LML Internals

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Note the lack of re-enforcing steel inserts. This piston is not made to take the abuse the stock LB7/LMM is IMO. If/when I get a chance, I'll run it through the FEA and see how it stacks up.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Is it just me or does the metal of the lml look grainy?(i think thats the word I want to use) Almost looks like there is "trash" in it?:confused:

It makes me wonder if it's forged. Note the casting core markers on the the LBZ on the inside skirt that are missing on the LML.

Unlikely though. If it is, that is some wicked technology to get the oiling ring and top ring insert into a forging. They would have to cast first, then not deform the ring or insert during the forge.

But 20 years ago, I would have thought the LB7 piston was impossible to cast.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
The LML is definitely a cast piston. The casting technique is very similar to that of the LBZ/LMM. I don't expect these to be any better than the LBZ/LMM piston, with regard to durability.

The thinner rod allows for more mass in the piston, which should prevent cracking, however the overall density of the material will still burn through, as is so common on the LBZ/LMM pistons.

LML rod is on the right. They certainly reduced the load capacity of the wrist pin bushing/small end of the rod by narrowing it down.

Attachments

• LB7 LBZ LML 001.jpg
    LB7 LBZ LML 001.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The LML is definitely a cast piston. The casting technique is very similar to that of the LBZ/LMM. ...

Not a die maker, but many of my customers are:

Note that the LBZ/LLY is a 3 or 4-piece inside core. Normally the center pulls down, the R/L halves push in, to eject the part. Die casting.

This is often necessary because as the aluminum cools, it locks onto the die and can't be ejected.

The LML appears to be a 1 piece core. Forgings are usually 1 piece, or castings that don't have internal (female) surfaces that will stop ejection.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
I ran the LML block, crank, oil pump, oil pan and front cover for one pulling season. The block is 20 lbs heavier than the LBZ/LMM block and the oil pump has 11% more volume.

It seems as if the block and oiling system may be better in the LML, but the rods and pistons are no better (and possibly worse).

Seeing as how rods are replaced in a performance build anyways, that doesn't really matter, just leaving the pistons as a possible additional cost (most use different pistons in their builds anyways).

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
This one died off a while ago I was wondering if anyone had the balls or wipes their ass with $100 and likes to gamble gave these a shot in 600hp or bigger motor :D