massive fuel leak/ low oil pressure

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
hello,
I am new to the diesel and forum world. Literally, just bought my first dmax 24 hours ago ( 2001 154,000 miles ) and have a massive fuel leak and low oil pressure compared to what it was when i test drove it.
Ill fill ya in right from the beginning.
Dealer said they just replaced 5 injectors due to fuel leak. test drove it and when i would get on it the pressure would go close to 70 if i remember right, now it wont even touch 30 barely!!! Idles around 10psi and 20 when i was trying to make it back home. Talked to a guy that i guess knows about diesels and he said it is either a pump or the injecters again. Looked under the truck and there was steam and fuel dripping ( not over heating). Walk out this morning and there was at least a Gallon or more of fuel on the ground!! dealership said they couldnt do anything today but could monday but i have a feeling there goin to tell me to kick rocks. tail gate is covered in fuel also. Im litterally sick to my stomach. Any ideas what it could be and cost ( i know very expensive ) to fix it?

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
I personally would take it back to the dealer right now park it there and let them know you want a rental till its fixed. If you drive it or keep it they might say you did it.

DeMax LB7

Bowtie Child
Dec 11, 2011
Rice Lake,WI
id have to guess its the cp3 for it to be leaking like that. i would deffinetly raise hell at the dealership you bought it from.

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Where is the fuel dripping from? If they just did injectors and didn't get a return line sealed right or the the high pressure lines are leaking because of corrosion your crankcase is fuel of fuel and has displaced all oil. Do not drive your truck! Trailer it to the dealership and tell them there is an internal fuel leak from the injector replacement and that they need to fix it and also give you an extended warranty on the motor. This is the reason your oil pressure is low.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
is the fuel in the driveway black? may be leaking under a valve cover and over flowing out the dipstick port.... that would explain the drop in oil pressure.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
thanks for the replys! it is dripping from the oil pan but cant find exactly were. Looking under the hood everything looks dry until you crawl underneath. Unfortunately, it was bought "as is" but under michigan law they should be responisble sense the problem was pre-existing and I have 2 people hear them say that it was fixed and that was the previous problem ( but im no lawyer). I dont know how these used car salesman can sleep at night knowing that they ripped a 21 year old off of his hard earned money. The guy i talked to said its not something that they could have hid it just came back.
Id think if and injector was leaking it was leak from the top of the motor but this is my first diesel so i have a long road of learning ahead of me. I also forgot to add it had a rough idle thats how i caught the problem. and you could also hear a pop, almost like a suction cup being pulled of a window from the top of the motor. The guy I talked to said that makes him believe its a high pressure pump but im not even sure he knows what he is talking about. This kid actually works for the supposed performance diesel shop that did the injector job but he just started. You can tell the injectors on one side were done because of the orange sealant but the other side factory sealed from what I can see.

Texas Chevy

Feb 14, 2011
Vista, Ca
the fuel is clearish. Im wandering if i should go wipe the whole bottom down and run it to see if i can see were it is coming from or just leave it to the pros?

Listen to us have it towed to the dealer NOW don't touch anything and don't admit to touching anything just tell them you noticed it and they need to fix it.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
the injectors for your truck are under the valve covers. so if they leak from the returns of have cracked bodies they will leak down into the oil pan.

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
What you have is a high pressure leak on either an injector, or injector line. That is where the rough idle is coming from. The crankcase is completely full of fuel up to the PCV outlets and it is spilling out the bypass tube on the passenger front side of the motor. DO NOT DRIVE this truck! Take it back ASAP. Your staring down the barrel of a few thousand dollar loaded gun if you don't listen to us. I had this exact thing happen to me a couple years ago when I had warranty injectors put in my 03. Good luck and pull out the lemon law card on them. But be prepared to pay court fees!

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
here are some pictures that i took. I did not touch/wipe down or start the truck, im goin to leave it for them to do. i just wanted some images for you guys to see.
The first couple are just what I walked out to this morning and when I first noticed the leak.
while i was under there I also noticed a wierd patch that I did not see yesterday while looking the truck over. Seems to be like JB weld but looks like it was applied almost in a sheet form. there is NO finger prints in the patch and has swirl marks so i would think its not JB weld ( if this is not normal why cant people do stuff the right way :mad:). Other wise the area by the patch seemed really clean from debris so im sure its not normal but could not visually see any cracks. The patch was located a few inches back from the crank pulley on a pan.
looking from below the vehicle up at the valve covers i see a slight wetness from fuel probably but not know were bad enough to produce this leak.. The other pictures are close to the bottom of the engine ( highest wet spot i could find ) around a bolt ..from what i can tell online it might be sometype of breather like you guys said and it is leaking from there.. I dont know if these pictures will help your if i am just showing you what you already know. im only familiar with gas engines. Im guessing the lines that are shown in the 3rd picture are transmision cooling lines. all pictures are taken from the passenger side

Attachments

• leak.jpg
    leak.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 55
  • leak1.jpg
    leak1.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 46
  • leak3.jpg
    leak3.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 54
  • patch.jpg
    patch.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
if that truck were run like that for any period of time i would get my money back and not walk away but run! and dont look back! i am willing to bet whats left of those 150,000mile bearings got wiped out pretty good

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
they took the truck back. They said there losing there ass on it trying to fix it. THey would fix it for me but the truck has already done this 2 previous times and they thought they fixed it. mise well get out while I can. THANKS FOR YOURH HELP.. they said they have a 05' but it possibly might be sold and there willing to go to the auction for me