LMM how to drive it for fuel economy

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
Not sure if this is in the right area but here's my stupid question.

Is it better the slowly creap up to driving speeds (shifting at 1700-900 rpm) where you can barely hear the turbo kick in or would it be better to drive it a little harder to where your hearing the turbo kick in and get up to speed faster. Ideally normal driving where should my RPM be when its shifting for best fuel economy.

Sorry for the silly question but I am new to diesels and I love it but if I can get better fuel economy it would be even better.

2008 LMM sierra 134K CC/SB

BudTX

Edjumacated Redneck
Apr 8, 2007
MO
The DIC display can help you find the most efficient method. I suspect that the most efficient will be a gradual acceleration at lower RPMs.

Petty Cash

Would ya' look at that!?
Feb 12, 2014
Northwestern Pennsylvania
What kind of fuel economy are you getting?

The LMM is around 14-15 driving back and forth to work on country two lanes with a ton of idling on winter fuel. With your 70/30 Highway/city split I'd be in the neighborhood of 16-17 MPG, based on similar trips I've taken. That's with my tuning though.

My LB7 has been around 20-21 highway running around Ohio. Around here it's always been closer to 16/19 city/highway.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
I don't know if this helps or hurts but I do have a K&N air filter in the stock box. What would be recommended to help improve fuel economy on my truck? I'd love to see in the High teens or low twenty's.

Petty Cash

Would ya' look at that!?
Feb 12, 2014
Northwestern Pennsylvania
A good tune is probably the best bang for your buck. You won't go wrong with any of the respected tuners. If a canned tune is more what you're after, I'd suggest looking at PPE.

mario430

Jan 8, 2014
Phoenix Arizona
A good tune is probably the best bang for your buck. You won't go wrong with any of the respected tuners. If a canned tune is more what you're after, I'd suggest looking at PPE.

I will be 100% honest I know nothing and when I say nothing I mean nothing in regards to tuners I would just like better fuel economy. My big thing is my truck is a daily driver and I don't want to do anything to hurt engine or my Allison. So any recommendations are welcome and appreciated. Heck I'd love to meet up with someone in Phoenix and have them look over the truck and see if they have any additional recommendations.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
By a used tuner for cheap IMO a PPE or a Predator. You have to find one that will delete the emissions stuff. If you want a good increase and then you need a aftermarket exhaust.

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yeah get rid of the DPF and call Steve @ SS Diesel Tuning. He's your neighbor. I have two LB7's and my LMM. I'm dying to see what my mileage is now that the DPF is gone.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Ok yes another new guy what is a dpf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you had an lmm you would know lmm up are the only ones that need to worry about it.

Dpf diesel particulate filter emissions bs. Good for nothing other than collecting dust in the garage.

Search function in this site will take you from new guy to a semi expert ifnyou use it properly

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
Get yourself an egt gauge.

When you accelerate watch the gauge and keep the temps as low as possible. The more fuel you're burning the higher the egts.

DirtyMax32

Sep 11, 2013
I have a ppe HOT+ 2 E.T. 10 stage tuner for sale. Fits 01-10. PM me if you're interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk