Wannabe EFILive Tuner
New cleaned up pics:D
IMG_1897.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner
Not hard since one of my best friends is a professional painter:D

We took them off the truck, removed all the plastic and sanded them with 400grit till they looked dull. Washed them off with some kind of cleaner stuff they use, then he sprayed them with an etching primer, adhesive promoter, couple coats of primer, then the base coat then a couple coats of clear. Then color sand and buff. Took about 4ish hours to do the paint work another 2-3 for removal and isntallation.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
Not hard since one of my best friends is a professional painter:D

We took them off the truck, removed all the plastic and sanded them with 400grit till they looked dull. Washed them off with some kind of cleaner stuff they use, then he sprayed them with an etching primer, adhesive promoter, couple coats of primer, then the base coat then a couple coats of clear. Then color sand and buff. Took about 4ish hours to do the paint work another 2-3 for removal and isntallation.

I was going to do that but i've decided on road armors front and rear. Thanks for the info though!!

Was it a pain to strip the plastic chrome BS off the front gril (the one that has the bowtie and goes in between the headlights)? I want to paint mine.

On Edit: That's a nice looking truck dood!!!!

Last edited:

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
I was going to do that but i've decided on road armors front and rear. Thanks for the info though!!

Was it a pain to strip the plastic chrome BS off the front gril (the one that has the bowtie and goes in between the headlights)? I want to paint mine.

Damn son!! 39.5's on a 6" lift?!?!? :eek: Got any clearance issues?? Rubbing?? I kinda like that look though. Fills the wheel wells out real nice....

EDIT: Nvrmind. Just saw your other thread.

Last edited:

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner

I wanted/want road armors but thats a lot of money tken away from my real project, a 74 Bronco, that Im totally redoing otherwise my truck would have them too.:D

We didnt strip all the chrome off, I hit it with some 600 grit I believe on an orbital sander and got a lot of it knock off then lots of primer to smooth everything out.

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
I wanted/want road armors but thats a lot of money tken away from my real project, a 74 Bronco, that Im totally redoing otherwise my truck would have them too.:D

We didnt strip all the chrome off, I hit it with some 600 grit I believe on an orbital sander and got a lot of it knock off then lots of primer to smooth everything out.

I was going to try and do all the prep work myself then have someone paint it. Trying to keep costs' down as much as possible. I hate how they make that thing, tacky magazine chrome. Should have painted it to match from the factory. Thanks again.

Good Luck on the Bronco!!!

1slow01Z71

Wannabe EFILive Tuner
I was going to try and do all the prep work myself then have someone paint it. Trying to keep costs' down as much as possible. I hate how they make that thing, tacky magazine chrome. Should have painted it to match from the factory. Thanks again.

Good Luck on the Bronco!!!

My best advice to make it look good and not chip is to get an orbital sander and sand teh shit out of it till there isnt any chrome left and you are actually down into the plastic. It will take quite a few coats of primer to get it all looking smoth again it wont chip nearly as easily. I didnt sand all the way through the chrome on mine and even with adhesive promoter and a flex agent it still has some chips in it after 20K miles. When I redo the grille, I will sand all the way through the chrome then spray a couple coats of primer, sand till smooth, couple coats more of primer, whatever it takes to get it all smooth again after sanding then spray the base coats, then use some graffiti clear so it'll be more chip resistant. Keeping a truck looking good is a PITA>:rolleyes:

05' Ditry Duramax

May 3, 2008
Port Orchard Washington
My best advice to make it look good and not chip is to get an orbital sander and sand teh shit out of it till there isnt any chrome left and you are actually down into the plastic. It will take quite a few coats of primer to get it all looking smoth again it wont chip nearly as easily. I didnt sand all the way through the chrome on mine and even with adhesive promoter and a flex agent it still has some chips in it after 20K miles. When I redo the grille, I will sand all the way through the chrome then spray a couple coats of primer, sand till smooth, couple coats more of primer, whatever it takes to get it all smooth again after sanding then spray the base coats, then use some graffiti clear so it'll be more chip resistant. Keeping a truck looking good is a PITA>:rolleyes:

I'm going to print this page out so when I do it I will use your advise. I'm not a painter and I don't have clue how to make it last. Looks like I need to fire the compressor up and get to sanding. I will let the painter know what you recomend.

Keeping a truck looking good in a serious PITA. I'm too anal retentive to own a black truck but I guess it gives me something to focus my OCD on:rofl:

Oh, did you prep the honey chome or just spray it black?

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
1slow, truck looks awesome!...Browning decal is a nice touch.

Can I ask how you did the taillights...what you used, prep work etc? Thats exactly what I want to do to my taillights...I really like how the reflector and back-up lense is still visible.

Also is the rear bumper a sanded stocker, painted stocker, z71 tahoe/sub bumber?

Last edited: