LML pistons

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
I have a customer with an LML bottom end that's well over 600RWHP. No it's not dyno proven but its proven itself on the pullin track plenty of times now. Has over 20,000 miles on it now. No issues so far. Should be in the 750RWHP range soon.....;)

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Accoring to diesel power, the LML crank is lighter, as to how much, I do not know. Wonder if those will break cranks too.

Ian J

Nov 5, 2010
Merredin Western Australia
Just about to pull a unknown LMM down in the next day or so and was looking at just building a good 500RWHP motor so dont really need cut and coated LB7 pistons and dont really want to use the LMM pistons as I have two built motors I might try to keep this a "economical reliable build"

Has any body modified the LML p[istons as in delipped them?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Just about to pull a unknown LMM down in the next day or so and was looking at just building a good 500RWHP motor so dont really need cut and coated LB7 pistons and dont really want to use the LMM pistons as I have two built motors I might try to keep this a "economical reliable build"

Has any body modified the LML p[istons as in delipped them?

Yes, mine are delipped. Lip removed with a .010 radius.

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
Jerrod, I believe you are running a complete lml short block that you built. Is this correct? Or did you stuff the lml rotating assembly into a different Gen block?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Jerrod, I believe you are running a complete lml short block that you built. Is this correct? Or did you stuff the lml rotating assembly into a different Gen block?

Correct, My shortblock is 100% LML. Only mods done to the shortblock were main studs since I already had them and pistons delipped.

adrenaholc1

Apr 5, 2011
Butler Co. OHIO
Are there any big difference between an lbz and lml block? Or can an lbz block be undressed and fitted with lml parts. Not sure what all parts there are on a dmax short block but I'm thinking of things like oil pump, cp3, CAM, gear train, etc. Thanks for any info.
Ron

maxed out

Oct 3, 2011
ok so now the rods all have 1 part number for 2011 and 2012 as in the later assy. but pistons are different for 11 , 4 rights and 4 lefts as prior but for 12 they are all the same number any one know the difference ? can you run the 12 piston in a lbz engine . any one know of rings for the 12 piston besides gm ?

embs200

Jan 1, 2012
ATL, GA
so a lmm rod and piston on a lly crank and block sound like a good idea? would lml nozzels need to be on the lly injectors for spray pattern purposes? what about compression?

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
so a lmm rod and piston on a lly crank and block sound like a good idea? would lml nozzels need to be on the lly injectors for spray pattern purposes? what about compression?

Lmm rod yes, Pistons no. I would use the early LB7/LLY pistons, less prone to cracking. Rebalance the whole rotating assembly. You can't put LML nozzles on LLY injectors, they are different Bosch vs Piezo IIRC.