Lml crank doesnt seem to fit

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Well went to sit LML crank in my lb7 block after i Mic'd all the mains with DBG and micrometer to double check my measurements with plastigauge (which i know isnt that accurate but im weird about over checking stuff like that) and the crank sits in the mains fine but the crank counterweights hit the block. Am i going crazy or is there something im missing here. I checked the numbers on the box and it is an lml crank. Bought it from gm parts direct.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
There is not a problem with that combination. Maybe double check very closely that the crank is actually seated on the mains.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
I know it was seated bc i torqued the main caps on and they were seated fine and the girdle was seated to the bottom of the block as well. ill post up a video or some pictures to show you whats going on.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Dont mind the smudge on the crank its just from the plastigauge.

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 164
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 175

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Looks like a super early lb7 block? Not sure if that explains the issue or not. I just learned in the past couple weeks that there are differences in the castings, but im only aware of external features.

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
ya i dont see this thing working at all. kinda bummed if thats the case. may have a whole bunch of built motor parts for sale. Im building a 6.0 turbo gasser too and could use the money for that. ive got too much shit going on and a lil fed up with the dmax stuff right now. If anyone has any ideas id really appreciate some help on this.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Die grinder to the block should do the trick.........lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
I put a LML crank in a lb7/lly block, what year idk
Its definitely tighter clearance than a lbz/LMM block

X2 clearance the main web for the counter weight

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
There shouldn't be a problem clearancing the block. That's what you do with small block chevy stroker motors. Usually have to clearance the pan rail and bottom of a couple cylinders on those. Just get .100 clearance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Kansan

Aug 30, 2013
Topeka, KS
Thanks for the replys. This block is already machined ,has freeze plugs and been painted ready to assemble so id like to use it if i can. ALready spent money on this one and dont want to pay for machine work again if i can help it. Ill look again and see if i can get enough clearance by using die grinder. I thought about that but wanted some opinions on it. Ill just have to yank freeze plugs out of it and clean it really well before assembling if thats the case.