LML build test

dmaxvaz

wannabe puller
Nov 22, 2006
METRO DETROIT
IMO I think the rods will be ~10% stronger than LBZ/LMM, thats about it.

pistons are anyones guess.
The rods are weaker. For some reason the rods like to twist in the lml at higher hp levels. It looks like they are thinner up top at the wristpin area. the pistons are not that great either; I believe they are hyperutectic material. He is better off using lbz rods and lb7 pistons than the lml stuff.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
The rods are weaker. For some reason the rods like to twist in the lml at higher hp levels. It looks like they are thinner up top at the wristpin area. the pistons are not that great either; I believe they are hyperutectic material. He is better off using lbz rods and lb7 pistons than the lml stuff.

The whole point is to see how the LML parts hold up, not use stuff that we already know about.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
We can imagine how they maybe stronger or weaker by looking at them, but how do you know they tend to twist? Just another guess, or is that a fact? Not knocking just curious
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Is it too much to ask that you explain how you know or got this info? Its obvious you have seen some testing or know of a parts failure already. Were here to learn, thanks for your help.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
We can imagine how they maybe stronger or weaker by looking at them, but how do you know they tend to twist? Just another guess, or is that a fact? Not knocking just curious
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

I don't aim to speak for dmaxvaz but I believe he's a tech for GM that gets to dyno engines (including the dmax) long before they are ever put in trucks... He was talking about the LML a good bit before the trucks were out. :thumb: Evidently, it appears he's pushed a couple to their limits. :D

Dec 2, 2006
TN
I don't aim to speak for dmaxvaz but I believe he's a tech for GM that gets to dyno engines (including the dmax) long before they are ever put in trucks... He was talking about the LML a good bit before the trucks were out. :thumb: Evidently, it appears he's pushed a couple to their limits. :D

X2...

Good info.

We'll be glad to listen to all you know!

Seems like everytime I buy a damn new truck something gets worse on them.. :confused:

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
X2...

Good info.

We'll be glad to listen to all you know!

Seems like everytime I buy a damn new truck something gets worse on them.. :confused:

Sad part is Vasile is limited to what he can say and he can not show pics. Camaras are not allowed inside he would be fired no pass go. I could post alot more info then what I do already but I can not for legal reasons.

Last edited:

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Got the block all cleaned up. Installed the crank, cam, oil pump, front geartrain, and front cover. One thing I did find out that's different that I didn't expect was the rod bearings are different from previous models. So I have to order LML rod bearings from GM to continue.