LML build test

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
I've decided to retire the puller from full time 2.6 duty. I want to put it on the street and pull it in 2.5 class around here on occasion. We had a LML engine short block at the shop, so I decided to tear it down and rebuild it. I ordered new stock LML rods and .020 stock LML pistons for it. Parts are in I am just waiting on the block to return from the machine shop. The build will consist of stock short block with main studs and stock delipped pistons, with my LBZ top end on it with a 2.5 S400. To my knowledge nobody has pushed a LML to this level, I know it's not completely stock having main studs and delipped LML pistons but I wanted to added a little bit of insurance to it. We are making up tooling to measure piston height without removing the heads so we can monitor the condition of the rods. It should hopefully be going in the next month or so. I will keep you all updated on the build and results.

1chevy02

Jun 23, 2009
Nice:thumb: Keep us updated. Seems the 6.4 is holding some power with this setup. Just from looking at the parts do they "look" stronger? What power level are you expecting it to hold?

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Good to hear, Keep us updated:thumb:

Also curious what you think of the pistons and rods compared to other model engines??

What compression will you be running with the de lipped pistons since the LML's are already a low 16.0 to 1?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
more secrets that nobody wants to talk about I guess. I think the reason people keep things secret like this is because they either

A) hope they will get something out of the MFG if they dont tell anyone else about the failure (fat chance!)
B) are so mad about the failure that they dont want to tell anyone else, so when another person who has the same product has a failure, the first guy doesnt feel so down in the dumps that 'his was the only one that failed'

Ben

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
how about some pictures and specs in a new thread so we can all learn from the failure and hopefully prevent future issues

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
more secrets that nobody wants to talk about I guess. I think the reason people keep things secret like this is because they either

A) hope they will get something out of the MFG if they dont tell anyone else about the failure (fat chance!)
B) are so mad about the failure that they dont want to tell anyone else, so when another person who has the same product has a failure, the first guy doesnt feel so down in the dumps that 'his was the only one that failed'

Ben

C) The guy that had the failure is having everything inspected by the manufacturer and others to find out why the failure happened before he gets on the internet and sticks his foot in his mouth.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
C) The guy that had the failure is having everything inspected by the manufacturer and others to find out why the failure happened before he gets on the internet and sticks his foot in his mouth.

when you get results please let us know what you find, was there any piston damage involved?