LML build finally runs.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Yesterday I finished my engine up and got it installed and running. Build consits of:

LML short block. Bored .020 over, delipped LML pistons, gen 2 LML rods, keyed crank/cam, main studs, balanced. With my original LBZ topend installed, slightly hand potted heads, stock LBZ CP3, head studs, 75% over nozzles, with a billet S463.

Got in running, but that's about it, it has no downpipe, intake or cac piping so I couldn't do much with it but let it idle. The first thing I did notice was the oil pressure was 108psi at idle with oil temp around 80 degrees. LBZ oil pump would never do that. But so far everything looks good. I'll have it completely done and drivable next weekend and see what it has. My original plan was to sled pull it in 2.5 class. But I've completely stripped anything and everything off the truck for sled pulling. So instead I think I'm gonna try to run 11.90 class with it if it will do it without pushing it very hard. But being a reg cab, I can get it pretty light.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Be interesting to see how it holds up. You plan on putting anymore fuel to it? What is a billet S463 capable of when pushed hard?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Be interesting to see how it holds up. You plan on putting anymore fuel to it? What is a billet S463 capable of when pushed hard?

The turbo I have on there now came off a truck that dyno'ed 792hp two weeks ago. I will never come close to that as I plan on adding no more fuel, stock cp3 is all it'll have. I wanted the engine to have a power limiter and the cp3 is it. I know I could limit it with the tune if I had bigger fuel but that would never happen. I've already been through more engines than 99% percent of members here, so I wanna make this one the last.....hopefully.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
The turbo I have on there now came off a truck that dyno'ed 792hp two weeks ago. I will never come close to that as I plan on adding no more fuel, stock cp3 is all it'll have. I wanted the engine to have a power limiter and the cp3 is it. I know I could limit it with the tune if I had bigger fuel but that would never happen. I've already been through more engines than 99% percent of members here, so I wanna make this one the last.....hopefully.

Haha I hear ya I have been through one myself and that was enough for me. That is pretty impressive for that small of turbo, how does it spool and DD can you tow with it?

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Haha I hear ya I have been through one myself and that was enough for me. That is pretty impressive for that small of turbo, how does it spool and DD can you tow with it?

The turbo came off a 6.7 cummins puller. He DD'ed it all the time. Not sure if he ever towed with it or not. But the same turbo on a Built LMM dyno'ed I believe 73?hp.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
thats awesome to hear that its up and running...hopefully the LML parts prove to be pretty decent...they are certainly priced right.

What do you mean by gen 2 LML rods? Were there two revisions on the LML rods? Why/when did they change?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Congrats Jerrod. :thumb: Are you hoping the LML bottom holds 600+ for a while? Also, x2 on Ben's questions.

Bryce418

Still slow
Oct 5, 2009
thats awesome to hear that its up and running...hopefully the LML parts prove to be pretty decent...they are certainly priced right.

What do you mean by gen 2 LML rods? Were there two revisions on the LML rods? Why/when did they change?

He mentioned the rod differences earlier in the thread, it's a bearing difference, some use older dmax bearings.

I would love to see lml parts work also, I not holding my breath but I'll remain optimistic.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Lml pistons are already in high horse trucks Fwiw. I don't no the abuse and mileage on those, but its been done. I'm curious to see the results of this build

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana

There were 2 versions of rods. Why and when they changed I can't answer. The only differences I noticed visually are the orientation of the rod bearing locating tangs. The only rods available are the 2nd version, which requires you to run GM rod bearings.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Congrats Jerrod. :thumb: Are you hoping the LML bottom holds 600+ for a while? Also, x2 on Ben's questions.

I'm hoping it will be reliable at 550hp. My goal is to get the weight of the truck down enough to be able to run a 11.90 and be very close to 550. IIRC when we drag raced it, with all the pulling stuff still on it, it weighed 6400lbs. Now that it's been stripped of all the pulling stuff...who knows.

Schwinn68

little gearhead
Jan 9, 2008
Minooka IL
I've been following the other thread to and am glad to see this motor fire up!

how much money are the lml rods pistons and gm bearings? would any extra machining be needed to fit these in the early engines? at 5000 for billet rods and custom pistons it would be nice to have an option for the guys who will stay around 700 rwhp

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
LML approximate prices from the dealer

Rods $45 each
Pistons $23 each
Rod bearings $5

And no, there would be no additional machine work involved. You can drop a LML piston and rod into any duramax, you cannot put any piston but a LML piston on a LML rod and vice versa.

Last edited: