Max'd Out back on the track

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
One big safety factor with a locker is if you break a front axle, your truck will pull very abruptly toward the side that breaks (just ask Jeff). I have an ARB now, and I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should use it at the strip.

I never thought about that, that makes me think twice...

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I never thought about that, that makes me think twice...

Rob, they work great until something breaks. I've seen the trucks swap lanes on the drag strip when the front locker breaks, and at 130-140mph, I'd rather give up a bit of ET, then wreck a competitor and/or the truck.

Besides, my family might have something to say to me as I've quit other forms of racing for this "safe" one if I get into a major wreak. I'd hate to prove myself wrong, again.

Last edited:

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
Rob,what happened to tne first motor?????

I'll answer and Rob can add to it if needed, we thought we lifted a head when we were in Fallon, when we pulled the motor and checked the heads couldn't find anything for certain. We have a real small expansion tank on the cooling system, we may have just gotten it hot and blew coolant all over the place. Wanted to swap motors anyway, this one has a filled blocked and the heads are a little more tricked up. We also bent a couple of push rods in the last motor so want to have the heads looked at and the valve clearences checked.

I decided early on having a spare of about everything is probably a good idea at the hp and et's we are trying to achieve.

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'll answer and Rob can add to it if needed, we thought we lifted a head when we were in Fallon, when we pulled the motor and checked the heads couldn't find anything for certain. We have a real small expansion tank on the cooling system, we may have just gotten it hot and blew coolant all over the place. Wanted to swap motors anyway, this one has a filled blocked and the heads are a little more tricked up. We also bent a couple of push rods in the last motor so want to have the heads looked at and the valve clearences checked.

I decided early on having a spare of about everything is probably a good idea at the hp and et's we are trying to achieve.

OT, but just out of curiousity, how many qt's is your expansion tank?