readily availible? id prefer mechanical injection for simplicity. the vw stuff is way over priced too, blown up motors go for 1500+ bucks! and 4bt is too heavy for the zuk lol

dbenenh0

May 17, 2009
Midland, NC
I like the vw idea. My uncle took a vw motor, took all the electronics off of it, bigger turbo injectors etc. and put it in this little race car he has. Its a pretty sweet little motor. I really want one for my s-10.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
There are a few ideas or options. Depends what u wanna run and spend tranny wise and so on. I have a 94 tracker that im pullin apart. im Doin a sas with coils and either a 3.8l gtp or a 4.3l. Im really leaning towards the 3.8 gtp cause i have a guy close to me that builds mini monster trucks from scratch, exact same set-up big trucks run, and he uses the 3.8l gtp. He gets 300-330hp out it. 300+hp would really liven up a sami/tracker. Lol we are is process of building suspension right now.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
Set up will be 84 4runner axles, dual cases, stretched wb, coils, 35s and tryin to figure trans and motor out, most likly the 3.8 tho. Night stalkers enterprizes is who im talkin about on building mini monster trucks. Steve the owner builds the shocks that grave digger uses. Hes helpin me on my tracker.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There are a few ideas or options. Depends what u wanna run and spend tranny wise and so on. I have a 94 tracker that im pullin apart. im Doin a sas with coils and either a 3.8l gtp or a 4.3l. Im really leaning towards the 3.8 gtp cause i have a guy close to me that builds mini monster trucks from scratch, exact same set-up big trucks run, and he uses the 3.8l gtp. He gets 300-330hp out it. 300+hp would really liven up a sami/tracker. Lol we are is process of building suspension right now.

Set up will be 84 4runner axles, dual cases, stretched wb, coils, 35s and tryin to figure trans and motor out, most likly the 3.8 tho. Night stalkers enterprizes is who im talkin about on building mini monster trucks. Steve the owner builds the shocks that grave digger uses. Hes helpin me on my tracker.

yeah thats another route i just dont care to go for. my rig wont be streched, i want to keep the stock sami t-case setup for now, and im already running built 84 yota axles front and rear on YJ springs. if figure if im gunna get in there and change motor mounts, radiator, ect, id rather it be for a diesel. otherwise ill jsut go with a 1.6 16v and a volvo 4 speed auto behind it. i like the room around the fenders of a 4 banger over the v6

Isuzu has some smaller diesels, you could look into and pick up fairly cheap many are used in smaller box trucks

yeah i was thinkin about those as well. may have to do some junk yard searchin

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
What about finding an old chevy luv with the diesel 4 banger you can get a stick and use the luv trans and transfercase beacuse its a 4x4 i think it would make an awesome swap

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
There was an Isuzu box truck on Craigslist a couple weeks ago that a guy was parting out. It had a turbo diesel with an automatic in it.

You might have to beef up the suspension to handle the weight but it would scoot. Especially after you increase the fuel and upgrade the turbo. Fun stuff!

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
Do the 4bt anyway:thumb:
I'll come watch and drink beer while you throw that little bitch in. Hell I'll even let you borrow my garage up here if you want...much cooler brah. haha

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Inline five Brian might donate

thats honestly an idea i didnt think of. that is a possibility

What about finding an old chevy luv with the diesel 4 banger you can get a stick and use the luv trans and transfercase beacuse its a 4x4 i think it would make an awesome swap

Could do the jeep liberty diesel but i dont like them,they get like 23 mpg or less

its hard as hell to find an old luv with the 2.2 diesel. ive been searchin for the last few months just incase something came up out here but nothin. even the old ford ranger 2.3 you cant find or the nissan 2.2. im almost leanin toward a kabota motor or something lol.

There was an Isuzu box truck on Craigslist a couple weeks ago that a guy was parting out. It had a turbo diesel with an automatic in it.

You might have to beef up the suspension to handle the weight but it would scoot. Especially after you increase the fuel and upgrade the turbo. Fun stuff!

i wouldnt be too worried about the suspension as long as i can keep the motor/trans in the 400-500lbs range. i can always bump up leaf packs as well since they did make a 6 leaf pack for yj's. ill have to see if i can find that truck

'Busa motor......

its been done and there is NO torque to them lol

Do the 4bt anyway:thumb:
I'll come watch and drink beer while you throw that little bitch in. Hell I'll even let you borrow my garage up here if you want...much cooler brah. haha

i have a feelin its just gunna be too heavy. i was lookin them up last night and fully dressed they are around 700lbs. it would require me to do alot of frame and suspension work i dont care to get into. BTW, call me today if you wanna get your shit rollin!