Main Cap Walk

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I will find out what they did to mine exactly but it has definitely been along honed twice and everything is still good. Cam gear still has lash and cross bolts went in fine

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Also again sorry lol

I have never run a billet cap and have never had main problems. I have reused the same bearings over for many years. I'm also poor and can't afford new stuff just because it sounds cool. I'm not a billet blinger like Wade.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Geebus you guys are waaaaay over thinking this. Center line of the crank does NOT change when only the mating surfaces are skimmed, material will be removed from the ID of the cap to make the circle true again. Only time the centerline would be dropped is if the bore was too big, and needed reworked.

This is almost as bad as arguing with people about sighting in a gun with the one shot method LOL

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Caps

If you can cut a cap and not get into the block your a pretty bad dude. I think you would have chatter trying to cut one half of a surface.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If you can cut a cap and not get into the block your a pretty bad dude. I think you would have chatter trying to cut one half of a surface.

I won't speak for everyone Jeff, but when i say cut a cap I mean the flat part on a bridge port and then I go line bore it as part of the block where I have some meat.

It is very rare the cap is rounded and not the saddles in the block.
But it does happen on occasion and is a fairly easy fix.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
If you manage to somehow in another universe cut one half and not the other, well you'll have one f$@ked up circle... Okay guys imagine instead of say .006 needs to be shaved off of each mating surface, it needs .5 inch from each side!!! That has to give y'all a better visual in your head on how the centerline will move up toward the cam (cause this ain't a free floating surface, the cap is pulled to the block via bolts)

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Centerline

You can change the bore size and the centerline will not change. 1" or 3" and it's still the same centerline. If you cut the cap and resize the main the only way the centerline will not change is if you don't cut the block when resizing the hole.that would be a hard time cutting half a hole and keeping it strait and true.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
You can change the bore size and the centerline will not change. 1" or 3" and it's still the same centerline. If you cut the cap and resize the main the only way the centerline will not change is if you don't cut the block when resizing the hole.that would be a hard time cutting half a hole and keeping it strait and true.

Thats exactly how it has to happen. the cap is curled and somehow the saddle in the block has survived, or at least it did not effect the part where the bearing rides. You cut the cap to get in the good meat. There is an art to it, and only the best machinist can get this done and have a perfect line bore and centerline. This guy Justin that I work with happens to be one of them.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

Yes exactly. But both the cap and the block are messed up in this case so the block will be shaved thus changing cl relation to cam

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Geebus you guys are waaaaay over thinking this. Center line of the crank does NOT change when only the mating surfaces are skimmed, material will be removed from the ID of the cap to make the circle true again. Only time the centerline would be dropped is if the bore was too big, and needed reworked.

This is almost as bad as arguing with people about sighting in a gun with the one shot method LOL

That's right. And also, even if the bore was too big and needed to be reworked, you can still maintain the same center line, it would require a larger bearing though.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
So many view, so many partial perceptions.....

IF you trim anything off the block or cap, you will shift the centerline of the new, now no-circular hole combination. True.

BUT the block side of the hole is still centered to the original location. Your local machinist can use it for reference to now cut the cap to keep the crank on the original centerline.

And no, it's not a big deal to line bore a block and only take material off the cap.

So everyone chill, the block is salvageable in the hands of a skilled machinist.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
That's right. And also, even if the bore was too big and needed to be reworked, you can still maintain the same center line, it would require a larger bearing though.

An oversize bearing is the only way to do this. However main bearings come in undersize only for dmax, you would need to find a housing bore that is oversized in the apa guide and then spec a custom bearing. The next guy to work on it will hate you for this.

IF YOU CUT THE CAP MATING SURFACE ON BLOCK YOU WILL CHANGE THE CENTERLINE. THERE IS NO WAY AROUND IT IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE DURAMAX MAIN BEARINGS.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland

IF you trim anything off the block or cap, you will shift the centerline of the new, now no-circular hole combination. True.

BUT the block side of the hole is still centered to the original location. Your local machinist can use it for reference to now cut the cap to keep the crank on the original centerline.

If you cut the block mating surface and then re bore the mains or line hone the mains the upper bearing will potrude from the mating surface and the lower bearing will be recessed. It may be only a couple thou, will the tab properly seat or it may need machined and adjusted. I would be concerned with bearing crush and distortion of the backing material at the ends of the bearings as they are intended to be mated at the mating surface of the block.

However I have never attempted this repair, and i am not questioning your experience.

What are your thoughts/experience on potrusion above the mating surface and proper crush of the bearing?

And no, it's not a big deal to line bore a block and only take material off the cap.

So everyone chill, the block is salvageable in the hands of a skilled machinist.

thanks for chiming in as I am especially concerned with the area of the bearing that potrudes. At that area the bearing could potientially be wider than the cap as it is torques down, once torqued down the circle will be perfect since it was align honed. However with the crank in place and only a few thou to wiggle with could the bearing be damaged on installation.

I think I understand that you are basically reboring a new hole in "good MEat" that will be lined up to the same centerline as the old hole. Ie the boring bit will just skim the upper most part of the bore.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The block side protrudes a small amount, but then again the cap side is slightly recessed. They match.

A good machinist can maintain the bore size provided the block bores are in alignment.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
The block side protrudes a small amount, but then again the cap side is slightly recessed. They match.

A good machinist can maintain the bore size provided the block bores are in alignment.

That is what I think we are all trying to understand.
How do you maintain the bore size in the recessed bearing area of cap. If you open it up maybe a thou or 2 so that the bearing backing plating material does not scrape on install, will this effect bearing crush?

And this is so hard to explain without pictures and I am sure that makes it a little harder. But I can picture in my mind exactly what you are describing.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!

Which is pretty much exactly what I was saying.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

Yeah but the block is f-Ed up too so you have to cut the block. Not just the cap. So that's not gonna work.