LML mods and dyno testing begins

meshanic

All In Trucks
Dec 9, 2010
West Texas
It'll be interesting to see if the lift pump helps it hold rail pressure. CP4 might be maxed at 500 hp. Pretty impressive results so far.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It'll be interesting to see if the lift pump helps it hold rail pressure. CP4 might be maxed at 500 hp. Pretty impressive results so far.

Mine was dropping to 21,000 without the lift pump and now it holds 29,000. I'd say it made a significant diffrence, at least on my truck. Also, the cp4 is able to push these trucks up to 550 rwhp once a lift pump is installed...

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm on a tune that drops to around 25-25.5k and it's healthy for sure, but thinking it is 550hp is a wet dream. I guess it around 500 but I'll know when I get to go to the track.

I have an intake, 5" exhaust, EGR blocked, and lift pump. Little MikeL teams tweak is holding very well, I abuse it daily.

Now the turbo vane BS is a pain. It will open the vanes like the other guys have talked about. I actually have it tricked at the sensor to build more boost at part throttle right now and it's better but that doesn't solve the boost drop under throttle. I have to feather into it, seems like if you roll into the throttle soft to start it will come up perfectly but if you get aggressive you can actually see boost fall until you back off slightly. That's with the converter locked cruising in 5th or 6th

F'n love my 2015 LML!!! 23k miles and every day I get in it I love it more :thumb:

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I drove mine over a pass yesterday that topped 5300 ft elevation. I noticed that the vanes stayed at a higher percent the higher I climbed the only time I saw them open to 0% was on a hard run up to 110 mph. there's along straight stretch and I let er eat to pass some rigs. and the post turbo Egt's got pretty high by the time I let out of it. like 1150 lol. so I would imagine they were 1400+ at the manifold. other then that the vanes were staying at no less then 15 % on a pretty hard run up to 90+ this is on a healthy tune 1650us. and using Mikes L Trans Mod which holds well.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I didn't get a chance to test on the stock tune as it went into regen right after the performance tune test.

That was fun as the 9th injector didn't seal properly and urea was spraying out everywhere. So for those that install a down pipe, make sure the copper washer is removed from the injector (at least in this case). The nut tightened up fine but I didn't notice the injector didn't seal properly. Basically it is like a flare nut and the injector needs to seat down against the bore in the down pipe. I'm glad that stuff isn't flammable, lol.

I'll try and do some more dyno testing to see what the stock tune does with current mods.

Next up a lift pump.

WI Huck

Where does the time go?
Feb 8, 2012
Good information. I would have never expected to see any gains like you are by changing out parts and keeping the DPF. I always thought the biggest restrictions were there and eliminating smaller restrictions in the system without fixing the biggest restriction would be useless. The only explanation would be that the DPF is not the biggest restriction after all. Thanks for the info! :beer

Dukcaln

Dec 6, 2014
Nor California
Got the downpipe installed and put it on the dyno. I don't have back to back, same day numbers but I used same load, same tank of fuel, and same SAE correction factor. The truck is dropping rail psi bad still, lift pump is next test.

Dyno'd 500.xx RWHP right on the money with 40 soot grams (basically ready for a regen ).

So truck mods to date to hit this number; MikeL trans, ATP tuning, S & B dry intake, MBRP downpipe. I'm taking it to the track this weekend to compete in a NHRA event. It is a heavy pig now with the heavy bumpers and winch added to the aftermarket tires. Should be a decent test on real world HP.

Very nice Rob

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Any updates? Is anyone still making an emissions friendly twin kit? I know someone did once can't remember who. Maybe that was lmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I thought wherli fab and duramaxtuner were sorta teamed up on a kit for the lml that was dpf friendly.

Last edited:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
Vendor/Sponsor
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
I have an LML specific BMW GT3794va that seems to be the best choice right now with a ton of good feedback on it as a single and twinned up. Yes the LML has been beyond frustrating to say the least dealing with turbo issues and tuning.

Beebe

Sep 1, 2014
Mark are you selling the LML 3794 now or are you still testing? I know tuning is not 100% but your saying it's close. Also are you tuning LMLs now or will you be soon?