LML pistons

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
No I think the pin is the same size....

Its that the small end of the rod (the 'keystone' profile if you look at the rod sideways) tapers in more, and thus the piston "cavity" for the small end of the rod is too small to fit a 2001-2010 dmax rod in. But if you machine down the "taper" on the small end of a carillo/crower, it will fit in an LML piston.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
so we can fit an aftermarket rod in an LML piston, but can we fit an LML rod onto an LB7 piston?

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
So I've been out of the loop for a while... but is it true that you can run to the dealership and grab an lml piston for like $30? lol. I remember hearing that a while back

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
i remember hearing that, but for some reason i also remember hearing that they raised the price?? dont quote me on that...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
so we can fit an aftermarket rod in an LML piston, but can we fit an LML rod onto an LB7 piston?

No, its the other way around. A rod designed for a 2001-2010 piston (whether its aftermarket, stock LB7, stock LLY, stock LBZ, etc) will NOT fit in a 2011+ LML piston.

You can make a carillo fit into an LML piston, you just have to have the small end of the rod machined down a bit.

Yes, you could theoretically put an LB7 piston on an LML rod I think.

I think...I could be wrong.

Dirtymaxx03

Aug 4, 2009
by the sounds of it the LML rods are doing pretty good in the higher hp range. Seems like they would make a good choice for a budget build with lb7 pistons, assuming that would work and assuming the LML rod holds up better than the lbz/lmm rods are. only time will tell.

someone needs to make a machine powered by hydraulics that can "squish" on a rod and see how many psi of downward force it takes to bend it.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Cost of LML rods?

$60

2011 LML rods and 2012 LML rods list different part numbers. They are both the same price though.

2011 and 2012 LML pistons also list different part numbers. I couldnt seem to find a price on 2012 LML pistons, but the 2011 LML pistons are still $21

even a whole LML crankshaft brand new is only $670.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
compare that to $210 for an LBZ/LMM rod, $1200 for an LBZ/LMM crankshaft, and $110 for an LMM/LBZ piston.

Also keep in mind, the prices I listed are from Parts Zone Online, which is as good a price as you are going to get (I love PartsZoneOnline, they are fairly close to me in PA, they ship fast, their prices are just as good as GM Parts Direct, they have a phone number, and they dont dick you around on extra shipping $$ to make up for low prices, a la GM parts direct).... dealer list price on an LMM crankshaft is over $1700.

apparently some minor changes were made to the pistons and rods between 2011 and 2012...Brayden/Jneal will know exactly what was changed because IIRC they ran into some issues with that stock LML short block build. Something about the rod bearings are different, I dunno.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
He said in his thread there were two styles of rods one had the same berings as the 01-10 and the other had diff size berings.
Also there was a gm tech that said somthing about the LML rods twisting at higher hp levels but would not explain.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Also there was a gm tech that said somthing about the LML rods twisting at higher hp levels but would not explain.

That wasnt a GM [dealer] tech, that was DmaxVaz...he does work for GM Powertrain and was involved with early some of the testing/development of the LML. I think he was in the dyno department...basically the engineers give him an engine and say "run it on the dyno and break it, so we can see what the weak link is and figure out how to make it better".

Thats just from what I remember when he posted way back...his job/department might have changed recently?

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Thanks for the info Ben. This is really good to know. I wonder if those rods could handle 700+ with a S400 framed single? I'm sure they could for a period, I guess I'm more referring to a DD and weekend warrior.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
Your right I should not have said tech not sure what to call him. And it sounded like he could not explain because of working for GM.:secret:

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Who has highest HP LML build? So far I still think it's Jneal, followed by the slow LML that Industrial put their twin kit on that made 605.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
Who has highest HP LML build? So far I still think it's Jneal, followed by the slow LML that Industrial put their twin kit on that made 605.

From what I've read, he likes the build and is satisfied with it; however, his words were that he spends too much time working to do much driving. He hasn't put it up to the test is what I'm gathering. Crying shame IMO.