LML Rods

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
bottom line all the rods are still PM shit rods. I want a damn 12 valve already lol

Kory, its safe to say you are floating around 650ish hp with the LML right? How many 1/4 passes has the truck done at that power level?

Around 100 by the end of this week... This motor has taken some abuse this week. Lol!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
whats wrong with powdered metal???

Just because the 7.3 ford has the big deal with the PM versus forged rods, you think anything that is, quote, "powdered metal" is shit? :rolleyes:

There are lots of different kinds of "powdered metal". Its not a name for a specific material, you know................

and dont you think the design of the rod has something to do with it, in addition to the material?

im just saying.

ben

Ben that has to do with physics, engineering and metallurgy... everyone knows the smart way is to just base everything on an unfounded opinion. You idiot.

:D

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
So who makes a PM rod that would handle what a Carrillo can? I'm guessing nobody bothers making a high performance PM connecting rod for our truck. Am I wrong?

bluessmax

Tabasco Injected!
Nov 4, 2010
Lake Charles, la
R&R (TTS) rods are all we run down here... Dallas has gone to them in Hulk as well. With non in history been bent before that I'm aware of, they have proven very worthy!

gmac32

Dec 8, 2009
bellville ohio
I say try lml rods and see what they do? I am running cut lml pistons in the two builds I am doing right now. I will have to start a build thread on these two motors. The way I see it if you don't have the money for good rods try the lml's out. Somebody has to be the guinea pig

Magnus

Jun 22, 2013
whats wrong with powdered metal???

Just because the 7.3 ford has the big deal with the PM versus forged rods, you think anything that is, quote, "powdered metal" is shit? :rolleyes:

There are lots of different kinds of "powdered metal". Its not a name for a specific material, you know................

and dont you think the design of the rod has something to do with it, in addition to the material?

im just saying.

ben

^^^this.

Relative manages a LARGE powdered metal forging plant cranking out rods for anything and everything. The designs are obviously set at an optimum price/performance point based on stock operating conditions plus a factor of safety. Designs are optimized for meeting the factor of safety with minimum material input and post forging machine work (easy to control with powdered metal). I'm not sure how powdered metal has become synonymous with weak link, but the 250+ ton presses they use now and temperatures they achieve in forging make some tough cookies. Perfomance is great in designed specs and the price is right, so the days of OEM supplied rods like 12valves had are done (cummins even came to the dark side now). Hate on the designers if you must, but the material is sound.

Even if the LML rods are a crap design (crap in 2013 is now defined as not surviving 700hp boosted launches), you have to appreciate the overall design. I have an LML and an old surplus M1008, and I can hardly wrap my head around how short the new pulse width is and how precise injection timing is compared to mechanical Trucks. And that's just one sub system of the engine... Everything has evolved to make a masterpiece that can hit a 96mph governor while towing up a 7% grade and still has a warranty. DPF, DEF, VGT, powdered metal parts... They're all necessary evils in the evolutionary chain.

JackPine47

Apr 3, 2013
central mn
I say try lml rods and see what they do? I am running cut lml pistons in the two builds I am doing right now. I will have to start a build thread on these two motors. The way I see it if you don't have the money for good rods try the lml's out. Somebody has to be the guinea pig

im trying the lml rods out with cut lml pistons in my lb7 just thought id give it a try and see what they can do even though I had the money for rods... im in the middle of the build I don't want any more than 650 hp tho just trying to decide if im going to go with a ii s366 or a wehrli twin kit now

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Yes and no. Im sure you could duplicate the results on just a dyno, but good luck on it holding together for any real track / street time.