LMM: LMM with 222,000 tear down rebuild

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Buy a crate motor with a warranty :thumb:

On a serious note, I'd like to know why you keep burning these things down. Plenty of people hot shot with Dmax's

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Buy a crate motor with a warranty :thumb:

On a serious note, I'd like to know why you keep burning these things down. Plenty of people hot shot with Dmax's

Explain why piston randomly crack?
I have cracked 2 pistons both with less then 400rwhp, LBZ in my 3500 HD and my LMM,
I thought keeping oil temps below 240° would fix/help keep them alive hence why ininvested almost $1000.00 in aux oil cooler setup.. I avg 220-230° in the summer.

Explain why dowel pins shear from factory?
I've recently found out balancer bolt is TTY.
Explain why an engine that hasn't been touched since assembly, shears dowl pin with in 50k and one that has had water pump replaces doesn't, then will last 300,000+ miles...
The LBZ in my 3500 HD is factory dowel pin andnoem bolt has over 75k on it and currently running around Ogden UT in a different truck... And my LMM failed with less then 25,000milee
Defective parts? Luck of the draw? Making up for others lack of issues?!?

Tune? cruise @70mph with avg load is 700-1000uS @ 23-26k with 5-13° of main timing pending RPM/tps
avg EGT is 7-800° max is 1150° I've seen

Max is 1750uS and 25° above 2500rpm at 26k which has dyno'd ~400/800 HP/tq +/-5% twice 6 months apart.

I'm not breaking same thing repeatedly.

Last edited:

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Not doubting your tuning ability but I'm curious if you have tuning issues that's killing them? Just maybe a missed table or something?

I'm sure there are absolutely terrible tunes out there that don't kill trucks. I just wonder if it's a combo of tuning and how the truck is used?

I have a customer with an Lmm that pulls the guts out of it 90% of the time it's drove and it made it 240k with an edge delete tuner set on stage 3. Nothing else done to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
One of my older timing maps
10600491_10204062702261413_4142445915780079156_n.jpg

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Like I said I'm not saying tuning is what's wrong, I'm sure almost everyone knows more on tuning than I do lol.

Maybe someone can glance over your tune to make sure it's ok?

All I see if green and red, and some yellow colors. With some numbers in them which might as will be Chinese letters to me

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Maybe someone can glance over your tune to make sure it's ok?

I don't have a problem.. And yes several have... There are two shops that i helped tune trucks for some 8 years ago . one was bouncing Tuning ideas off each other and the other I actually wrote tunes for... I pretty much stop sending tunes when I need to do live Tuning and couldn't due to me being in the military. And couldn't travel for various reasons

Neither are active on this forum but both are members.. And Both currently run successful shops..

Not bragging just some history about my background..

Brian's right about weight.. It's a prong sustained strain on the drive train

I regularly run 75-90% of the designed capacity limit avg gross weight of 30-33k or 23-25,000 trailer.. High sail/weight loads work the engines cooling system pretty hard in the summer..
There have been loads where inj pulse width never dropped below 13-1400uS outside slowing down for exit/going down hill For ~1200 miles.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I don't have a problem.. And yes several have... There are two shops that i helped tune trucks for some 8 years ago . one was bouncing Tuning ideas off each other and the other I actually wrote tunes for... I pretty much stop sending tunes when I need to do live Tuning and couldn't due to me being in the military. And couldn't travel for various reasons

Neither are active on this forum but both are members.. And Both currently run successful shops..

Not bragging just some history about my background..

Brian's right about weight.. It's a prong sustained strain on the drive train

I regularly run 75-90% of the designed capacity limit avg gross weight of 30-33k or 23-25,000 trailer.. High sail/weight loads work the engines cooling system pretty hard in the summer..

There have been loads where inj pulse width never dropped below 13-1400uS outside slowing down for exit/going down hill For ~1200 miles.

Didn't mean any offense to you on it. I wasn't sure on your tuning back ground. I was just more curious than anything.

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I know 2 completely, 100% stock LMM's that broke cranks... Both older gentleman with good maintenance.

I've tuned stuff pretty hot over the years, and I still don't get why some people get "bad luck."

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Didn't mean any offense to you on it. I wasn't sure on your tuning back ground. I was just more curious than anything.

No offense taken... I'm just normally matter of fact blunt... Which comes off assholeish at times :beer:
I'm sure there was some anger/frustration mixed there that vented off..

The Dmax/Allison is capable of 36k rating in the 5500 with Trailer. I'd have to dig for the PDF file..
The AAM 1150 is rated for just under 30k GCVW making it the "week link"

Working on putting #3 engine in the truck since end of may is rough for a bread and butter truck by any standard. Especially since I haven't done anything "worth of said carnage"

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Luck of the draw it seems.

I didn't read back through this thread but I thought you had fingers pistons in it?

Cummins won't fix anything, they pound for hours on end in test cells only to be shut down for oil checks/ changes and they still have problems in the real world.