massive fuel leak/ low oil pressure

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Yea they had a 05' that literally sold when i walked in the door that i was gonna take a look at.but i have a feeling if I didnt go in there saturday and complained I wouldnt have got my money back because they waited to send the papers in. So I actually didnt even buy the truck yet. There are a few lb7's around hear for sale but i think I will have a hard time buying something that im eventually going to have to put $2,000-$4,000 in. From what i hear the injectors are guranteed to go out sooner or later

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
and they suprising called me this morning saying that they would prefer to take the truck back. They could of had it fixed but they didnt want any more problems to happen to it down the road. The mechanic actually came to my house to look at it. From the sound of things that mechanic will not be getting any more buisness from them. They put 5 new injectors in on the 21st and now it needs another costly repair. Kind of curious on what there goin to do with it now? ( sense they already lost there ass on it )

red1977

Nov 15, 2010
Ogden Utah
I have a lb7 and my injectors made it 275,000 miles. It has the better injectors in that are not supposed to have problems but will see. The j b weld stuff you talking about is it on the oil pan? If so Its supposed to be there its a sound deading stuff they put on from the factory, I seen it on mine and freaked out like some put a rod threw the oil pan lol.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
yea the patch looked too "perfect" to be JB weld..it had crisp lines almost like it was a sheet of somesort...well hopefully the next person doesnt get taken on it..they would have fixed it but ya never know how long or if the previous owner drove it like that..they bought it with that problem and it took 2 times to the shop to get it fixed for less then 100 miles

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
Just keep your eyes open for an lly or newer. I was looking at '01-'02 lb7s and then found my '05 for the same price. They all have some issues though. Just make sure you get a history check before you buy a truck. If it has had a lot of things fixed, best to stay away. If you want help looking at some, Sounds like I'm not far from ya.

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
just emailed a dealership on a 04' for $13,000 192,000 miles. Higher then id like but low mile diesels are hard to come by in my price range. The VIN says it has a lb7 in it but i read online that the VIN's can be unreliable because they were in the process of switching over. What do you guys think about the price? seems reasonable for whats in the area..

tgebes

Livin' the Dream
Aug 23, 2011
Omaha Nebraska
It is a nice looking truck, and I would bet that it is an lb7 but thats just a guess. A lot of people run down lb7s for the injectors but I think that any truck can have injector issues and if you take care of your injectors (running a good additive) you can help prolong your life. There are also certain advatanges to lb7s... They have a higher compression ratio and fewer emissions than all other duramaxs which yields higher fuel economy. 04 should have an egr on it but 01 and 02 didnt even have an egr system on them just a vent tube. I would cautious with this dealership though, if that other lb7 had the issue twice before the bearing were probably already chewed up throughout the engine and they probably knew that. Good look with the delima :thumb:.

curt

noob
Jun 10, 2012
alberta, canada
2004 lb7 no egr or cat

i have a 2004 LB7 it has no EGR, just vent tube down front of engine, and no CAT! ordered truck new so must be last year for no EGR an CAT

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
There are also certain advatanges to lb7s... They have a higher compression ratio and fewer emissions than all other duramaxs which yields higher fuel economy. 04 should have an egr on it but 01 and 02 didnt even have an egr system on them just a vent tube. I would cautious with this dealership though, if that other lb7 had the issue twice before the bearing were probably already chewed up throughout the engine and they probably knew that. Good look with the delima :thumb:.
LB7 & LLY have the same compression ratio
02-04 could have Cali emissions

i have a 2004 LB7 it has no EGR, just vent tube down front of engine, and no CAT! ordered truck new so must be last year for no EGR an CAT
You have a federal emissions truck

curt

noob
Jun 10, 2012
alberta, canada
LB7 & LLY have the same compression ratio
02-04 could have Cali emissions

You have a federal emissions truck

ah thanks for info interesting! checked that federal emissions code and found the codes in glove box! its FE9 so no emission controls:thumb: if its YF5 it has emission controls

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
THis is a diffrent dealership. The first dealership called me back and tried playing me for a idiot. They had a 05' with 175k for $16,000 but it sold. They called back a day later saying they found a 03' with 175,000 miles and wanted $17,500 out the door.

Max Attitude

11SIX
Mar 7, 2012
Caledonia, MI
I would just stay away from dealerships honestly. I would look for one for sale by private seller.
couple lb7s
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/cto/3084761093.html

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?endYear=2013&zip=49302&keywords=duramax&keywordsfyc=duramax&maxPrice=14000&modelCode1=CHEVC25&driveCode=4WD|AWD&makeCode2=GMC&modelCode2=GMCC25PU&showcaseOwnerId=68276&makeCode1=CHEV&startYear=1981&searchRadius=0&minPrice=5000&listingId=324842821&Log=0

If miles dont bother you too much lly's with over 200,000 can be had for around $10k but kinda hard to find. I've looked for trucks down south before too and seems like the Duramax trucks are cheaper in the south plus no road salt. Whatever you do just be patient for the right one to come along.

Last edited:

bigboytoy426

Jun 30, 2012
grand rapids michigan
Thanks for taking the time to look around online! As much as I looked on CL im suprised I didnt see that GMC. That one in NC looks real nice but with my work schedule I wouldnt have the time to go out of state. I work for GFS and were coming into our busy season. Yea im not gonna jump right into anything. Im glad I didnt get stuck with that last one.