Lmls with "bad motors"

RidinHigh99

Feb 19, 2014
Our work trucks have 175k on them and their lml's. Deleted and tuned with a 40 horse h&s. 9 months out of the year they are hauling at the least a 7k empty deck over. They never don't have a trailer on them literally. No broken cranks yet but inter cooler boots have been the only problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
I've personally seen 3 lml with broken cranks. One had less than 100k miles and didn't work hard at all, one had just over 200k and towed often. Both stock emissions. 3rd one is a fleet truck we've maintained since about 70k miles. Regular service and never run hot. Deleted with h&s @ 100k. It made it to about 280k. It pretty much only unhooks from 10-12k lbs to come in for service. Same fleet also has an lml that popped a piston @ about 270k. 7 others all had some degree of cracking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Reading thru this, is it a reasonable deduction to say that GM is pushing the envelope of the materials being used, for the power output of the LML?

Jackmo

Aug 12, 2013
I wouldn't think they are pushing the limits of the material horsepower wise. I think it's more in the harmonics and balancing areas. The qc on these newer cranks seems to not be that great either.