Manifolds, Up Pipes what brand?

jacobdewey

This won't last long...
Jan 14, 2011
This is making alot of people look like fools. Quit smack talking and let your customer service and products speak for you.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
so your telling me that when your running a "race valve" effectively blocking any outlet of over pressure from the fuel rails that you cant make the cp3 see more pressure than designed and cause damage?

any pump that doesnt have a fail safe in the system either electric or mechanical will suffer damage when drastically going over designed pressure. a cp3 with no relief valve on the rail and the wrong electronic pressure controller will be damaged, injectors seeing significantly more than designed pressure will be damaged (in this case they cracked the bodies).

You're telling me that somebody is running a race valve, and 2 CP3 pumps, yet wants to run 23,000 PSI pressure?

I shim them BECAUSE I want more fuel. Same reason I run 2 pumps to begin with.

In any case, I run as much pressure as the pumps will put out. I'm not the only one. My busted CP3 was not related to over pressure, it was a failed experiment.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
You're telling me that somebody is running a race valve, and 2 CP3 pumps, yet wants to run 23,000 PSI pressure?

I shim them BECAUSE I want more fuel. Same reason I run 2 pumps to begin with.

In any case, I run as much pressure as the pumps will put out. I'm not the only one. My busted CP3 was not related to over pressure, it was a failed experiment.

Than why not run a race valve? Shimming still gives it a fail safe pressure dump.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I shim mine simply because I'm cheap.

When I first started shimming FPRV's, there were some on the internet who said I'd blow my truck up. That was about 7 years ago? And while I've certainly done my fair share of damage to Dmax engines, none of it was due to rail pressure AFAIK.

Eganracing

Aug 3, 2011
I run the ats manifolds and have been very happy with them. Bolted up with no issues and look good without the inner fender flares in there.

I also installed a 4094vvt, banks hot side boost tube and ricks shorty y bridge with the egr delete tube over the alternator. All together the parts work great. Ricks parts also fit great.

I have the ppe race valve on the truck along with the ported rail fittings and those to have worked great. Still a little confused though on how my old ats e-power tuner has the same exact start up and screens as my old ppe hot+2 et. I could swear they are the same thing but either way I have been happy with ppe.

Have had this setup on for 5,000 miles now and my only complaint is a blown boost coupler from rick but thats not even worth complaining about.

Just wanted to post my findings from the average guy perspective.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
so your telling me that when your running a "race valve" effectively blocking any outlet of over pressure from the fuel rails that you cant make the cp3 see more pressure than designed and cause damage?

any pump that doesnt have a fail safe in the system either electric or mechanical will suffer damage when drastically going over designed pressure. a cp3 with no relief valve on the rail and the wrong electronic pressure controller will be damaged, injectors seeing significantly more than designed pressure will be damaged (in this case they cracked the bodies).

I think there is more to that story than your posting, Ive had my lb7 relief valve welded shut for over 4 years and had max rail to them many times.
If you got a controler that can make my cp3s go over 220mpa ill purchase it from you

Than why not run a race valve? Shimming still gives it a fail safe pressure dump.

Because shims work great and pending how many shims you have, you can exceed some pretty high pressure

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand

sounds to me like a fuel line issue....the injector return line is bigger than the inlet

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
There you go talking about stuff you have NO idea about. How do you think we origially started out dynoing Duramaxs? Guess what is was NOT on a Chassis Dyno......:D:thumb:

I dont know what you guys dyno with, i was expressing my opinion on types of dynos. I guess it goes to say you talk about stuff you have NO idea about, like when you told someone from Precision Turbo at the PRI event I was having bad luck with their turbos.... word gets around.:thumb: Im sure you will deny that too though...:baby:
Maybe you misunderstood me on the forums, i was having bad luck with those junk gtx chargers, the 4508 to be exact.

Last edited:

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Yup always been the way people love to read the good ole wang measuring threads. My pee pee is bigger than your pee pee. :D

It is easy to figure out who is camping in who's tent if your looking to keep a list although. Then you get the people who never post come'a posting. That tells you that there is phone time involved as the sewing circle buzzes.

One thing for certain re labeling has been going on for years! As has Rob And Duplicate. Since the beginning of time. I'd say 99% of vendors are guilty. Then you have the 1% that if you dig deep enough the stole something somewhere guarantee even tho the claim not to of. There is no such thing as 'scratch' we aren't baking cakes.

Very true!

One thing is we should all be happy that both or all parties get into this as it makes new better desighns and cheaper parts due to consumers

Ive heard from many friends that Rick has top notch customer service and myself have had nothing but great service from PPE, Dan has always done me right:)

Im reading what Rick has to say and about the NO FAILURES.....Well i question that, However if Rick is willing to make it good thats great!

Better parts, And ofcourse no one will make you make the best part right from the get go...I mean lets get real here.

PPE seems to have take a licken here, But I for 1 am glad that they do what they do. They have made alot of parts..... that perhaps other have made, But dont sell to the joe blow and for that reason we have a ton of fast duramaxes

Ill be honest and ive ran stock manifolds for many years. I couldnt justify paying 1000 bucks for some fricken 2" pipe!!

Does it make a difference??? We will see, as I recently purchased some of PPEs pipes.....I did however have some up pipes built along time ago by a person that was very good fabricator. However thats another story.

Last edited:

kivetts04dmax

May 20, 2010
Boonville, MO/Pendleton, CA
I've dealt with customer service from PPE and that alone makes me not want to deal with them anymore, I never talked to Dan but the other people I did talk to were rude and they all told me different things so I thought they were just trying to get money out of me..

I bought headers/uppipes from Rick when he was out of material, he stayed in contact every couple days and when I received them he even coated them for me free of charge!! :D they unfortunately sat around long enough and someone wanted a set so I sold them and I never thought about it but they never came with bolts, the person I sold them to called him up and Rick sent the guy all hardware needed without any questions and didn't charge the guy for them or shipping..

Needless to say, I know where my manifolds/uppipes are coming from when I can get a little extra cash, thanks Rick!

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
I dont know what you guys dyno with, i was expressing my opinion on types of dynos. I guess it goes to say you talk about stuff you have NO idea about, like when you told someone from Precision Turbo at the PRI event I was having bad luck with their turbos.... word gets around.:thumb: Im sure you will deny that too though...:baby:
Maybe you misunderstood me on the forums, i was having bad luck with those junk gtx chargers, the 4508 to be exact.

Foot meet mouth!!! Mmmmmm how does that taste?

There you go again..... No idea what you are talking about.....

First of I have NEVER been to PRI. Second Precision came to PPE (to our shop in Fullerton) to get us to start using their Turbos. I had been told by a few people (that I trust) that you had one or more failures of Precision turbos that you were running. I simply asked the employee of Precision about the reliability of their turbos. He said he as minimal to zero failures. I asked him about what was going on with your failure (s) and he admitted that you had a failure (maybe two, don’t recall). :hug:

Now on to the Garrett GTX's. I have not seen ONE failure of them yet (myself). You might have killed one (or a few) do to improper turbo sizing. If you push any turbo way past its efficiency map you will get it to fail. I don’t care if it’s a Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, IHI, ANY BRAND. So instead of saying the GTX's are junk (which is not the case) Maybe you should learn more about sizing turbos better for your application and you "Might" have better luck.:thumb::D

I have nothing against Precision Turbos other than the price (damn they are expensive!) I am sure they make some very nice stuff but I don’t feel they are for everyone. :)

doug9940

Ca LLY
Dec 6, 2009
Corona, Ca.
I've dealt with customer service from PPE and that alone makes me not want to deal with them anymore, I never talked to Dan but the other people I did talk to were rude and they all told me different things so I thought they were just trying to get money out of me..

I bought headers/uppipes from Rick when he was out of material, he stayed in contact every couple days and when I received them he even coated them for me free of charge!! :D they unfortunately sat around long enough and someone wanted a set so I sold them and I never thought about it but they never came with bolts, the person I sold them to called him up and Rick sent the guy all hardware needed without any questions and didn't charge the guy for them or shipping..

Needless to say, I know where my manifolds/uppipes are coming from when I can get a little extra cash, thanks Rick!
I can confirm this as I'm "the guy" that didn't get bolts with those pipes. One phone call to Rick and a few days later the Fed Ex truck pulled up with my bolts. Rick didn't second quess my story about not getting bolts and never even brought up money. I have always had outstanding customer service from him. Then again whenever I've called PPE, Dan Grant always took good care of me too. My truck has parts from both companies and I will continue to do business with both. I'll also continue to recomend both to anyone that asks my opionion. I think they are both good for the Duramax community as a whole and there is more than enough room here for both PPE and ProFab to exist peacfully on this forum. Just my $.02. Keep up the good work Dan and Rick.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com

I've used all three major brands of chassis dynos: Dynojet, Mustangs, and SuperFlows, both gas engines and diesels.

I've used them at a more than a dozen different facilities over the years, as far away as Kentucky.

I probably did over 300 pulls on LSx cars, and far more on diesels.

Why would I waste my money on chassis dyno'g when it "does nothing"?

Probably because "does nothing" isn't quite accurate:

2000 Camaro - 13.85@107 before "tweaking" on dyno. 12.52@111 after.
2002 Corvette - 12.40@110 before "tweaking" on dyno. 11.68@117 after.
2004 Duramax - 17.40 before, 13.10 after.
2005 Duramax - 16.40 before, 12.85 after
2006 Duramax - 16.10? before, 12.50@107 after.

In most those cases, very small changes were made. Ones that worked stayed, ones that did nothing were removed.

I don't "throw parts at shiit" based on ad lit. It's not my style.

In any case, if you think Garretts are crap, you're wrong. They take far more abuse than any charger should endure and keep on humming. Many folk run them 200% past their design limits.

We do not have enough displacement or RPM to overspeed a GT4508 single to the point of damage during a brief sledpull or 1/4 mile pass. If you blow one up, you fk'd something up. Either boost leak, wild EGTs, poor oiling, etc.

And until you find out what you fk'd up on, you will continue to explode expensive chargers until you run out of money or patience, regardless of advertising copy or brand.

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
I've used all three major brands of chassis dynos: Dynojet, Mustangs, and SuperFlows, both gas engines and diesels.

I've used them at a more than a dozen different facilities over the years, as far away as Kentucky.

I probably did over 300 pulls on LSx cars, and far more on diesels.

Why would I waste my money on chassis dyno'g when it "does nothing"?

Probably because "does nothing" isn't quite accurate:

2000 Camaro - 13.85@107 before "tweaking" on dyno. 12.52@111 after.
2002 Corvette - 12.40@110 before "tweaking" on dyno. 11.68@117 after.
2004 Duramax - 17.40 before, 13.10 after.
2005 Duramax - 16.40 before, 12.85 after
2006 Duramax - 16.10? before, 12.50@107 after.

In most those cases, very small changes were made. Ones that worked stayed, ones that did nothing were removed.

I don't "throw parts at shiit" based on ad lit. It's not my style.

In any case, if you think Garretts are crap, you're wrong. They take far more abuse than any charger should endure and keep on humming. Many folk run them 200% past their design limits.

We do not have enough displacement or RPM to overspeed a GT4508 single to the point of damage during a brief sledpull or 1/4 mile pass. If you blow one up, you fk'd something up. Either boost leak, wild EGTs, poor oiling, etc.

And until you find out what you fk'd up on, you will continue to explode expensive chargers until you run out of money or patience, regardless of advertising copy or brand.

I understand how a dyno works, they are awesome tuning tools, but if your testing parts that make 10-20hp difference engine dynos need to be used considering the drivetrain could give you different results. I was on a chassis dyno yesterday my self, i did not mean their useless, but you can sure get a lot more info out of an engine dyno, no matter what testing you are doing.

I dont think garretts are junk, i love the old r series chargers, as far as the gtx's, they have had more failures than they can count. Do a search on other sites. Garrett Told me on the first one i sent back THEY had over tightened the compressor wheel out of the factory, not to change a thing, keep running it. In the mean time while i was waiting on mine to come back, i ran a 4202r that had already been through hell in back on an improperly speced twin kit, so if i had a boost leak, wild egts, or poor oiling, it would have taken it out too. So low and behold, i get my brand new 4508 back, does the same thing after 2 passes, my drive pressure and boost, were a better ratio than what i ran with the 4202. Send it back to garrett again, they said it was overspeed, so obviously your cubic inch theory is wrong according to garrett themselves, or they dont know what they are talking about???? Put the 4202 back on, and finished up the year, no issues what so ever. So i dont think its something i f'ked up on like you think nor is it brand, it was the series of the brand. Yes even you can be wrong.

Im not sure why your taking jabs at me like i dont know what im talking about/doing anyways. IIRC you were pming me about a certain crank shaft of my buddies trying to get some info on it... i was nice enough to do so, now the blind folds are on... phuck that.

Last edited:

Rhall

Old Skooler
Aug 12, 2006
Texas Y'all
Foot meet mouth!!! Mmmmmm how does that taste?

There you go again..... No idea what you are talking about.....

First of I have NEVER been to PRI. Second Precision came to PPE (to our shop in Fullerton) to get us to start using their Turbos. I had been told by a few people (that I trust) that you had one or more failures of Precision turbos that you were running. I simply asked the employee of Precision about the reliability of their turbos. He said he as minimal to zero failures. I asked him about what was going on with your failure (s) and he admitted that you had a failure (maybe two, don’t recall). :hug:

Now on to the Garrett GTX's. I have not seen ONE failure of them yet (myself). You might have killed one (or a few) do to improper turbo sizing. If you push any turbo way past its efficiency map you will get it to fail. I don’t care if it’s a Garrett, Precision, Borg Warner, IHI, ANY BRAND. So instead of saying the GTX's are junk (which is not the case) Maybe you should learn more about sizing turbos better for your application and you "Might" have better luck.:thumb::D

I have nothing against Precision Turbos other than the price (damn they are expensive!) I am sure they make some very nice stuff but I don’t feel they are for everyone. :)

Ok, sorry it was not at PRI, i thought it was around sema or something, none the less it was not having bad luck with their chargers, they actually gave me feedback that i could work with, and made changes to make the charger right. Have you ever bushed or clipped a turbo down? Ran one? You can throw all your sizing calculations out the window, when you start clipping a charger down to 2.6, in sled pulling we dont run native wheels hardly ever, even 3.0 is clipped down a protruded. Some of you guys that dont sled pull have a hard time understanding that. The gtx45 that i ran, was different from what you are running. So unless garrett has started selling bushed, or clipped turbos recently, you can throw the maps out the window. I have bushed and clipped many garrett r series chargers, all without any failure, the gtx's.... not so much.

I have personally seen 5 gtx's fail, all different trucks, and all had ran garrett r series chargers before with great luck. All on the pulling track, 3 of them were 4508s. I would say sizing was the key, but Pat said in this post we dont have enought cubes to overspeed one???? Garrett told me once it was their fault and not to change it, then the second time, said it was overspeed, and they dont build their turbos for performance application. So their feed back was useless.

Dont get me wrong, ive ran a ton of garretts, always my favorite charger, hell with your guys' twin kit, that supposedly didnt need a waste gate, we were pushing that 4202 2 to 1 on drive pressure, and it still lasted for the month or so we ran it without a wastegate. i just dont think the gtx is quite what their old chargers are, but the number of failures ive seen besides mine, they are junk, especially when it comes to custom needs.

Last edited: